Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,823 Members 52,104 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[OFF-TOPIC] Important Please Read OP (7/1/13)

Tip us?

SimonTS
Old
Thanks Meter 1551
@Ben,

Yeah, I really, really like the One X, but I am rather concerned by the number of problems being reported on the forum. I think I will just have to wait a while to see if HTC rectify them before taking the plunge (and just hope the Samsung Galaxy S-III is really rubbish when it's released).

I am amazed by how the screen feels though. When I got the DS a year ago the screen seemed huge as it was the first smart-phone I'd had. Now it actually feels quite small.

Tapur007
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Guys,

Has anyone switched over to WP ?

My colleague just got a Lumia 800 & i liked the interface , its swift & simplistic ! Plus, the polycarbonate body is good too

ben_pyett
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1884
after spending nearly five years on WM always waiting for the next promise to be broken and deadline to slip.....there's no way I'm going back now, just because of a few coloured squares

Swyped form ym Dersie S unsig XAD Permuim
Nexus 5 : hammerhead
Rom (Kernel): Mahdi-Rom 4.4.4 [v2.7 08/07/2014] (Franco [#r57]) root: [superSU v2.0]
Nexus 4 : mako
Rom (Kernel): AOKP_ROM 4.3.1 [#aokp_mako_jb-mr2_2013-11-14] (Franco [#r193-JWR])
Retired - HTC Desire S, HTC Touch Diamond 2, HTC Dual Touch, HTC TyTN, Innumerable NOKIAs
The Following User Says Thank You to ben_pyett For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shrome99
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1530
LOL. My dad had a Samsung Omnia before his S2, and it really sucked. He didn't want a fancy phone, but after i pursuaded him to get an S2, he never looked back

Sent from a device waiting for Kernel 3, WAKE UP HTC

enigmaamit
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1427
Something to read : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=19

Sometimes I wonder - do they actually want to sell their phones or not??

Was a very loyal HTC customer, have persuaded at least 25 differnt people to buy HTC handsets. No more - just because you make good devices doesn't mean you muck around with crappy policies, and still get away with it. For once, I've decided to dump HTC and go for the SGS3, whatever it turns out to be. Been debating this with myself over the last couple of days. One year since I had this device - was time to upgrade anyway... I can live with vanilla ICS - something that was an issue on GB with me. HTC Sense is the one thing they had going for them and they let it get to their heads, but thanks to the UI designers at Google, that is slowly being taken out of the equation. The only way HTC is going to notice is when their sales guys get a hard one on their rears - and the only way to do that is to stop buying from them till they man up and accept their mistakes, do away with the security policy crap and come clean with the promises they make. HTC is learning from the wrong corporations - Misrosoft ring a bell?

Sorry for the rant - just wanted to get it off my chest after reading all that toastcfh wrote. Hope they pull their heads out of their assess and listen to the screams. Doesn't take too much to take out a company if the customers go rogue. HTC still haven't learnt anything from their losses in the last financial year, or from Samsung's runaway success...

Peace.
Quote:
DEVICE 1 : SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3 running Dr.Ketan's ROM K9 [4.4.2]

DEVICE 2 : SAMSUNG GALAXY SIII running AOKP ROM [4.4.3]

DEVICE 3 : HTC DESIRE S : S-Off, currently on Fallout ROM by Lowveld [4.03]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enigmaamit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shrome99
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1530
Well, a week ago I would have advised you against getting an SGS3, but now, i think my opinion has changed. HTC, for some reason, provides absolutely no support to the dev community. Samsung on the other hand go crazy. Unlocked (not unlockable, UNLOCKED) bootloaders, providing devices to the CM team, hiring Cyanogen himself, quick updates and the best thing - releasing kernel sources before the device is officially launched (read that once, can't find a link though).

The other thing is that - under immense pressure of having the 2011 device of the year, competition from the One X and the will to screw the living hell outta the iPhone, Samsung HAS to deliver. The Galaxy S3 will probably be the face of android for the next six months. It'll be the device that everyone will think of when they hear "Android". Tech sites will go crazy reviewing it. Apple fanboys will pee their pants when they see a friend with an S3. If samsung fails to deliver, then HTC One X will keep it's throne, and Samsung will incur heavy losses and mockery from everyone. I don't think samsung will let that happen. After all, they seem to have become the no. 1 mobile manufacturer
The Following User Says Thank You to shrome99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SimonTS
Old
Thanks Meter 1551
Thanks for posting that and the link to the original thread. That has probably just made up my mind for me - my next device will probably have to be the SGS-III. I really wanted the One-X, but the issues they are having with it, and now this as well fairly much rules that out.

It'll be a shame when it happens as the devs here, and most of you guys, have been great over the past year or so.

olyloh6696
Old
(Last edited by olyloh6696; 30th April 2012 at 06:29 PM.)
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1547
I can only second this. I won't be getting the SGS3, as the price will be too dear, but I'm looking towards the Galaxy Nexus. Even though it is old, it will still be the first device with the Jellybean update. The price would be good too, come August. I'm fed up of waiting for HTC to update. They certainly aren't as dev friendly as Samsung are.

I loved Sense, one of the reasons I bought this phone. But now I think AOSP has reached a stage where it is almost as good as Sense in terms of functionality. And there will be updates first. There will still be things from Sense that are unbeatable (particularly the fast boot feature and camera app,) but I guess I'll get used without them on a brand new device. I'm still yet to try out the One series in person, so I cannot comment on the One S (which is the alternate choice to the Galaxy Nexus) But from what I hear, the screen isn't so good. In fact, it'll be technically worse than the Sensation, as it's pentile or RBG (not sure which is which) which means less subpixels, therefore less pixel density.
Google Nexus 4 Stock Kit Kat 4.4.4
Advent Tegra Note 7 Stock Kit Kat 4.4.2
Ployer Momo20 Quad Stock Jelly Bean 4.2.2
If This Post Has Helped, Press
Thanks!

shrome99
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1530
Well, i'm probably stuck with the desire s for the next two years, if i get a new device, i'll probably mess up the tons of exams i have. But at $399, the Galaxy Nexus is a hell of a device. Thats even cheaper than what i paid or my Desire S . Shame that offer is for USA only........

Sent from a device waiting for Kernel 3, WAKE UP HTC

enigmaamit
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.TS.HTC View Post
Thanks for posting that and the link to the original thread. That has probably just made up my mind for me - my next device will probably have to be the SGS-III. I really wanted the One-X, but the issues they are having with it, and now this as well fairly much rules that out.

It'll be a shame when it happens as the devs here, and most of you guys, have been great over the past year or so.
Been trolling HTC on twitter just for the heck of it...

And as far as missing the community goes, you never know which familiar faces you might bump into over at the SGS3 forums... *winks*
Quote:
DEVICE 1 : SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 3 running Dr.Ketan's ROM K9 [4.4.2]

DEVICE 2 : SAMSUNG GALAXY SIII running AOKP ROM [4.4.3]

DEVICE 3 : HTC DESIRE S : S-Off, currently on Fallout ROM by Lowveld [4.03]

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe