Why Windows 8 WILL and WONT FAIL.

Search This thread

darko94

Feb 10, 2011
Novi Bečej
I would like if Windows 8 would have various editions. For example tablet version would have Metro as a homescreen while desktop version would have the usual Windows 7 desktop with some influence of Metro.
I think that unification is not so good thing. Why have something that does many jobs okay when you could have something that does one job perfect.

Reactions: Teamscrooge

Rakeesh_j

Jan 13, 2010
There is way to change it though. Just download a third party application, and your free of metro.

TEAM PERFECTION...
THE PERFECTIONISTS...

That's kinda lame though. Windows 7 is the first windows OS since 95 that works the way I want it to out of the box (except for the thing where it hides file extensions, but that's an easy fix.)

It would be annoying having to go back to making mass customizations again every time I reformat.

7, Media centre??? what on earth do you mean, that's the only part of Win 8 that MS has openly said they haven't touched since 7 and that UI isn't that different from the previous versions of MCE

That may be true, but when you upgrade to windows 8, it will uninstall WMC, and you have to pay to put it back on again.

Now THAT is gay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Teamscrooge

JAG131990

Jul 17, 2011
I would like if Windows 8 would have various editions. For example tablet version would have Metro as a homescreen while desktop version would have the usual Windows 7 desktop with some influence of Metro.
I think that unification is not so good thing. Why have something that does many jobs okay when you could have something that does one job perfect.

Brilliant. Give the power to the user build the OS to be multi platform but allow user to select which version they want to run depending on hardware its installed on..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Teamscrooge

Apr 30, 2012
New York
Don't get to excited

It will fail because based on my consumer preview, it is not a OS for a computer. It is basically on for a tablet. Although society will get used to it... I am going to need some major time for adjustment. For current Windows 7 users I would highly recommend staying with your current OS....

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
That's kinda lame though. Windows 7 is the first windows OS since 95 that works the way I want it to out of the box (except for the thing where it hides file extensions, but that's an easy fix.)

That may be true, but when you upgrade to windows 8, it will uninstall WMC, and you have to pay to put it back on again.

Now THAT is gay.

since 95?? I think your wearing rose tinted glasses, 95 was a terrible piece of work, other than a design concept it was garbage and wasn't fixed until 98 SE

Interesting comment on WMC, you got a link to that? I did hear that pro wasn't getting WMC but was available as an add on pack, it didn't say if it was charged for though and the piece I saw didn't say anything about it uninstalling WMC if you upgrade so a link would be handy to clear that one up

At least they're bringing back the Start Menu.

Can't wait to see how the Release Canidate looks. :)

Sent from my CM7 Backflip

They might bring it back, unless you have a link to say otherwise? ive heard from some MS folk that it was disabled to force people to use and develop the new UI but ive not heard it being confirmed as coming back

i don't like windows 7. xp means a great service to me. hope windows 8 will show some extreme.....

:rolleyes:

It will fail because based on my consumer preview, it is not a OS for a computer. It is basically on for a tablet. Although society will get used to it... I am going to need some major time for adjustment. For current Windows 7 users I would highly recommend staying with your current OS....

ok, im trying to understand this, I really am, but given that im an admin and at home consider myself at the very least a power user doing all sorts of stuff, I am finding it hard to understand how people are finding this UI hard. its lightning quick, and very efficient ONCE you get the hang of it. that is the problem I feel but that doesn't change the fact that I picked it up in a couple of weeks and refined it in a couple of more weeks, I don't consider myself some super talented computer god so why is it myself and many others can pick it up and yet others cant....

genuine question folks, id love to hear some answers?

jasongw

The Windows 7 UI is not 15 years old. Similar != Same. It doesn't suprise me that someone who would say that is fine with a Metro desktop, though

Actually, the majority of the Windows 7 UI *IS* 15 years old. In fact, the majority of all UI's--PC and Mac--is over 30 years old, based on Xerox Parc. The Metro UI design is, truly, the first dramatic jump in UI design in the last 3 decades.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

The answer to why their aiming at convergence is so obvious, I honestly don't know how anyone can miss it: ease of use. If UI's across various devices are functionally similar or the same, those devices become far easier to use, learn, and adapt to. If you can go from your desktop to your laptop to your tablet to your games console to your phone, and the user experience is fundamentally the same, that's comfortable and familiar--and let's face it, comfortable and familiar SELL.

We could argue that because we're using 30 year old UI design paradigms on Windows 7 and below, Mac OSX, iOS and Android, those are already comfortable and familiar, and that's true--they are. But they're also limited to user experiences that are based on the maximum capabilities of systems from 30 years ago. Metro is an attempt to make UI's simpler and more accessible, first and foremost (and it succeeds brilliantly at doing so). As a secondary matter its purpose is to create a "futuristic," highly optimized and highly familiar ecosystem that not only will people buy into for the long term, but they'll enjoy using.

Whatever Microsoft can be accused of doing here, "charging blindly down the path" is absolutely NOT something they're doing. Every stroke of the new paradigm is purposeful so far, and bring new capabilities that existing UI's lack. They're also following countless studies about usability and productivity, which are and ought to be core focus elements of any UI designer in 2012.

Windows 8 will be a hard sell, not because there's anything wrong about it, but because it's DIFFERENT. It changes the paradigm of how we interact with computers, and that's going to scare a fair number of people. But at the end of the day, Microsoft has the expertise and the marketing muscle to push this into the enterprise and to the consumer space, and they're not stupid--they know what a risk it is. But ALL innovation entails risk, and comes with the possibility of great reward. That's what MS is looking toward, and they're right to do so.

Windows 8 will do fine, just you watch. In less than a year it will sell more copies than every version of OSX combined for the last 28 years, and in 5 years the Metro UI will be the dominant, de-facto user interface on most consumer PC's, while the enterprise will be performing major rollouts of Windows 9.

I'm not at all worried about Microsoft's future success with this UI.

I dont know precisely why all the operating systems are trying for convergence so hard. The current state of play is that Windows is defacto for computers, IOS is defacto for tablets and Android is becoming the largest player in the smartphone world, slowly but surely. Three differing systems. It's even affecting Linux, Unity and Gnome3 being obviously designed with tablet considerations... and being visually bloated. The former being the reason I'm transitioning to Debian. There seems to be a lot of redesign for designs sake.

MS have pinned much on Metro... trying to unify WinPhone7, XBox, Tablets and PC... and really are charging blindly down that path. I see a shipping drop for MS if Windows ships with forced Metro... and massive user backlash, of unseen proportions. Having tried to program on the thing... im quite certain its hateful. It might be a content consumption OS but its useless for real work. It could not only be a diaster on the PC but have a knock on effect to products with similar interfaces, putting people off those products.

People expect Windows to just be similar, and I dread to think what support will be like, and the massive amounts of user training that will be required on corporate levels. Getting users to follow any instructions at all is like herding cats. A long and torrid time for IT support awaits, that much is certain. MS don't have the luxury of being on the forefront of design, they need to be simple to transition between.

This has the feeling of Vista, but worse. The technology enthiusiasts aren't overly fussed from what I read, and plenty of them run IT departments. I can't see corporates being on side, and they are losing enthiusiasts... so really they have those poor people who buy a new PC like a few years ago, getting lumped with Vista... they couldn't even force gamers with the delights of DX10. IT budgets are tight, and training isn't cheap. Really poor timing.

All I want is a choice to disable Metro, because Windows 8 would be seriously great otherwise. Unless something drastic is done, its going to fail, and fail hard.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

I think I agree with you here man. I more or less had similar thoughts.
Desktop will be a big problem. MS is pushing hard so that devs come and design apps. I am using a Hackintosh, OS X Lion and believe me, its a great experience. For Apple, it's the other way round. Devs knock on their door.

Anyways, this is what I have to say. I may be wrong.

I'm a Mac owner, using OSX Lion with Windows 7 and 8 in triple boot on my Macbook Pro, and I completely disagree. Apple is a TERRIBLE experience because OSX lacks too many very basic features, lacks enterprise management features and has a much, MUCH narrower selection of apps than does Windows. To say that MS is pushing developers to design apps is true; they're offering free tools, free support, and in some cases even free hardware, but they don't have any ability to force developers to do anything, nor do they need to do so. Further, if it were true that the Windows developer situation was the opposite of OSX, then Mac OSX would have far more apps than Windows--and it doesn't, not even close. After almost a year of having an OSX app store, they've just recently cracked 10,000 apps. In roughly 18 months of having the Windows phone marketplace, MS has 85,000 apps, and you can expect that the same thing will happen with Windows 8. There will be thousands of Metro style apps available at launch, and inside of one year, Windows 8's marketplace will have more apps than Apple's for OSX. Windows itself, excluding the marketplace, already has orders of magnitude more apps than OSX, and that won't change any time soon.

Why? Simple: Windows is more than 90% of the worldwide OS market, and developers are like anyone else: they're selfish and want to turn a profit, put money in their pockets so they can take care of themselves and their loved ones. Anyone with an iota of business sense will tell you: only a fool would ignore 90% of the world's market to focus on the 4% Apple holds worldwide and 10% in the US.

Windows 8 will do just fine. It'll be a rough transition, BECAUSE it's a transition. This new UI represents the first major UI design paradigm shift in 30 YEARS. It won't be easy, but it will be successful.

You can take the following prediction to the bank:

In one year, Microsoft will sell more copies of Windows 8 than Apple has sold of Mac computers in its entire history.

Reactions: dazza9075

Rakeesh_j

Jan 13, 2010
since 95?? I think your wearing rose tinted glasses, 95 was a terrible piece of work, other than a design concept it was garbage and wasn't fixed until 98 SE

I'm only referring to the UI itself, not the quality of the underlying OS. Windows 98 included that active desktop nonsense that you had to disable, not to mention the annoying IE4 integration. It was a more stable OS than 95, but it had a ton of annoyances added with it.

Interesting comment on WMC, you got a link to that? I did hear that pro wasn't getting WMC but was available as an add on pack, it didn't say if it was charged for though and the piece I saw didn't say anything about it uninstalling WMC if you upgrade so a link would be handy to clear that one up

If you think about it, it's quite simple really. Microsoft is removing media center because they have to pay huge royalties to include the codecs and all of that per license, when hardly anybody uses it. They won't pass that savings on to you of course, but it will save them money all the same.

If you want WMC, you pay those royalties on your own.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/windows-8-media-center-functionality-likely-to-cost-more/19805

jasongw

That would be a terrible idea. You're essentially saying the same thing as people who argued that the Wii Remote should have been "optional" while the standard "classic" controller was the holdover. That's a mistake.

Human behavior follows the same rules as any other system in nature: it behaves in patterns and is reluctant to change those patterns unless acted upon. If the desktop were to be even an OPTION as a default in Windows 8, Metro would be dead in the water, for the same reason that the Wii Remote would not have succeeded as an optional add-on (see the PS3 Move Dildo vs Wii Remote for evidence--which one is optional, which one is default, and which one has sold almost 100 million devices while the other is a nearly dead add-on?). Metro absolutely MUST be the default standard if it's going to succeed. It'll get the UI in the hands of users who, yes, WILL use it, which in turn will mean that developers will support it. Any OS and UI without apps is basically pointless, so this is critically important.

For those hoping Metro will be optional: it won't. Give up that hope now, it's not gonna happen, nor should it happen. It's time to move on to the next thing. Let the past sit underneath and be useful where it can while we make the transition to the future. Otherwise, it really needs to get out of the way :)

Reactions: ShadowEO

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I'm only referring to the UI itself, not the quality of the underlying OS. Windows 98 included that active desktop nonsense that you had to disable, not to mention the annoying IE4 integration. It was a more stable OS than 95, but it had a ton of annoyances added with it.

If you think about it, it's quite simple really. Microsoft is removing media center because they have to pay huge royalties to include the codecs and all of that per license, when hardly anybody uses it. They won't pass that savings on to you of course, but it will save them money all the same.

If you want WMC, you pay those royalties on your own.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/windows-8-media-center-functionality-likely-to-cost-more/19805

98se didn't have all that crap turned on be default but I take your point about IE4

as for WMC, that doesn't say any more than what id already heard.

A large chunk of the codec support will have to be supported still in WMP so I doubt it be a huge amount saved, all the TV functions are mpeg, HD TV uses h264 and its all decoding rather than encoding. h264 is paid for up front by the distribution network, not the end user, So if your watch a free to view HD channel then it would be the channel owners that pay for the licence to use it although admittedly to watch a BD film would require you to have a paid for licence to decode it

I Think Dolby/DTS is probably the big exceptions

anyhow, it didn't say anything about removing WMC if I upgrade, it would also be a bit cheeky to remove it as by rights I do have a licence to use the codecs from windows 7 but until we get pricing structures its difficult to complain just yet.

Pappa5murf

May 1, 2012
Brisbane Au
Impressed

Only 4 months ago i bit the bullet on upgrading my Vista (don't ask, was shipped with it) OS to Win7 and to say the least a breath of fresh air albeit a rehash OS. Two weeks later Win8 Dev is downloaded and installed. Best thing i ever did..
The new OS is a little two faced but every keyboard i see has one or two windows keys, convenient for switching between Metro and desktop.

The Metro obviously is built for touch screen but is not a prob for a Lappy touch pad, the short cut corners are great for switching directly to an opened App.

Metro home page is just a full page view of the old start button/ All programs.
The icons are constantly updating and revealing feeds and data without having to click on them. (ie. Weather feed, emails etc..)
Window key short cuts still work.
BTW application start up and switching is BLAZINGLY fast
Start up is "blink and you'll miss it" 10-15s tops.. :eek

My 16yr yr12 son has it now for school and he loves it,, he was able to workout and customise it in a few hours of playing with it..

Over all i rate the OS as prob the best they have ever released other than Win 3.1 ofc..

Waiting until next year for the release is not going to be easy,,

however does anyone know if it is possible to flash an android tablet with the Win8 OS?

Rakeesh_j

Jan 13, 2010
A large chunk of the codec support will have to be supported still in WMP so I doubt it be a huge amount saved, all the TV functions are mpeg, HD TV uses h264 and its all decoding rather than encoding.

That depends on your region.

anyhow, it didn't say anything about removing WMC if I upgrade, it would also be a bit cheeky to remove it as by rights I do have a licence to use the codecs from windows 7 but until we get pricing structures its difficult to complain just yet.

Well here's microsoft's exact wording:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/.../04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

Windows Media Center will be available as an economical “media pack” add-on to Windows 8 Pro

Economical implies a low cost, but a cost nonetheless, as in not free. Not only that, but if you upgrade from windows 7 home to windows 8 (non-pro) you can't even get WMC, you have to upgrade to windows 8 pro, and THEN you can buy WMC.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
That depends on your region.

Well here's microsoft's exact wording:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/.../04/16/announcing-the-windows-8-editions.aspx

Economical implies a low cost, but a cost nonetheless, as in not free. Not only that, but if you upgrade from windows 7 home to windows 8 (non-pro) you can't even get WMC, you have to upgrade to windows 8 pro, and THEN you can buy WMC.

Economical does imply a cost, although you could argue (just!) that the most economical solution to something is it being free ;) but it still doesn't say it will remove WMC if you upgrade. it only says that Win 8 doesn't come with WMC but is available. its not talking about upgrades.

I think we could keep going around in circles on this one, in short, there would need to be a very good pricing structure for WMC add on and IF it did remove WMC from a Win 7 upgrade then there would need to be a seriously good pricing structure.

In short, we need to wait for a price list and or confirmation of whats going to happen, anything we say now is but a guess, other than Win 8 doesn't come with it.

Crosaider

Aug 3, 2011
I think it will fail because it is for touchscrrens and a lot of useres don't have a touchscreen in the laptop or netbook. And dedsktops PCs havent't got a touchscreen to...

xplus93

May 25, 2010
Honestly its marketing, of course windows 8 is going to suck balls. But so did ME, but we all ran to get xp to fix all the problems, same with vista, we all ran to get 7 to fix everything. Microsoft has been doing this for years now, even 95 was fixed by 98 SE. Just learn to save your money and buy every other release cycle.

Also, with the touch screen thing, win8 will push manufacturers to implement touchscreens, then win9 will actually use them.

SwimSwim

May 2, 2012
Washington DC
It's hard for me to say at this point. I personally love the whole Metro UI, and anyone who used a WinPhone 7.5 (As I had) before using Win8 will feel right at home. Slight learning curve, yes, but for the better. Besides, once (if) it takes off, it will make life easier, because Microsoft (Who could've guessed it) was the first company to create a unified GUI/UI accross the smartphone, tablet and desktop, ensuring consumers only had to learn one UI and could be done with it.

If MS manages to convince consumers and they pull this off correctly, it will be an astonishing success. Heck, The Woz recently said he thinks MS ressurected Steve Jobs soul and had it design Metro, no kidding! The only thing I think they REALLY need is like a quick 10-minute video/interactive tutorial to explain the elements of Metro, Charms, Start Screen, Apps, Desktop, ect. So people who aren't tech savy, or who are just finally relinquishing XP will have an idea of what's going on. Other than that, Apple and Google better start innovating, and fast, or MS will make a come back as the god of OS systems.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
Honestly its marketing, of course windows 8 is going to suck balls. But so did ME, but we all ran to get xp to fix all the problems, same with vista, we all ran to get 7 to fix everything. Microsoft has been doing this for years now, even 95 was fixed by 98 SE. Just learn to save your money and buy every other release cycle.

Also, with the touch screen thing, win8 will push manufacturers to implement touchscreens, then win9 will actually use them.

rose tinted glasses again
95 was innovative OSR2 was marginally better ( we are still using the same UI until Win8!!)
98, slightly better, but still bad, 98se almost there
ME kind of sucked, but after a SP or two, as an O,S it was actually ok, as long as you didn't try and do anything from previous versions, ie DOS based programs, or had hardware that never had proper driver support.
XP was a pile of turd until XP SP2, don't forget that
Vista was ok unless you had an < average spec computer, but by SP2 it was more or less on par with Windows 7
Windows 7 was more or less spot on out of the box

The only pattern there, is that each Major release has improved eventually on the previous version through SP updates, with the possible exception of 7, but then the code base of 7 is so similar to Vista that you could call 7 another SP update of vista. in the same way 98SE was a minor bump off 98

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, so let's go item by item, shall we? :)

1. "Not designed for desktops". Let's consider for a moment the numerous posts on the Windows 8 Team Blog describing how it's been CAREFULLY designed for desktops. It's clear on that point alone that this item just doesn't have any weight to it. But more importantly, having used it on a desktop and a Macbook Pro, neither of which have touch screens, it's actually really easy to use. So easy, in fact, that I have a great example for later :).

2. "Not Enterprise Friendly". Let's ask ourselves: what does it mean for something to be "Enterprise friendly" ? I've worked in IT for 16 years, from desktop support to Systems Engineer, so I'll tell you. Enterprise Friendly means that the OS supports centralized, granular management by IT staff, is easy to customize in terms of features and security via centralized mechanisms, and has extensive documentation and support from either specialized staff or from the vendor. Windows 8 has ALL of these. It's clearly a VERY Enterprise Friendly operating system. So friendly, in fact, that you can still connect it to an Active Directory server from Windows 2000--an OS that released approximately a dozen years ago. I agree that in the short term, not a lot of businesses will adopt Windows 8, but that's because of the hardware, not the UI. Most OS upgrades happen along with hardware upgrades. Over the next 2 years, corporate adoption will be slow, but small businesses will adopt it both for the "ooh, shiny" factor and for the fact that many can't afford not to. Over the following 3-5, corporate adoption will skyrocket. The home PC market will take care of most of the "average worker" learning curve. They'll master the software at home, end of story.

3. "A New UI." This is probably Windows 8's greatest weakness AND its greatest strength. The new UI will intimidate SOME people--but not most people. It's so simple, so elegant, so easy to use, that the vast majority of people will easily understand how to use it. It's the power users and the hangers-on to old tech who will struggle, and they'll have mostly made it difficult for themselves.

Let me give you an example of why it's a good thing, though. I have a friend who's a graphic designer, and has been for about 30 years. He's in his early 50's, and has used Macs for most of his career, but a Windows 7 PC since 2 years ago. A couple of weeks ago, his PC died, and I cobbled together a temporary replacement to hold him over until I can get his motherboard, which died, RMA'd. For the sake of curiosity, I asked if he'd want to try Windows 8 since this was a temporary PC anyway, and he said with a shrug, "why not?" So I configured the system (an old Pentium D 915, 2GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM hard drive, vs his Core 2 Quad, 8GB RAM, 64GB SSD with 1TB HDD) and installed his programs, gave him a very brief (literally, 10 minutes) tour of Windows 8, and sent him home.

The next day he called me. "Hey, about Windows 8." I got a little nervous as he said that. "Yes? Any problems?" I asked. "No," he replied, "It's ****ing brilliant. What the hell are the specs on this machine, because it's way faster than mine is!" I grinned. "Actually, that's a really old machine, not anywhere close to as fast as yours. How about the UI, any trouble there?" "Hell no," he said, "It's easy. Easiest UI I've ever used. Microsoft finally nailed it." That's from a guy who is 2 things: A graphic designer, and a MAC guy. Seriously.

4. "Desktop and Metro": See above. Microsoft made the right choice. There will be a learning curve, that's an unavoidable fact. But it's not a steep one, in part thanks to training people have already gone through on their *smartphones*, their *ipads*, *ipods*, and to a lesser extent, Android tablets. Touch has already become part of the dialog we have with our computers.

5. "Complex". Are we talking about the same OS? Windows 8 is butt-ass simple. I could choose many, many words to describe Windows 8--not ONE of them is "complex". Are things moved around? Sure. Do some things work differently than in the past? Absolutely. Will people who've been trained and practiced on older versions, and learned to use deep features in those versions, find some frustration? Without a doubt. The average user? They'll be just fine.

On the last point about power, I just called my friend mentioned above to ask, "Hey, have you had any trouble figuring out how to turn off the power on your PC?" His reply? "I don't even mess with it, man, I just walk away and it goes to sleep."

People will adapt just fine. They adapted to Windows 95. They adapted to iPods/iPads/iPhones/Android phones. They'll adopt to this, too. don't be such a worry-wart :)
    win generally, is the biggest and easiest target of a hacker (or even script kiddie)!

Actually that hasn't been true for a very long time.

All major platforms have many security holes. Windows has proven itself very secure by virtue of the fact that microsoft has been very responsive towards ongoing threats. The changes to windows vista brought about dramatic security enhancements of the underlying OS.

In fact most windows malware aren't vectored into the underlying OS itself, but rather vulnerable third party software such as java, flash, acrobat, etc. Whats interesting is that the design of the OS itself mitigates most of these vulnerabilities, so microsoft is even compensating for the mistakes of other companies.

Windows and Linux are roughly on par with one another in terms of security these days.

However windows has an advantage that other platforms do not: Antivirus software on the windows platform has a heuristics detection rate of 90% of undocumented threats. That is a rate most in the computer security field hadn't anticipated a few years ago. It is so high, that malware authors have begun to target something that is statistically "bigger and easier" to hit: Mac OSX.

Although OSX has a very tiny market share, the chances of a successful attack against mac users is high enough that it is a more attractive target than windows these days. Not only that, but apple is VERY SLOW when it comes to responding to malware threats. The last one took them two months to respond to. That is an eternity in the security field. In addition to that, most Mac OSX users tend to live under the belief that macs don't get hit by viruses (primarily because apple tells them this,) and likewise they don't protect themselves accordingly. Needless to say, this makes them very attractive targets for the criminal underground.

If you don't believe me though, then don't take my word for it. Just look at the results of the pwn2own contest year after year.
    Sorry but no. Apple can take their expensively useless products and bury them with their founder. ;)

Too soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Not true

Windows 8 got alot done under the hood, if you are the average person you would get used to press windows + I to reboot, shutdown or access settings. I would say Win 8 is even better than win 7, at least on my middle spec laptop
    IT's not PROGRESS... it's trying to FORCE someone to do something differently when he did it for 30 years and is happy and confortable with that. If isn't broken, you don't need to fix it. You can give them the OPTION to switch.. not FORCE them to switch.

Oh... that's nice. You might as well ride a horse instead of a car. Guess what, it worked for thousand years. At one point switching from horseback to steam powered carriage was only for the brave, but that was PROGRESS.

And who holds a gun to your head forcing you to use windows 8? Do the things you do the way you do them and leave the rest to people with imagination.

And guy, really, don't try to sell me the idea that a tablet with a 22'', a keyboard, a mouse, a DVD reader, a charger, all connected with cables (or everythink connected to his own charger and BT to the tablet), is a amazing thing to work with. It's plain stupid. Why would i switch a faster and cheaper PC to a Tablet, to use it as a PC? Is the same thing as using MiniMac's installing only WINDOWS in them.. it's stupid, it's a waste of money, it's slow, but hey... it's good looking...

Why 22" tablet? Why not go all the way to 60"? If you could actually read what I was saying, you will see that I never suggested to replace your 22" monitor with a tablet. I personally think that smaller touchscreen (doesn't even need to be a separate tablet) can be a great addition if there is a good integration with desktop OS. Android and IOS can't provide this at the moment. Windows 8 can and hopefully with time there will be more innovative ways of using it.

And guy, I'm not selling you anything! But if you want to know, you won't find much wires at my place.
    Keyboard is wireless and gets charged very rarely. Mouse is wireless and battery is replaced once a year or so. Printer is wireless. Sure it is connected to power source, but it is hidden. If I need to print something from my android tablet, I can. I also have bluetooth adapter for audio, so I can use the speakers from any device that I have without touching any cables.
    I have three monitors on my desk connected to a full tower rig. You won't find that tower though, because it is in another room, behind a wall. Why? Because I like quiet! Instead of spending hundreds on sophisticated quiet cooling, I just moved my PC from my workplace. All I have are some hidden USB extension cables that I occasionally use.
    My both big screen TVs are 0.3" away from the wall. Wires are hidden as well. Connecting additional HDMI source is possible, but inconvenient. I didn't try to make it convenient, because I don't need it.
    My point here is that with all the wireless technology that we have, you will be able to, in a blink of an eye, connect your tablet to a keyboard, mouse, printer and big screen without touching a single wire and turn your tablet into a desktop. If you need power, it is a lot more accessible, than other components. And again, if you don't need it, if you don't want it, then stay away from it. I personally don't plan to replace my desktop PC any time soon, but I sure would love to have a 7" touchscreen for metro, next to my keyboard.

I was hoping you would address the point I made about having to plug in a tablet while watching a HD movie. yes, it may play one movie , over dlna, but the battery will expire shortly after, if not during and be non mobile after words.

Not that long time ago we had laptops that can only go 2 hours while simply working in word document. Now we have smaller, lighter and faster devices that can go 18 hours without charge (how about asus transformer).

keyboards are still more efficient. stop, pause, play, minimize, refresh, change apications, all from a memorized pattern instead of :unlock, swipe, look, swipe, press control, etc swipe

We are still talking about controlling big screen tv with your tablet, right? How about this. You go to a hotel room, touch TV remote with your tablet to connect via NFC. You browse netflix movie selection on your tablet. No need to look on big screen and interface is actually faster to use with touch, rather than keyboard and mouse. Then start what you want and enjoy the show on big screen tv via WiDi. You can then pause, play, stop whatever you're watching with tv remote control. You might as well put tablet aside or charge it.