[UPDATE FROM HTC - where are we now?] Screen Flicker - A pledge...

OP farnsbarns

29th April 2012, 10:25 PM   |  #441  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,279

8,817 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteGR

Barry is it ur gut feeling that this is software or hardware fault?
And if it is software then why aren't all phones affected?

Some background. I've done large-scale s/w product management since Windows 2.1. Without h/w to run it, s/w wouldn't exist. So the relationship is inextricible.

The way I'd answer your question post-Asus Prime is different than I would have earlier. The "why aren't all phones affected" is a mystery. All the HT23 One X's were built on the same assembly line, using the same parts, within weeks of each other and are running the same s/w. There's no logical reason why they should perform differently.

There's something funky related to Teg3 that I'm guessing is inconsistency between the chips. Software is developed to expect a range of responses and if the h/w is reacting out of that range it'll cause the s/w to flake out. When the Prime started having similar Teg3 related issues I was firmly convinced s/w wouldn't be able to overcome them. But, updates (it took four) eventually did. If my theory is correct and it was different responses being sent by different Teg3 chips the fix(es) were modifying the s/w to anticipate them. When all's said and done the Prime owners that were unhappy are now happy. Neither Asus nor Nvidia confirmed the cause of the issues and once they went away everyone stopped caring.

So short answer; I think there's a h/w component but the One X's issues can be resolved to users satisfaction via s/w alone. It would be nice if HTC gave more color on the root cause of the issues but they'll probably go the way of Asus. While we bought HTC phones and they're 100% responsible for our satisfaction these issues are almost guaranteed to be with Nvidia h/w, s/w, or a combination of both. After following the Prime so closely I bought the One X Teg3 version anyway. My hope was that lessons learned would make the launch smoother. So much for that.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2012, 01:34 AM   |  #442  
Thanks Meter: 28

56 posts
so ive been thinking of buying this phone for the last month, and 2 days before my upgrade is due, i come accross this thread.

Should i hold off on getting this phone? It seems to me that this has only affected a small number of handsets (going by this thread)

If i do hold off i know ill want the galaxy s3 when it launches next week, but by the time that goes down in price enough for me to be able to afford one, the rumoured htc one x with S4 processor may well be released (UK). Otherwise known as the htc xl in the US.

From what ive read the issue appears to lie with the Teg3 processor not communicating well with HTC's s/w. If this is the case then a snapdragon version of the phone should have no issues at all (or at the least not the same ones)
Last edited by lostunsunghero; 30th April 2012 at 01:43 AM.
30th April 2012, 02:32 AM   |  #443  
Flag Spokane, Washington

8,817 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostunsunghero

so ive been thinking of buying this phone for the last month, and 2 days before my upgrade is due, i come accross this thread.

Should i hold off on getting this phone? It seems to me that this has only affected a small number of handsets (going by this thread)

If i do hold off i know ill want the galaxy s3 when it launches next week, but by the time that goes down in price enough for me to be able to afford one, the rumoured htc one x with S4 processor may well be released (UK). Otherwise known as the htc xl in the US.

From what ive read the issue appears to lie with the Teg3 processor not communicating well with HTC's s/w. If this is the case then a snapdragon version of the phone should have no issues at all (or at the least not the same ones)

When the poll threads were going hot and heavy the ratio was about 25%/75% with 75% being issue free. The issue free number's probably even higher since people that are happy spend less time in forums and participating in polls. A 5% or less defect rate is acceptable in electronics. That said, you need to make the call. Holding off a couple of weeks until the issue is resolved seems like a better approach then getting on the exchange treadmill like others have.

As for the SGS3 I read somewhere that while the annoucement's in a couple of days the actual release is sometime in June. It's supposed to launch in the UK first in support of Samsung's Olympics sponsorship. I'm sure there will be a frenzy of people all trying to get it first and carriers might have limited allotments. So it being available and getting your hands on an early one might be two different things.

A couple of people besides me have speculated out-of-spec chips and driver issues but our specultation isn't any more or less valid than yours. Only what comes directly from HTC and/or Nvidia should be considered gospel. The XL (S4) has been out in Canada for over a week. Granted it's been sold in smaller quantities than the X, but you'd think if the issues were common it would have popped up at least once by now. It does have two vendors for the display like the X because the XL runs warm and cool also.

I traveled with the One X for the first time this weekend. It's radio was tested in Portland, LAX, Miami, and Ft. Lauderdale. I've used Wi-fi in multiple airports, hotels and restaurants. I used CoPilot for navigation multiple times. I really like this phone. The battery's been better than I thought but I've topped up a couple of times during the day for insurance even though I most likely wouldn't have needed it. There is nothing it doesn't do significantly better than my i9100 (though I haven't really played with the camera heavilly). I'd be hard pressed to see how the SGS3 is going to surpass the phone in a significant way as the early h/w specs we've seen make them a fairly close match (though the SGS3's likely to bench faster). Sense makes what I do easier where TW3 was less valuable. So in a comparison it comes down to battery life, what TW4 does better than TW3, and what the SGS3's made of and looks like. I might still get one but after this weekend I'm in no rush.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th April 2012, 02:51 AM   |  #444  
Thanks Meter: 28

56 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG

When the poll threads were going hot and heavy the ratio was about 25%/75% with 75% being issue free. The issue free number's probably even higher since people that are happy spend less time in forums and participating in polls. A 5% or less defect rate is acceptable in electronics. That said, you need to make the call. Holding off a couple of weeks until the issue is resolved seems like a better approach then getting on the exchange treadmill like others have.

As for the SGS3 I read somewhere that while the annoucement's in a couple of days the actual release is sometime in June. It's supposed to launch in the UK first in support of Samsung's Olympics sponsorship. I'm sure there will be a frenzy of people all trying to get it first and carriers might have limited allotments. So it being available and getting your hands on an early one might be two different things.

A couple of people besides me have speculated out-of-spec chips and driver issues but our specultation isn't any more or less valid than yours. Only what comes directly from HTC and/or Nvidia should be considered gospel. The XL (S4) has been out in Canada for over a week. Granted it's been sold in smaller quantities than the X, but you'd think if the issues were common it would have popped up at least once by now. It does have two vendors for the display like the X because the XL runs warm and cool also.

I traveled with the One X for the first time this weekend. It's radio was tested in Portland, LAX, Miami, and Ft. Lauderdale. I've used Wi-fi in multiple airports, hotels and restaurants. I used CoPilot for navigation multiple times. I really like this phone. The battery's been better than I thought but I've topped up a couple of times during the day for insurance even though I most likely wouldn't have needed it. There is nothing it doesn't do significantly better than my i9100 (though I haven't really played with the camera heavilly). I'd be hard pressed to see how the SGS3 is going to surpass the phone in a significant way as the early h/w specs we've seen make them a fairly close match (though the SGS3's likely to bench faster). Sense makes what I do easier where TW3 was less valuable. So in a comparison it comes down to battery life, what TW4 does better than TW3, and what the SGS3's made of and looks like. I might still get one but after this weekend I'm in no rush.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it is.

Insightful reply thanks.

I wish i was in a position to go and buy a phone as soon as its released but unfortunatley thats the not case. When im due an upgrade i like to get the best handset availible at the time considering im probably going to be stuck with it for 2 years.

I've used HTC handsets for several years now (legend, desire, and a short stint with the one S) and im really impressed with what ive seen/used. Which is why im so hesitant to jump in and buy a potentially faulty handset.

I really like the sense interface and i have had experiences with the touch wiz interface (my current interim phone) on the galaxy ace i can say i hate it with a passion. To go from sense to tw is like going from silicon to stone in my opinion.

Do you have any information on the UK XL release? i know it was only rumoured a few days ago but i may have missed something (although a quick online search did not yield any results). Im probably guessing it wont be until the end of Q3 or early Q4 to coincide with the 4G spectrum auction at the end of the year and also to pick up HTC sales for the second half of the year. If this is the case than i will probably go with the One X, because i can get it much earlier.

I really cant express how much ive been looking forward to this phone since it was announced at WMC, and got even more excited when i saw the launch date was before my contract upgrade was due.

Like i said earlier my upgrade isnt due for a few days and who knows maybe HTC will have sorted out the issue by then (one hopes).
Last edited by lostunsunghero; 30th April 2012 at 02:57 AM.
30th April 2012, 03:47 AM   |  #445  
USA
Thanks Meter: 8

76 posts
Quote:

Thanks for this Barry. Any chance you could compare your current experience with the One X to the iPhone 4 or 4S with respect to battery life? Perhaps you've use the One X/iPhone similarly with respect to usage and know how they compare? I ask because I'm currently using an iPhone 4 with AT&T. I'm happy with the battery life but am very interested in the One X. I don't want to upgrade though unless I'm confident it will get similar to equal battery life compared to my iPhone 4 during roughly the same usage.
30th April 2012, 04:16 AM   |  #446  
Flag Spokane, Washington

8,817 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairh

Thanks for this Barry. Any chance you could compare your current experience with the One X to the iPhone 4 or 4S with respect to battery life? Perhaps you've use the One X/iPhone similarly with respect to usage and know how they compare? I ask because I'm currently using an iPhone 4 with AT&T. I'm happy with the battery life but am very interested in the One X. I don't want to upgrade though unless I'm confident it will get similar to equal battery life compared to my iPhone 4 during roughly the same usage.

First, when you say upgrade, do you mean getting a One X from AT&T directly? If so, the phone they're releasing is actually the One XL which has a different processor than the international One X. The identical phone has been released on Rogers in Canada and some of the early battery life reports have been impressive; even using LTE. There's a battery life thread going in their forum so you can get more info there. It's early but the XL seems to be better on battery than the X. Keep in mind that a 4.7" HD display uses a ton of battery. An iPhone with the same display would get significantly poorer results unless Apple really increased the size of the battery (a'la iPad3). So I'm guessing either X is going to be at a deficit to an iP4 because of the added HP and display size. Someone coming directly from an iP4 could probaly provide specifics. I'm up to about 14 hours on a charge using a lot of push and sync with about 3-3 1/2 hours of display on time. I think that's acceptable.
30th April 2012, 05:49 AM   |  #447  
Thanks Meter: 11

137 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteGR

Barry is it ur gut feeling that this is software or hardware fault?
And if it is software then why aren't all phones affected?

I think Barry is spot on. I do not believe it to be a hardware fault, as the one XL uses same innards other than SoC. HTC would be nuts to use lots of different components

Software would make sense, corruption sounds like a driver issue and flickering sounds like the backlight caused by power issues caused by SoC

I would be interested to know if anyone that has under-clocked their device are getting the screen flicker / backlight issue
30th April 2012, 06:03 AM   |  #448  
Thanks Meter: 107

725 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbr12742

I think Barry is spot on. I do not believe it to be a hardware fault, as the one XL uses same innards other than SoC. HTC would be nuts to use lots of different components

Software would make sense, corruption sounds like a driver issue and flickering sounds like the backlight caused by power issues caused by SoC

I would be interested to know if anyone that has under-clocked their device are getting the screen flicker / backlight issue

Well...erm...what about...the SoC? I mean - how can you say they use the same innards "except the SoC" - that's probably the most important part of the phone. If you said "they use the same innards except for the NFC chip" I would have agreed, but different SoCs could mean huge differences.
30th April 2012, 06:10 AM   |  #449  
USA
Thanks Meter: 8

76 posts
Quote:

First, when you say upgrade, do you mean getting a One X from AT&T directly? If so, the phone they're releasing is actually the One XL which has a different processor than the international One X. The identical phone has been released on Rogers in Canada and some of the early battery life reports have been impressive; even using LTE. There's a battery life thread going in their forum so you can get more info there. It's early but the XL seems to be better on battery than the X. Keep in mind that a 4.7" HD display uses a ton of battery. An iPhone with the same display would get significantly poorer results unless Apple really increased the size of the battery (a'la iPad3). So I'm guessing either X is going to be at a deficit to an iP4 because of the added HP and display size. Someone coming directly from an iP4 could probaly provide specifics. I'm up to about 14 hours on a charge using a lot of push and sync with about 3-3 1/2 hours of display on time. I think that's acceptable.

Thanks for your response. I'm aware of the differences between the X and XL. I would be getting the XL. (I'm with AT&T and I live in a town with LTE.)

I think you are correct in stating that your experience with the battery life so far on the XL is satisfactory. I'll try to do my best in deciphering a definitive answer once the professional XL reviews start popping up this upcoming week.

If I can get somewhat equal battery life from the XL compared to my iPhone 4 then I might actually make the jump to Android. If the next iPhone blows me away then I'll just eat the early upgrade fee. (Unless I fall totally in love with the XL.)
30th April 2012, 06:36 AM   |  #450  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 65

852 posts
More
The store where i bought my One X called and they said that they will replace my unit because of the complain i made about the flickering screen. And they gave me 3 months to claim my new unit. I am thinking to claim my unit after a month or so, so that the unit that i'm going to have is a newer batch. What do you think? lol..

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
flicker, hardware, htc one x, pledge, screen
Previous Thread Next Thread