Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,239 Members 50,334 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

quick question

Tip us?

pbanj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Default quick question

i decided i may activate my view but sprint doesn't get coverage in this are. i was wondering if there is anyway to unlock it to work on a different carrier.

i tried searching on here and google but all it showed me was results for rooting and unlocking the bootloader both of which i have done, but i could have missed something it is almost 5am.

any help is appreciated thanks.

sbrownla
Old
Thanks Meter 53
I would consider a tethering plan or rooting your phone to tether that way.

CDMA phones are simply a no go for that. The View is just too good not to keep though. Beautiful device and it works very well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
Current devices: Gear Live, Gear Fit, Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Note 10.1(2012), Galaxy Gear, Galaxy Nexus (for checking out the latest ROMS). Retired devices: Nokia--6800, N95, N900; HTC--SMT5600, TYTN, G1, G2; Samsung--Galaxy Tab; Motorola--Droid X (ugh), Xoom LTE (ugh), Defy (not even sure why I had that thing); LG--Optimus 3D (incredible camera, I should have kept it and miss it terribly)

pbanj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownla View Post
I would consider a tethering plan or rooting your phone to tether that way.

CDMA phones are simply a no go for that. The View is just too good not to keep though. Beautiful device and it works very well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
oh i plan on keeping it, i have had it for a while. was just trying to see if i could get in on someone else. thanks

freak4dell
Old
Thanks Meter 183
I've heard you can make it work on Clear, but if you don't have Sprint service, it's pretty unlikely you'll have Clear service.

bsweetness
Old
Thanks Meter 139
I'm pretty sure you can get it working on Boost Mobile.

With a CDMA device, your options for moving to a device to a different carrier are basically non-existent. You're essentially limited to the carrier that sells the device and any pre-pay carriers (and sometimes small, regional carriers) that use the network of the original carrier.
Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014), iPad Mini

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: Note 8, Nexus 7, TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, TF101, Thrive, gTablet

freak4dell
Old
Thanks Meter 183
Unfortunately, Boost is going to have the same issue, since they are just a prepaid brand of Sprint. You can try PagePlus, though their data rates aren't exactly the cheapest.
The Following User Says Thank You to freak4dell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bsweetness
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by freak4dell View Post
Unfortunately, Boost is going to have the same issue, since they are just a prepaid brand of Sprint. You can try PagePlus, though their data rates aren't exactly the cheapest.
Touché. Not sure what I was thinking there.
Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014), iPad Mini

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: Note 8, Nexus 7, TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, TF101, Thrive, gTablet

pbanj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
the only ones who get service in my area are us cell and Verizon, so it looks like im s**t out of luck

Antiph3d
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Yeah, if you don't get good Sprint service you count Boost Mobile out. I'm on Boost and love it. I'm on the $15 a month plan and its worked out real good for me. The speeds are acceptable and are more than enough to listen to an MLB game or watch a movie on Netflix without constant buffering. Groove ip and google voice give me an extra phone number with unlimited calling if I should ever need it.

Your best bet is to tether like someone above me has posted. Only real drawback to that is that tethering drains your battery rather quickly.

Sent from my PG41200 using xda premium

freak4dell
Old
Thanks Meter 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiph3d View Post
Yeah, if you don't get good Sprint service you count Boost Mobile out. I'm on Boost and love it. I'm on the $15 a month plan and its worked out real good for me. The speeds are acceptable and are more than enough to listen to an MLB game or watch a movie on Netflix without constant buffering. Groove ip and google voice give me an extra phone number with unlimited calling if I should ever need it.

Your best bet is to tether like someone above me has posted. Only real drawback to that is that tethering drains your battery rather quickly.

Sent from my PG41200 using xda premium
How are you doing a $15/month plan? I don't see anything like that on their website.

Also, have they started allowing WiMax access yet? I remember reading something about Boost having access to the Clear network soon.