5,600,571 Members 33,002 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][0.0.7.3]ICS CM9 ThinkPad Tablet (Alpha)

Tip us?

ker2gsr
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhandsome18 View Post
First of all, I'd be highly surprised if lenovo kept to their word and released ics in May. Look how long it took them to release ota 2 with all that carrier certification rubbish. Why carriers have a say in a business tablet is beyond my imagination but that's another matter.

Secondly, I agree that aokp seems to be slightly better than cm9 so maybe we can work together and make use of the wonderful work koshu and Jon have done to improve the port.
I'd love too I have gotten as far as setting up Ubuntu to be able to build lol I've viewed a few videos on building from source if we can get more people involved to help out ahem ahem koshu and Jon to point in the right direction I'm far to "newb" to attempt

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Tchitcherine
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Well, actually, there has been some progress on the 3G front.
I talked to Koshu and he shared his 3G code with me, and surprisingly it worked on my tablet.
I haven't heard back from him yet if he could reproduce it on his end, but I've been successfully using CM9 with 3G for the last few days.
If you want to try it out for yourself, my source tree (with build instructions) is available at github: https://github.com/jbaiter
The more people get involved in this the better, just fork the code on Github, start hacking and report on your results :)

Koshu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 438

DONATE TO ME
Still trying to test it, but having some problems in my build environment. As soon as i get it working again i will test it. Sorry, for keeping silent here.

In which points do you prefer AOKP over CM9? Just curious, haven't tried AOKP yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Koshu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JamMasterClay
Old
Thanks Meter 572

DONATE TO ME
I love the customization control for the nav bar (adding additional buttons, changing them through settings), I like that you can hid the nav bar and have the control in the power menu, I like the control over the status bar (What toggles to show, clock settings, battery icon settings. I haven't used CM9 in a couple months, but when I had it installed on my Nexus with boot manager I never used it. IMO there was nothing in CM9 that isn't in AOKP, but there is stuff in AOKP not in CM9. When I get a chance I'll install the newest version of CM9 on my GNex and see if anything's changed.

-Posted from my Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet
Don't like this floating cascade icon that appears in some of your MultiWindow apps on your Galaxy Note 10.1?

Click here to change it!

obscure.detour
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshu View Post
Still trying to test it, but having some problems in my build environment. As soon as i get it working again i will test it. Sorry, for keeping silent here.

In which points do you prefer AOKP over CM9? Just curious, haven't tried AOKP yet.
Thanks for the update.

As for the preference of AOKP than CM9, in my experience AOKP seems more polished and feature-rich than CM9. I was running CM9 on my Nexus S and my girl's HP TouchPad when I tried AOKP out a few months back. I've been running AOKP on both devices ever since.

AOKP also has far less devices in comparison to CM9 and a much much higher tablet/phone ratio than CM9. After comparing CM9 and AOKP on a tablet, I feel that AOKP is more tablet oriented than CM9. IMO, the UI in AOKP is also more streamlined for a tablet experience than CM9. There are already many tablets supported by AOKP that have very similar internals with our beloved TPT. Team Kang is also willing to add devices as long as there is a maintainer for said device.

Also to reiterate what JamMasterClay said, AOKP's ROM Control customization are absolutely phenomenal. Complete customization of the UI Nav bar, lockscreen options, power menu and cooked in weather status. Also, power saving functionality and many more customization options including start-up tweaks, etc.

I guess in the end all the customization isn't necessary, but extremely useful. And I could be wrong in my assumption, but with AOKP's far less devices and more that are similar to our specific device's specification it could be potentially easier to maintain.

Just my 2 cents Of course it doesn't matter all that much. I just find AOKP extremely polished and very nice on tablets and even on my Nexus S.
Current:
Nexus 4 | Stock 4.4 Rooted
Nvidia EVGA Tegra Note 7 | Stock 4.2.2
ThinkPad Tablet | 183822U | CM10 kang

Oldies:
Nexus S | i9020t | Sold.
Nexus One | Amon_RA 2.2.1 | CM 7.2
HP TouchPad | Gone.

jaba_cz
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchitcherine View Post
If you want to try it out for yourself, my source tree (with build instructions) is available at github: https://github.com/jbaiter
The more people get involved in this the better, just fork the code on Github, start hacking and report on your results :)
Well ... maybe I'm ready to jump in. But I definitely need guide how to start. Are you willing to lead me into?

Tchitcherine
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Well, I suggest you first start by reading the build instructions:
https://github.com/jbaiter/thinkpad_...ter/README.rst
Then, when you have a complete source tree and have built a working rom, tackle one of the bugs or features that you are missing.
How you do this depends on the issue, it mostly starts with reading the logfiles, then consulting the related source code, fiddling with it, see if it helps, if it didn't, start from step one again
When you think your code is ready for the public, create your own fork of the relevant repository on github and send a pull request to Koshu if you are confident that your code is working.
Of course you will need to know at least some Java (or at least have the ambition to learn it), although some of the hairier issues will require knowledge in C and possibly C++, but you can always skip those

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using XDA

darkhandsome18
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchitcherine View Post
Well, actually, there has been some progress on the 3G front.
As far as am concerned, that's quite an understatement. You've got 3g working and you say there's being "some progress". But if you've got it working maybe you could release a patch or a rom, that may take the workload off Koshu and I'm glad someone else with android knowledge is helping out with the development.
On a more serious note 3g is quite an important part of this rom for me as it makes it a truly 'mobile' tablet, not just a wifi-only slate. I'm pretty excited about it working. What version of the tablet have u got it working on? as we know the US and UK tpts are the same maybe u could release an update or upload a clean backup (only system no data) that may help get 3g on some of the tablets.

Koshu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 438

DONATE TO ME
The 3G card thats working is the ericcsson one. So devices with the gobi card (US(?), UK(?)) will likely not work. But getting the ericcsson card working completely (which we own ourselfs) might help getting the gobi card working, too.

darkhandsome18
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Default Didn't 3g work on both cards on honeycomb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshu View Post
The 3G card thats working is the ericcsson one. So devices with the gobi card (US(?), UK(?)) will likely not work. But getting the ericcsson card working completely (which we own ourselfs) might help getting the gobi card working, too.
If I'm not mistaken, there were some tutorials somewhere for attaching Gobi cards to the wifi-only thinkpads. I think I saw a video on thinkpadtabletforums.com on how to do it. My point is, the instructions where to install the hardware and it would work. This suggests that the thinkpad already had the drivers on honeycomb. Isn't it possible to get the code off honeycomb or something.