5,599,254 Members 37,419 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Desire S USB Brick

Tip us?

Jack_R1
Old
Thanks Meter 931
I guess you want to return your phone under warranty. You can try to flash the stock ROM through creating and flashing PB99IMG.ZIP (google it to see what it is and what it does - it's a file from SD card that is automatically flashed by HBOOT).

If you have no warranty - I'd suggest taking it to the nearest decent phone lab. If I'm not mistaken, the price for fixing will be low.

The pins might look fine, but one of the 5 might not be protruding enough to touch the plug pins.
Wiki on this forum exists for a reason. PLEASE READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.
Glacier (MyTouch 4G / Panache) Wiki
Nexus One Wiki
Nexus One FAQ.

[Lockscreen MOD] Trackball/trackpad wake-sleep toggle for Sense ROMs - [Nexus One], [MyTouch 4G]
[MOD]NoClock for Sense ROMs
[MOD] Change WiFi hostname

[MOD]Gallery3D with high-res patch, for stock and HTC cameras

ben_pyett
Old
(Last edited by ben_pyett; 11th April 2012 at 12:34 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1849
Just to check some obvious things

Have you tried more than one PC?
Have you tried more than one USB cable?
Did you ever instal HTC drivers? You should find HTC sync exe in root of sd card

And just to correct a possible typo in the post above

- rename it to "PG88IMG.zip" (case sensitive)
- put it on the root of your SD card
- reboot into hboot and wait.

wyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim
Nexus 5 : hammerhead
Rom (Kernel): Cataclysm 4.4.2 [Dec 12, 2013] (Franco [#r45.2 test]) root: [superSU v1.93]
Nexus 4 : mako
Rom (Kernel): AOKP_ROM 4.3.1 [#aokp_mako_jb-mr2_2013-11-14] (Franco [#r193-JWR])
Retired - HTC Desire S, HTC Touch Diamond 2, HTC Dual Touch, HTC TyTN, Innumerable NOKIAs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben_pyett For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ultimatepichu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_R1 View Post
I guess you want to return your phone under warranty. You can try to flash the stock ROM through creating and flashing PB99IMG.ZIP (google it to see what it is and what it does - it's a file from SD card that is automatically flashed by HBOOT).

If you have no warranty - I'd suggest taking it to the nearest decent phone lab. If I'm not mistaken, the price for fixing will be low.

The pins might look fine, but one of the 5 might not be protruding enough to touch the plug pins.
Sadly the warranty expired not long time ago. :S Okay, I'll tell him to take to the nearest phone lab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_pyett View Post
Just to check some obvious things

Have you tried more than one PC?
Have you tried more than one USB cable?
Did you ever instal HTC drivers? You should find HTC sync exe in root of sd card

And just to correct a possible typo in the post above

- rename it to "PG88IMG.zip" (case sensitive)
- put it on the root of your SD card
- reboot into hboot and wait.

wyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim
Tried on both his and my laptop. My DHD works fine with my comp and my cable so it's definitely not the cable problem. As for drivers, it should make sound when the phone is plugged in but it's not. And if my DHD works, I don't see any reason why the DS can't.

And thanks for more clarification about flashing the PG88IMG.zip in hboot
HTC M7 One Silver
Rom: ARHD 62.0

Asus Nexus 7 3G Tilapia
Rom: CM10.1 Official nightly

HTC Desire HD
Rom: cfx_ace-4.2.2-SR12
Radio: Radio_12.65.60.29U_26.14.04.28_M

scorp121z
Old
Thanks Meter 0
have had the same problem with my dhd. The problem seems to be intermittent on my phone, in that i got it working a few weeks ago by following the suggestions for the desire usb brick problem.(yes it did work for desire hd too)
By this i mean after numerous tries i got my laptop to be recognized at least in my computer(even though the sd card would not show)After
i used sdk tools and command promt and entered:-
fastboot oem eraseconfig
fastboot oem enableqxdm 0
fastboot oem boot
in that order.
After this my dhd mounted fine in 2 laptops at home and one pc
However about 2 days ago its has just stopped being rexcognized by my laptop or pc again,I have tried several times over the last few days but nothing works
I am convinced now it is an intermittent h/w propblem,
I am now using my phone explorer to access the sd card over wi fi so i don't have to remove it and insert it in laptop sd slot.

Jack_R1
Old
(Last edited by Jack_R1; 30th April 2012 at 10:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 931
If the phone is recognized by PC in fastboot mode, and phone screen shows "FASTBOOT USB" - it isn't a HW problem.

If the phone isn't recognized in fastboot mode - it is a HW problem.

This is a simple and 100% way to distinguish between so-called "USB bricks" and HW failure of USB slot / one of the USB lines.
Wiki on this forum exists for a reason. PLEASE READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.
Nexus One Wiki
Nexus One FAQ.

[Lockscreen MOD] Trackball/trackpad wake-sleep toggle for Sense ROMs - [Nexus One], [MyTouch 4G]

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack_R1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scorp121z
Old
Thanks Meter 0
My phone does show every time in fastboot usb , but if i send a command via adb get 'waiting for device'.
However as I said in my previous post it was connecting every time a few days ago on 2 laptops and 1 pc.
Nothing has changed on the phone or the laptops since but now it has stopped responding again. It will not connect on laptop with or without using adb
I am going to try some different roms over the next few days, currently using Leedroid 5.1.1, but i am siick of spending hours and hours on it.
I think I can live with using my phone explore over wi fi(although its slower) and if I do need to copy something faster on or off the sd card, I unmount it and us it on my laptop slot with and SD adaptor

Jack_R1
Old
Thanks Meter 931
Fastboot and ADB are TWO DIFFERENT ENTITIES.
You can't send ADB command when in fastboot.
You can't send fastboot command when in ADB.
To have ADB functional, you need the kernel to be loaded properly and at least start of Android boot.
To have fastboot functional, all you need to do is reboot to bootloader.
Nexus One Wiki
Nexus One FAQ.

scorp121z
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Jack_R1 thanks for the info.
I get waiting for device in fastboot usb mode and if I try adb commands with phone booted its no use because the pc or laptop does not even see the phone in device manager

Jack_R1
Old
Thanks Meter 931
If you get "waiting for device" - make sure all the drivers are installed in Windows. Look in Device Manager, see if you can find "Android bootloader" or "Android 1.0" device.

If there's none - you might have a HW problem on your hands.
Nexus One Wiki
Nexus One FAQ.

scorp121z
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm sure its a harware problem, but i have no problem charging , either from mains or usb from laptop or pc & sd card card works fine within phone.
Things I have tried on 2 laptops and 1 pc:-
uninstalled /reinstalled htc drivers and adb drivers
uninstalled htc sync totally and installed drivers only from Ace hack kit tools folder
tried different roms(gingerbread and ICS)
went back to stock rom 1.32
After trying all the above the phone is not recognized in laptop/pc device manager
I've decide the next phone I have will be one with 16gb or 32gb internal memory which is plenty, no need for sd card lol