Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,687 Members 40,656 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgrade Conundrum? Dx2 to Razr Maxx

Tip us?

SuBDivisions
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Upgrade Conundrum? Dx2 to Razr Maxx

Hey guys, as always i first would like to offer my praise and sincere admiration to everyone who has and continues to work on the Dx2. You are ALL amazing and the work you do has had me enjoying this phone ever since i have gotten it..

That being said, my dx2 is a company phone.. they pay for it and all its accessories and monthly cost etc.. So my big boss wanted to upgrade from his blackberry so he got a Razr Maxx. He can't get use to it and (to LOL) its incompatible with the bluetooth in his Mercedes (don't u WISH u had that problem)..

So anyway, he is offering me to take the Maxx (for Free).. Now i have to say, I have CM7 on my X2, and honestly i LOVE it.. Its Fast, It works, it never crashes.. I ask it to do something, and it does it.

Now yes, the Maxx is 4G, with supposedly insane battery life. I have read i think there is ics for it now too.. I dunno..

Question is.. Do i take the upgrade and lose MY upgrade (January 2013), to which a quad core or the s3 will be out then, or do i take the Maxx now?

Ill admit I'm leaning on keeping my x2.. I really have no issues with it (and I'm on Long Island with is excellent 4G)..

king..kranium
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Well. I'd go razr cuz they just did a bootloader workaround. Forget quad core. They can hardly utilize the second core on our x2 and you want 2 more? But you could wait and boycott Motorola ...

Sent from my MB870 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

three west
Old
Thanks Meter 20

DONATE TO ME
I'd probably jump on the razr, its a known winner.
Its the success story that we had hoped the X2 and/or Bionic would have been

if you wait and bet on a new model before its proven you have the potential to pick a phone with less dev support.

thelowend
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 416
Razr Maxx. That phone is looking better and better to me every day. Why? My dad has it and his 4g, kexec'ed phone whoops the **** out of my X2

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

CadenH
Old
Thanks Meter 82
January is a long way away or I would say to wait it out. Why would your upgrade change if the phone is already purchased? Anyway, the maxx has great battery life, 4g, kexec, and an ics leak, that sounds like a nice combo to me. On the negative side its moto and by 2013 the phones will dwarf the razr. You have a tough decision on your hands. I just hope you get away from this phone eventually. Im starting to hate it more and more. (Not trying to be negative just speaking my mind)

Sent from my MB870 using xda premium
~Droid X2 CM9~
~Asus TF201 Blackbean~

thelowend
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 416
I'm also curious as to why your upgrade would be lost if you're getting the phone from a non-Verizon source.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

LaserChicken
Old
Thanks Meter 93
If he gives you a phone, why would you lose your upgrade date? I've changed my activated phone (broke my DX, bought a DX2 off Craigslist) and my upgrade date stayed the same.

LordRalh3
Old
Thanks Meter 79
You should be able to activate his phone on your number and save the upgrade for something badass quadcore style

from my X2 roaming the north

litetaker
Old
(Last edited by litetaker; 29th April 2012 at 03:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRalh3 View Post
You should be able to activate his phone on your number and save the upgrade for something badass quadcore style

from my X2 roaming the north
What a NICE boss! Btw, why did he pick u over and above so many employees? Are u the ONLY employee under him? Btw,you could wait for the S3 or some other phone. But since it is a company phone will ur company allow u to buy any phone or they decide what phone u'll get?

Yes the S3 is probably a quad core phone (rumor has it that in US it will be dual core just like the HTC One XL thingy) or you can get the next nexus, but Jan is a long way. There are ALWAYS better phones round the corner. You have to just pick your poison and stick with it... And the Maxx is one of the best. Of course, I will NOT go for it purely on principle, NO MOTOROLA for me anymore! But you should decide if the Maxx will do ALL you want from a phone for the next 2 years or so. I believe it will...
=== <<< @ >>> ===

Droid X2: Ditched!, Droid Inc2: SOLD, Droid Incredible 4G LTE: CM11.2 KitKat 4.4.2, TFP: Unlocked and on Stock JB 4.1.1 -> heaven, NOT SOLD!, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Stock 4.4.2, iPod Touch 4g: Stock iOS 6 (iOS 6 bad, my $0.02)

robocuff
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Well, I'm one that went from the DX2 to the Razr Maxx. I'm also one that said no more Moto phones for me again. I guess I lied. When I first upgraded, I tried the other side and found out that the old saying "the grass is greener on the other side" doesn't hold true with these phones. The phone I bought (HTC Rezound) missed probably 4 out of 5 calls I received. It just didn't ring. Needless to say I can't have that. It is after all, first and foremost a phone. If it doesn't ring when you get a call, all the unlocked bootloaders in the world aren't worth having. Moto hardware is tough to beat.

So, with that said, yeah, I like the phone. There's lots of roms available for it. Yes, ICS roms are there too. They do have their quirks though. Much like CM7 for the DX2. I'm running Eclipse on it right now but from what I remember, the problems with it that were most noticeable were things like the camcorder not working (no Moto drivers available) and a Bluetooth issue. Bluetooth works fine but if you turn off the Bluetooth device you're using off and forget to turn Bluetooth off on the phone, and then make a call or somebody calls you, you won't hear them and they can't hear you. Seems to me that mine wouldn't even ring but it's been a while so I don't remember for sure. The easy fix is to turn off Bluetooth when you aren't using it. Also, and this was kind of the one issue that made me leave it, data can be iffy at times. I tried several of them (Gummy and Black Widow being the best for me) and had problems with data being dropped. Only time I had troubles with it was when I was in a weak area but a lot of my work is in areas like that and it would get quite frustrating. However, it seems to be a hit and miss thing. Some people have absolutely no problems with data on those two roms, others have the problems I have. I suspect it depends on the signal but others say they don't have problems even with a weak signal so; who knows?

I have no doubt though that when the ICS upgrade comes, those issues will be fixed with the new kernal that comes with it. The phone is free. You'd be a fool not to jump on it. It shouldn't change your upgrade path since you didn't buy it so you really have nothing to lose. If you don't like it, activate your X2 again, unless of course, you have to give that up to get this one. If that's the case, well, I'd still go for the Maxx.

One more thought. For the Razr and Razr Maxx, if it's a CDMA phone, XDA isn't the best place to find roms, mods or what have you, for it. Most of the stuff here is for the GSM version of the phone. There's a website out there that's pretty much totally devoted to the Razr. They have far more stuff there for the CDMA phone than you can get here. Don't know what the policies are here for posting links to other forums so I guess I'll leave it out. If you get it and want a link, PM me.