Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,709 Members 46,988 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE]WINDOWS 8 LIVE USB : install it on a USB KEY - UPDATE 11/01/13 - RTM TOO !!!

Tip us?
 
urboy4mbx
Old
#21  
urboy4mbx's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 96
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYCON View Post


No man, u can't format the usb key on which u've installed Win 8.

'cause for the system, it's the C: and so the system partition, u
can't format it, resize it, remove it from usb tray icon...


Hey man...Thanks for the TUT. I got it working fine

Question...when you said

"where X is the letter of the partition used in the USB stick. Reboot and ensure that the PC starts from USB stick. In figure 01 you can see my 8 partitions on the same USB drive where I have Windows 7 32 & 64 BIT, WINDOWS 8 32 & 64 BIT, LINUX Pinguy 32 & 64 BIT, Easeus Todo Backup Recovery with Linux shell"

Do you mean that you can boot to all of these from the same drive? if the answer is yes, which bootloader you're using and how the hell you did it?

Thanks!!!

 
PYCON
Old
#22  
PYCON's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 646
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by urboy4mbx View Post
Hey man...Thanks for the TUT. I got it working fine

Question...when you said

"where X is the letter of the partition used in the USB stick. Reboot and ensure that the PC starts from USB stick. In figure 01 you can see my 8 partitions on the same USB drive where I have Windows 7 32 & 64 BIT, WINDOWS 8 32 & 64 BIT, LINUX Pinguy 32 & 64 BIT, Easeus Todo Backup Recovery with Linux shell"

Do you mean that you can boot to all of these from the same drive? if the answer is yes, which bootloader you're using and how the hell you did it?

Thanks!!!
No mate, no... WIN 7 is impossible to boot from an USB key directly...

I mean that I can boot WIN 7 32 & 64 BIT for INSTALLING ON THE PC
FROM THE USB KEY, THE SAME AS INSTALLING IT FROM THE DVD.....

WIN 7 doesn't run from USB, only WIN XP & WIN 8 I suppose...

While LINUX yes, LINUX runs from USB key...

PHONE : LG Optimus 2X ( P990 ) --- LG G2 32 GB ( D802 )
ROM : CM11.0 4.4.4 Tonyp V 16.07.14 --- CM11.0 4.4.4 Pac Man V 04.07.14
CLOCK : 216 MHz / 1.200 Mhz --- 300 MHz / 2.265 MHz
RECOVERY : TWRP 2.7.1.0 --- TWRP 2.7.1.0




MY WEB SITE : http://pycon.jimdo.com
 
urboy4mbx
Old
(Last edited by urboy4mbx; 29th April 2012 at 02:04 PM.)
#23  
urboy4mbx's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 96
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYCON View Post
No mate, no... WIN 7 is impossible to boot from an USB key directly...

I mean that I can boot WIN 7 32 & 64 BIT for INSTALLING ON THE PC
FROM THE USB KEY, THE SAME AS INSTALLING IT FROM THE DVD.....

WIN 7 doesn't run from USB, only WIN XP & WIN 8 I suppose...

While LINUX yes, LINUX runs from USB key...
Not true...Windows 7 does run from a USB. I got it myself.



---------- Post added at 07:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

I'm running Windows 7, Vista, XP, Acronis, Norton Ghost and other nice application on the same 16GB USB drive.

With grub4dos as bootloader.

 
Erebus671
Old
#24  
Erebus671's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 157
Posts: 787
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Yigo, Guam
Off-topic(kinda): can someone pm me a link to a Linux USB key tutorial?

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium
 
k.janku1
Old
#25  
k.janku1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 115
Posts: 128
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Poznań

 
DONATE TO ME
@hassanselim0

Thanks
 
PYCON
Old
#26  
PYCON's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 646
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by urboy4mbx View Post
Not true...Windows 7 does run from a USB. I got it myself.
Yes but only for the purpose of installing it. 7 can't be installed onto
an USB memory and running as primary O.S. from it. I've never seen
it in 3 years...

PHONE : LG Optimus 2X ( P990 ) --- LG G2 32 GB ( D802 )
ROM : CM11.0 4.4.4 Tonyp V 16.07.14 --- CM11.0 4.4.4 Pac Man V 04.07.14
CLOCK : 216 MHz / 1.200 Mhz --- 300 MHz / 2.265 MHz
RECOVERY : TWRP 2.7.1.0 --- TWRP 2.7.1.0




MY WEB SITE : http://pycon.jimdo.com
 
urboy4mbx
Old
(Last edited by urboy4mbx; 1st May 2012 at 01:09 PM.)
#27  
urboy4mbx's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 96
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYCON View Post
Yes but only for the purpose of installing it. 7 can't be installed onto
an USB memory and running as primary O.S. from it. I've never seen
it in 3 years...
it starts with Windows PE 3.0 (Windows 7 based PE) and ends almost with the same process you use for Windows 8 USB boot :)

Back on topic...Did you created the .exe on your OP???

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

 
PYCON
Old
#28  
PYCON's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 646
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by urboy4mbx View Post
Back on topic...Did you created the .exe on your OP???

What exe ?

PHONE : LG Optimus 2X ( P990 ) --- LG G2 32 GB ( D802 )
ROM : CM11.0 4.4.4 Tonyp V 16.07.14 --- CM11.0 4.4.4 Pac Man V 04.07.14
CLOCK : 216 MHz / 1.200 Mhz --- 300 MHz / 2.265 MHz
RECOVERY : TWRP 2.7.1.0 --- TWRP 2.7.1.0




MY WEB SITE : http://pycon.jimdo.com
 
urboy4mbx
Old
#29  
urboy4mbx's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 96
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYCON View Post
What exe ?
There are two files you uploaded on your first post...is to be ran from the cmd. You created those files???

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium HD app

 
PYCON
Old
#30  
PYCON's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 146
Posts: 646
Join Date: Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by urboy4mbx View Post
There are two files you uploaded on your first post...is to be ran from the cmd. You created those files???

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium HD app
Ohhh no no .... They're extracted from MS ISOs...

PHONE : LG Optimus 2X ( P990 ) --- LG G2 32 GB ( D802 )
ROM : CM11.0 4.4.4 Tonyp V 16.07.14 --- CM11.0 4.4.4 Pac Man V 04.07.14
CLOCK : 216 MHz / 1.200 Mhz --- 300 MHz / 2.265 MHz
RECOVERY : TWRP 2.7.1.0 --- TWRP 2.7.1.0




MY WEB SITE : http://pycon.jimdo.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes