Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,283 Members 38,487 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Official ASUS Thread - ICS Update on TF101 (20-Mar-2012)

Tip us?

jtrosky
Old
(Last edited by jtrosky; 29th April 2012 at 09:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 963
my original. I've now placed the loaner into the dock and will start using it (was just sitting there before)...

EDIT: Ok, now the loaner has done the EXACT same thing! Too weird! Left the TF docked and "open", put into standby and a few minutes later I watched it reboot itself.

It did NOT get stuck as the Asus screen (neither did my transformer).

It's wild how they rebooted so close together like that after being up for so long!

So, are there any beta testers left that still have NOT experienced any random reboot/SOD issues?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

knoxploration
Old
Thanks Meter 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
It's wild how they rebooted so close together like that after being up for so long!
My guess is something is gradually getting more and more corrupted, until it reaches the point where I reboot is inevitable.
Head of an Android household: HTC One X+ International 64GB, HTC One X International 32GB, Google Nexus 10, two hopelessly unstable Asus Eee Pad Transformers (32GB and 16GB, each with keyboard docks; remember -- friends don't let friends buy Asus), Samsung Galaxy Ace, and a Fuhu Nabi 2.

acc3d
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I did a factory reset before and after installing the 9.2.1.21 update. My TF101 seemed to be running well until this morning when I experienced the following:

- audio playback seems to have stopped working (a problem I experienced with previous ICS builds)
- auto screen rotation stopped working
- finally, my tablet randomly rebooted and got stuck at the Asus logo

Sigh, will they ever get ICS running well on the TF101? I guess I'll put the tablet back in the drawer until the next update; it continues to be useless.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
Current Device(s): Google Nexus 5 32GB (T-Mobile), Google Nexus 10 32GB
Retired devices: Google Nexus 4, Google Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, Asus Transformer 16GB, HTC Evo 3D (Sprint), Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint), Palm Pre (Sprint), Nokia XpressMusic 5800 (AT&T), Apple iPhone 2G (AT&T), Sony Ericsson w810i (AT&T), HTC Apache/PPC-6700 (Sprint)

vicw
Old
(Last edited by vicw; 30th April 2012 at 05:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
my original. I've now placed the loaner into the dock and will start using it (was just sitting there before)...

EDIT: Ok, now the loaner has done the EXACT same thing! Too weird! Left the TF docked and "open", put into standby and a few minutes later I watched it reboot itself.

So, are there any beta testers left that still have NOT experienced any random reboot/SOD issues?

My unit didn't get stuck, or ask for the PIN input either, on this reboot. I just discovered it in Reboot Logger, and confirmed it on the Up Time status.
Edit: I just realized that the reason it didn't ask for the PIN input is that the update cleared out that setting, and I hadn't reestablished it.

vicw
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by acc3d View Post
Sigh, will they ever get ICS running well on the TF101? I guess I'll put the tablet back in the drawer until the next update; it continues to be useless.

You might try the Wake Lock app to prevent the potentially catastrophic deep sleep reboots. I was happy using it for weeks, prior to this last update.

sbiriguda
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxploration View Post
My guess is something is gradually getting more and more corrupted
Agreed, more specifically: kernel memory corruption.
I can confirm that at least on one occasion some kernel data structures were badly corrupted (out of sheer luck, I managed to extract a full panic log from a ramdump) and one of the changes NVIDIA made in .21 hints that there is something stomping arbitrary kernel memory, but instead of finding the root cause they tried (unsuccessfully) to address one of the symptoms.

luquiyahni
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:

What apps have you used on both? (browser, gmail, etc)

My TF just went over 31hr of uptime, with 26 of deep sleep. Wifi is ON, but I haven't used any apps (besides Andoku 2). I never wiped it, just a cold boot, first 24hr with wifi OFF, and for the past 7 hrs, wifi ON.

My next step would be start using some apps. Haven't decide which one, yet. That's why I asked which ones you used so maybe I could avoid or use just one and only of those.

jtrosky
Old
Thanks Meter 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by luquiyahni View Post
What apps have you used on both? (browser, gmail, etc)

My TF just went over 31hr of uptime, with 26 of deep sleep. Wifi is ON, but I haven't used any apps (besides Andoku 2). I never wiped it, just a cold boot, first 24hr with wifi OFF, and for the past 7 hrs, wifi ON.

My next step would be start using some apps. Haven't decide which one, yet. That's why I asked which ones you used so maybe I could avoid or use just one and only of those.
The only apps that installed after a complete factory restore are these:

- CPU Spy
- Dual Battery Widget
- Uptime Widget
- Tapatalk

I think that was it. I also used the Gmail/Email apps, stock browser, YouTube app, etc.... Just the basics...

jtrosky
Old
(Last edited by jtrosky; 29th April 2012 at 11:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 963
Ok, now what's still driving me crazy is that even if you flash a Honeycomb ROM via CMW, the reboot/SOD issues persist, even in Honeycomb. However, if I NVFLash Honeycomb, the problems go away in Honeycomb.

That tells me that the problem lies in one of the partitions that CWM doesn't write (NVFlash just re-creates all partitions).

So, I then compared the flash.cfg file for Honeycomb and one for ICS. All partition definitions are exactly the same, except for these two:

Partition 3 (PT)
In Honeycomb flash.cfg file, the size is "4096"
In ICS flah.cfg file, the size is "524288"!

Partition 10 (CAC)
In Honeycomb flash.cfg file, the size is "554700800"
In ICS flash.cfg file, the size is "555220992"

Is it normal for the partition sized to change so much between ICS/Honeycomb? The actual NVFLash command that is run is exactly the same....

Again, longshot, but....

I guess since I'm NVFlash, it can't hurt to try changing the ICS flash.cfg to match the Honeycomb flash.cfg... Although, if those partitions were that far off, I'dd suspect we'd see other issues... However, that partition 10 is the cache partition, I'm assuming - maybe ICS thinks the cache partition is really bigger than it is, so that when you get to that spot in the cache, it reboots? Again, longshot, I know...

The Following User Says Thank You to jtrosky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

*Detection*
Old
Thanks Meter 559
Quote:
Ok, now what's still driving me crazy is that even if you flash a Honeycomb ROM via CMW, the reboot/SOD issues persist, even in Honeycomb. However, if I NVFLash Honeycomb, the problems go away in Honeycomb.

That tells me that the problem lies in one of the partitions that CWM doesn't write (NVFlash just re-creates all partitions).

So, I then compared the flash.cfg file for Honeycomb and one for ICS. All partition definitions are exactly the same, except for these two:

Partition 3 (PT)
In Honeycomb flash.cfg file, the size is "4096"
In ICS flah.cfg file, the size is "524288"!

Partition 10 (CAC)
In Honeycomb flash.cfg file, the size is "554700800"
In ICS flash.cfg file, the size is "555220992"

Is it normal for the partition sized to change so much between ICS/Honeycomb? The actual NVFLash command that is run is exactly the same....

Again, longshot, but....

I guess since I'm NVFlash, it can't hurt to try changing the ICS flash.cfg to match the Honeycomb flash.cfg... Although, if those partitions were that far off, I'dd suspect we'd see other issues... However, that partition 10 is the cache partition, I'm assuming - maybe ICS thinks the cache partition is really bigger than it is, so that when you get to that spot in the cache, it reboots? Again, longshot, I know...

Interested to hear your results, I'm nvflashable too and your theory makes sense if those sizes are wrong

Wouldn't be the first time they got numbers wrong, even in HC some left speakers had the wrong value in the srs file and the one before last ICS update had majorly low volume on media files

Tags
tf101, transformer