Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,807 Members 52,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Let's tell HTC we want a REAL unlock!

Tip us?

imheroldman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Back to topic, yes the whole idea of s-off seems like a common place term, however, this is only because the manufacturer is creating road blocks and locks that keep us from doing what we want. Security and locks make sense, but for the user who understands the risks but simply wants to create custom distributions or simply upgrade firmware on their own schedule there should be a solution with understanding.
Sent by SGH-T999

ROM: Cyanogenmod 10 7/14
Kernel: Stock

My blog: Tech review... In review...

slapshot30
Old
Thanks Meter 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felimenta97 View Post
I may have said it wrong. Sony is very dev friendly on Android. Better now?
No, this is still false. Sony killed off their own dev community. I don't recall exactly what device(s) it was, but I remember a HUGE fiasco involving them which resulted in tons and tons of devs deserting Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imheroldman View Post
Back to topic, yes the whole idea of s-off seems like a common place term, however, this is only because the manufacturer is creating road blocks and locks that keep us from doing what we want. Security and locks make sense, but for the user who understands the risks but simply wants to create custom distributions or simply upgrade firmware on their own schedule there should be a solution with understanding.
No, security and locks like that do NOT make sense. Samsung SHIPS with unlocked bootloaders, and they don't seem to be having too many problems with it because they keep doing it. HTC makes you jump through hoops just to flash a recovery or kernel every time you want a new ROM.
HTC VIVID SUPERGUIDE

BOOTLOADER UNLOCK, PERM ROOT, CWM, FLASHING ROMS/KERNELS, APN SETTINGS, REVERT TO STOCK

imheroldman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post
No, security and locks like that do NOT make sense. Samsung SHIPS with unlocked bootloaders, and they don't seem to be having too many problems with it because they keep doing it. HTC makes you jump through hoops just to flash a recovery or kernel every time you want a new ROM.
I am not exactly familiar with other samsung devices but I know that the Galaxy Nexus you have to physically connect the phone in fastboot and enter an unlock command...
Sent by SGH-T999

ROM: Cyanogenmod 10 7/14
Kernel: Stock

My blog: Tech review... In review...

MR4Y
Old
Thanks Meter 17
You think HTC phones are harder to unlock? Motorola's phones are the hardest sobs to be unlocked. If you go back a few years, you'll see that almost every motorola phone required a hardware box or a very specific and hard to find software to be unlocked.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using XDA

acizcool
Old
Thanks Meter 2
i have a s2 and everything is so easy to do. i still dont know what s-off is
Killbynature Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by acizcool View Post
i have a s2 and everything is so easy to do. i still dont know what s-off is
S-off is security off. Samsung doesn't have any security on their device. This is why samsung phones are so easy to unlock.

HTC unlock is really horrible way of doing things. Because of the boot img which is basically the kernel is blocked as well. If you ever looked in the kernel and at source a lot of stuff that is actually useful to the power user is turned off in the stock kernel. Especially latest Linux kernel patches.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

shaun3010
Old
Thanks Meter 1
s-off on a HTC device is very difficult? have not s-off my sensation XE yet. how difficult is it comparing to samsung device?

Tags
htc, toastcfh, unlock