Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,168 Members 51,486 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SUPERGUIDE] ICS-Root-Flash-Stock

Tip us?

slapshot30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbot2 View Post
That works. Thanks.
Strangely enough, I installed busybox, it says I have no root access.
My bootloader is unlocked, I followed the directions precisely.

I also used the guide last week, i used PH39IMG.zip, and vivid_cwm_root_ver.2.zip, it yielded no root then either.
I'll keep reading, thanks a lot.
That's odd, an unlocked bootloader + WC recovery should yield root. I'll look into it as well... Do you have the zip from the last version of this guide? It's named something like ROOT VER2 zip. Try flashing it in recovery if you still have it and then tell me if it says you have root then.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
HTC VIVID SUPERGUIDE

BOOTLOADER UNLOCK, PERM ROOT, CWM, FLASHING ROMS/KERNELS, APN SETTINGS, REVERT TO STOCK

Microbot2
Old
(Last edited by Microbot2; 29th April 2012 at 05:08 PM.) Reason: Clarify
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post
That's odd, an unlocked bootloader + WC recovery should yield root. I'll look into it as well... Do you have the zip from the last version of this guide? It's named something like ROOT VER2 zip. Try flashing it in recovery if you still have it and then tell me if it says you have root then.

Still no root.
The file is vivid_cwm_root_ver2.zip. It seems to work fine, in fact it says so.
Then I check with busybox, and it says no root. I cleared cache, dalvik cache before I tried the second time, no joy.

I wonder if it would be a better idea to load Wc's ICS rooted ROM?

Microbot2
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Still no root.
The file is vivid_cwm_root_ver2.zip. It seems to work fine, in fact it says so.
Then I check with busybox, and it says no root. I cleared cache, dalvik cache before I tried the second time, no joy.

I wonder if it would be a better idea to load Wc's ICS rooted ROM?

I have root!
Thanks to Slapshot30, and all the Dev's who work so hard!

slapshot30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 429
Quote:
I have root!
Thanks to Slapshot30, and all the Dev's who work so hard!
What'd you have to do to make it stick, just flash WC's ROM?

HTC VIVID SUPERGUIDE

BOOTLOADER UNLOCK, PERM ROOT, CWM, FLASHING ROMS/KERNELS, APN SETTINGS, REVERT TO STOCK

slapshot30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 429
Added instructions so that AT&T users do NOT have to S OFF if they don't want to mess with that.
HTC VIVID SUPERGUIDE

bbailey167
Old
(Last edited by bbailey167; 29th April 2012 at 11:25 PM.) Reason: doesn't make sense
Thanks Meter 0
Default What changed

I have two Vivids now. One I bricked and sent in to HTC repair (oddly with bootloader unlocked and rooted they did not charge me anything) and have a returned stock ICS AT&T Vivid. The other one I bought from AT&T and it had ICS as well. I used this guide on 3/31/2012 and got root. I am curious as I have unlocked the bootloader and flashed wcxrecovery.img with no root on the returned Vivid.

BTW you guys rock at this stuff and it is appreciated. Standing by.

slapshot30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbailey167 View Post
I have two Vivids now. One I bricked and sent in to HTC repair (oddly with bootloader unlocked and rooted they did not charge me anything) and have a returned stock ICS AT&T Vivid. The other one I bought from AT&T and it had ICS as well. I used this guide on 3/31/2012 and got root. I am curious as I have unlocked the bootloader and flashed wcxrecovery.img with no root on the returned Vivid.

BTW you guys rock at this stuff and it is appreciated. Standing by.
So the vivid in question has unlocked bootloader, wcx recovery, and stock ROM, correct? Root is not sticking on the stock ROM, you'll need to flash a new kernel + ROM and then let me know if that does the trick.

HTC VIVID SUPERGUIDE

bbailey167
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It might be Tuesday before I get a chance. Stand by.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

Microbot2
Old
(Last edited by Microbot2; 30th April 2012 at 07:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post
What'd you have to do to make it stick, just flash WC's ROM?

Yes, I used #4 option. "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.zip"- THIRD (Manual) (Pirateghost's method). I flashed the Rom, according to instructions, but I think it didn't work. I still have beats and old info, no tethering.

I think I'm going with WCX's sense ROM. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks, bro.

bbailey167
Old
(Last edited by bbailey167; 30th April 2012 at 04:03 PM.) Reason: Missed information
Thanks Meter 0
O.K. So here we go. Yesterday when I was trying to root, I downloaded Titanium Backup and Superuser from the Play Store. Of course when I tried to use them, they said I did not have root (I was using WCXJB Root Pack instructions.) Today, I did the PH39img.zip install from ICS HBOOT (from joeykrim HTC Vivid/Holiday Support-- CWM 5.5.0.4.) Then I put the vivid_cwm_root_ver2.zip on my SD card and went to recovery and installed it. Just reading how to flash a kernel with GUI Flash Kernel and decided to go and see if Titanium Backup would do anything. As soon as I tried to open it, Superuser asked for permission (or whatever) and Titanium opened and said I have root. This was all with the Stock ICS that shipped with my "fixed" Vivid from HTC.

I'm really a NOOB, but the combination must be what I was missing. If this is a "duh" moment, I apologize.

Thank you for an awesome guide.

Tags
htc, perm, root, vivid