5,606,297 Members 32,612 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Backup .apk files that are stored on an HTC Desire HD (rooted)

Tip us?

emelnick1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Backup .apk files that are stored on an HTC Desire HD (rooted)

I have searched this forum and have not found an answer. I would like to know how to backup the .apk files that are stored on the phone memory, not the SD card. I have used ASTRO file manager but cannot locate the .apk files. I have already used Titanium Backup Pro but I have found that the .apk files are backed up a .tar.gz files. What I want to do is backup the .apk files as .apk files for future resoration or transport to another Android device. I have searched the phone and cannot loacte where the downloaded .apk's are being stored. Could someone out there please help point me in the right direction.

Doktaphex
Old
Thanks Meter 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelnick1 View Post
I have searched this forum and have not found an answer. I would like to know how to backup the .apk files that are stored on the phone memory, not the SD card. I have used ASTRO file manager but cannot locate the .apk files. I have already used Titanium Backup Pro but I have found that the .apk files are backed up a .tar.gz files. What I want to do is backup the .apk files as .apk files for future resoration or transport to another Android device. I have searched the phone and cannot loacte where the downloaded .apk's are being stored. Could someone out there please help point me in the right direction.
You have a couple of options. You can tell titanium backup not to use compression when backing up, or you can use 'Root Explorer' and navigate to /data/app where you will find all your user installed apps, be aware that the data for the apps, such as save games etc... is stored in /data/data.

Hope that this is of some help to you.
TRANSFORMER prime . desire HD
NEXUS 7 . galaxy S3

emelnick1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Talking Tahnsk for your help

Doktaphex,
I tried turning compression off but titanium backup still created .tar files, not .apk files. Secon option of using root explorer worked just great.
Thanks for your help.

ProreX
Old
Thanks Meter 10
You can use Titanium backup, which will create compressed file, but you can decompress it on your PC and extract .apk file.

Method I use is with ASTRO. Go to menu-tools-backup programs, choose programs you want to backup and hit 'Backup' button. Then navigate to backup folder and there are your programs. But be aware, they will show market names whic are not always easy to determine which .apk is which program.

stylez
Old
Moderator Committee - Assistant Forum Admin
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
I use appmonster as it backs up when you install from any source, using an old version 1.9.0 as they changed the way it puts file names, nopw it does via market, on prior it was a readable name

MAKO / GROUPER / XOOM / G1

shendoz
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am using app saver, it works~

cementboy
Old
Thanks Meter 7
A simple option would be to install appInstaller (the one by Gregory House) from the market.

It's a lightweight app which backs up apk files to a folder on your sd card named app saver.

mojo_ojoj
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Noob here,

how can you locate or transfer a apk files? where are they exactly saved? how can you install/run them? what app should i use?

using a Huawei u8860 phone.

Thanks

glevitan
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1187

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_ojoj View Post
Noob here,

how can you locate or transfer a apk files? where are they exactly saved? how can you install/run them? what app should i use?

using a Huawei u8860 phone.

Thanks
It all depends of the app...if is a system app or a market one. You have to use a file explorer such as file manager or ES explorer.

If the app you are looking for is a system on you need to be rooted.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note II
Rom: Stock
Tablet: Asus Transformer Pad Infinity tf700t - Got rid of this one...performance sucked
Tablet: Nexus 7 2013 - Now we are talking

Easy Ace Root Tool
HTC Desire HD / Inspire 4G Ultimate Noob Guide
OneClickRoot Galaxy Note (GT-N7000)
HTC Easy Unlock Bootloader Tool
Goldcard img Creator

ronnie498
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1786
Try apk extractor in the market its free, its what I use.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

Tags
apk, backup