5,606,722 Members 37,394 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DEV][THE S-OFF CAMPAIGN] We need electrical engineers & experts in JTAG, OpenOCD!

Tip us?

sythe179
Old
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by alquez View Post
To be completely honest - it's a really hard task
please dear sir, could you look into it a bit more?.
would make a fair number of us a great deal brighter knowing a kernel dev is helping.
The Following User Says Thank You to sythe179 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

no.human.being
Old
Thanks Meter 1074
I've just taken a look at the sources of the mtd driver in the kernel, but haven't actually found a lot that would be of interest to us. The actual communication with the NAND seems not to take place here. It's probably handled by an even lower level, perhaps some I/O layer that sits beneath, don't know. The kernel is simply too huge, this will turn into a search for a needle in the haystack.

einstein.frat
Old
(Last edited by einstein.frat; 29th April 2012 at 03:31 PM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1916
Your success on this s-off will be an hboot editor, but will have a broken phone, like a 10-15 sec. delay before phone powers up I mean lcd turns on, but at least your s-offed. xtc clip ftw btw .nuff said.

*se-nsei.
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 498
If alquez says it's a hard task. It must be too difficult for many of us to comprehend.
SAMSUNG GALAXY NEXUS 16GB | 4.4.2 CM 11 NIGHTLIES
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *se-nsei. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wolf Pup
Old
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
Well, I got Linus Torvald's number, if that helps. LOL.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using XDA
Devices:

SGS3 Intl (Current Device)
HTC WFS (Stolen)
HTC TyTn (WM6)

Fun Stuff:

I have a TARDIS. All my messages are sent from my TARDIS. I also have a Sonic Screwdriver.
I'm a Doctor Who addict.
I like Minecraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantroutman View Post
You people make me sick......

If you wish, please drop me an internet. Thanks.

Wolf Pup
Old
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.human.being View Post
I've just taken a look at the sources of the mtd driver in the kernel, but haven't actually found a lot that would be of interest to us. The actual communication with the NAND seems not to take place here. It's probably handled by an even lower level, perhaps some I/O layer that sits beneath, don't know. The kernel is simply too huge, this will turn into a search for a needle in the haystack.
Well, if there is no other way, and we have to pin it down, then we either have to look through the kernel or the radio. If we do the radio, and find secu_flag then we have a "pure" S-OFF, if we do the kernel, I suspect it will take longer and we will have a "patchwork" S-OFF. At least we will have S-OFF. But we also need to think timewise. Don't want to finish this when this phone is not sold anymore and when we are the only people left. By the way, Samsung Android phones have a "Download Mode". I've used it many times. Also, once you are in download mode, you use a GUI program called ODIN, like a RUU, it assists you in "downloading" the file to the phone and flashing it.

Devices:

HTC WFS (Stolen)
HTC TyTn (WM6)

Fun Stuff:

I have a TARDIS. All my messages are sent from my TARDIS. I also have a Sonic Screwdriver.
I'm a Doctor Who addict.
I like Minecraft
Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf Pup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

heavy_metal_man
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 643

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Wolf View Post
Well, if there is no other way, and we have to pin it down, then we either have to look through the kernel or the radio. If we do the radio, and find secu_flag then we have a "pure" S-OFF, if we do the kernel, I suspect it will take longer and we will have a "patchwork" S-OFF. At least we will have S-OFF. But we also need to think timewise. Don't want to finish this when this phone is not sold anymore and when we are the only people left. By the way, Samsung Android phones have a "Download Mode". I've used it many times. Also, once you are in download mode, you use a GUI program called ODIN, like a RUU, it assists you in "downloading" the file to the phone and flashing it.

In order to do either we need to be able to write to the nand so both will need us to **** with the kernal in the hope it works. Nbh what would we be looking for in general? We might have some luck if get a small army of us to go hunting through it.

sent from my android powered beast!

Devices
-> HTC wildfire (buzz)- currently testing all sorts.

-> HTC wildfire BEE
s-on HTC-dev unlocked
rom: my cooked rom
-> HTC sensation XE
Died a horrible overheating death
-> Nexus 7 32gb wifi
Bootloader unlocked
Rom: ParanoidAndroid 3.1
-> Htc desire s
xtc clip s-off/simunlocked/supercid
revolutionary hboot 7.00.1002
testing roms....
The Following User Says Thank You to heavy_metal_man For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alc027
Old
(Last edited by alc027; 30th April 2012 at 01:18 AM.)
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.human.being View Post
Well sooner or later it will be available for almost anything. They said they will support "all devices with a newer chipset than Google Nexus One". That would even include the WFS. I think the Nexus One is still on a QSDxxxx chip. The MSM7227 of the WFS is a real powerhorse against what the Nexus One is using lol!
The Nexus One's QSD8250 is much more powerful than MSM7227. Both have Adreno 200 graphics and are Snapdragon S1s but QSD has a Scorpion (Cortex A8) core with 1GHz native clock, vs MSM7227s ARM11 w 600MHz native clock. I wouldn't hold my breath for official CM9 on WFS sadly.

https://developer.qualcomm.com/sites...agon-specs.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to alc027 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wolf Pup
Old
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_metal_man View Post
In order to do either we need to be able to write to the nand so both will need us to **** with the kernal in the hope it works. Nbh what would we be looking for in general? We might have some luck if get a small army of us to go hunting through it.

sent from my android powered beast!
Well there could be a small army, made from only the best, and we could all have private training and mission briefing. I'll manage the weapons (2 AK-47S and 2 PP90M1, Air Support, Care Packages, UAV, and the other stuff)

Devices:

HTC WFS (Stolen)
HTC TyTn (WM6)

Fun Stuff:

I'm a Doctor Who addict.
I like Minecraft
Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf Pup For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

no.human.being
Old
(Last edited by no.human.being; 30th April 2012 at 09:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by alc027 View Post
The Nexus One's QSD8250 is much more powerful than MSM7227. Both have Adreno 200 graphics and are Snapdragon S1s but QSD has a Scorpion (Cortex A8) core with 1GHz native clock, vs MSM7227s ARM11 w 600MHz native clock. I wouldn't hold my breath for official CM9 on WFS sadly.

https://developer.qualcomm.com/sites...agon-specs.pdf
Well, in fact the QSD8250 is built around a newer IP-core. However, "much more powerful" is quite a bit of an exaggeration. QSD8250 was released Q4 2008, is ARMv7 on 65 nm manufacturing process and "Adreno 200" GPU.

The MSM7227 has an older IP-core, namely the ARM1136EJS, which is an ARMv6, so the QSD8250 might have a bit more compute. Indeed, I didn't find lots of details about this SoC. Actually I didn't even find an official release date. However, you can find specification of close relatives, like the MSM7227A and MSM7230, which were released 36 / 9 months later than the QSD8250 respectively. Both feature a 45 nm (more recent) manufacturing process and either an "Adreno 200 enhanced" or "Adreno 205" GPU.

The QSD series is effectively retired and superseded by the MSM series. So yes, the design of the QSD8250's IP core is newer than that of the MSM7227, but the latter seems to be the more recent System-on-Chip. Also, the Nexus One was released on the 5th of January 2010 and shipped with Android 2.1 (Eclair), while the Wildfire S was released on the 15th of May 2011 and shipped with Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread).

Not so sure what that means for CM9 support, since I don't know whether the MSM7227's older IP-core might be a hindrance "instruction-set wise". It certainly won't be a hindrance "performance wise" or "I/O- and peripheral-wise", so as long as CM9 will run a chip with ARMv6 instruction set I don't see any reason for not supporting the MSM7227.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Wolf View Post
Also, once you are in download mode, you use a GUI program called ODIN, like a RUU, it assists you in "downloading" the file to the phone and flashing it.

Yes, Odin is a leaked Samsung-internal utility. There's a clean-room implementation of it that is called Heimdall and is licensed under MIT license.

The Following User Says Thank You to no.human.being For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
bootloader, campaign, dev, exploit, hboot, htc, kernel, radio, s-off, secu-flag, wildfire s