Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,812 Members 51,058 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Donations on XDA: Good or Bad?

Tip us?

jamesclinton
Old
(Last edited by jamesclinton; 29th April 2012 at 06:09 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,583
Clicking my thanks button is like "donation" 4 me lol

edit: u like it now hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt. slaughter View Post
hey man how about a little signature control there....thats a little too far bud for that virtuous image...ish shouldn't be near that big. And also since we are on the topic of things, that big giant "DON't 4GET TO CLICK THANKS BUTTON".....you might as well be asking for donations. lol

shouldn't have to ask for the things. lol

DONīT 4GET TO CLICK THANKS BUTTON

sgt. slaughter
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesclinton View Post
Clicking my thanks button is like "donation" 4 me lol

edit: u like it now hehe
better now shrink that gigantic signature Virtuous image down to a reasonable size...wayyy too big man, one of the biggest and its frowned upon by senior mods and higher ups...
knowledge561 Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt. slaughter View Post
better now shrink that gigantic signature Virtuous image down to a reasonable size...wayyy too big man, one of the biggest and its frowned upon by senior mods and higher ups...
Are you serious?

sgt. slaughter
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledge561 View Post
Are you serious?
i mean not with the wayyyy too big comment but in general its rather large. trying to give a heads up as its one thing a senior mod mentioned at one point being an issue with some users and having to ask them to trim down their signature that takes up excessive space for what its displaying...

just trying to give a heads up as something might want to try to do as dont be surprised if someone down the road asks it to be minimized some...

if everyone had giant signatures then you start effecting page loads on here and such...only a few of the mod's have big sigs that I know of, but theirs typically have a bunch of info and links like directing to forum rules and such like that...

not trying to start a discussion on this though, just a heads up, fair warning...

yousefak
Old
Thanks Meter 850
This thread has inspired me to change my signature for what is hopefully the better.

Thanks for opening my eyes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yousefak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

freeza
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 9,655

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefak View Post
This thread has inspired me to change my signature for what is hopefully the better.

Thanks for opening my eyes.
You forgot to add "If you like my work, donate! It's not needed but appreciated."
The Following User Says Thank You to freeza For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SinisterChedda
Old
Thanks Meter 170
I think it is OK to ask for donations. If they do something you like then you can donate. Some deserve it more but you can decide for yourself.

pstevep
Old
Senior Moderator / Developer Committee / XDA Portal Team / Recognized Themer / Teh Pony Overlord
Thanks Meter 6,174

DONATE TO ME
Thread cleaned.

Keep it on topic, watch the language please, and be respectful to each other.

Thanks and have a nice evening.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pstevep For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Vinchenzop
Old
(Last edited by Vinchenzop; 30th April 2012 at 05:38 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9,667

DONATE TO ME
I believe donations are good. People can say that many ROM developers are 'just using tools made by someone else and doesn't warrant a donation', but that's like saying a waiter(ess) doesn't deserve a tip because all they did was bring out food that someone else cooked.

I have a donation link because its not up to me to decide if something I've posted (roms, mods, themes, or advice) is worthy of a donation. That is up to the end user that uses what I've made/modded or benefits from my advice.

Anyone that thinks they're going to make a lot of money developing on xda, and only does it for this reason, will quickly find out that that isn't going to happen, and quit. Its a self-weeding system.

I do the things I do on xda because I like to help people and others have helped me in the past, so I'm paying it forward. But if someone feels that what I've done warrants a thanks or a donation, that is up to them. If they donate, I'll put it towards my next device, if no one donates, I'll just buy my own device myself so I can continue doing what I enjoy.

But someone having or not having a donation link isn't going to change my opinion of anyone. I've seen a few people in this thread alone say "hey freeza doesn't have a donation link, he's really cool"...why? Why does him not having a donation link make him cool?

What makes freeza a cool/good guy is his willingness to help others and share whatever projects he's worked on with the community. Not because he doesn't accept donations
Carrier: Verizon
Phone:HTC One Max (Current)/HTC Droid DNA/HTC EVO 4G LTE

If I've Helped You In Any Way, Please Help Someone Else

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinchenzop For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kfunk
Old
Thanks Meter 7,246

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchenzop View Post
I believe donations are good. People can say that many ROM developers are 'just using tools made by someone else and doesn't warrant a donation', but that's like saying a waiter(ess) doesn't deserve a tip because all they did was bring out food that someone else cooked.

I have a donation link because its not up to me to decide if something I've posted (roms, mods, themes, or advice) is worthy of a donation. That is up to the end user that uses what I've made/modded or benefits from my advice.

Anyone that thinks they're going to make a lot of money developing on xda, and only does it for this reason, will quickly find out that that isn't going to happen, and quit. Its a self-weeding system.

I do the things I do on xda because I like to help people and others have helped me in the past, so I'm paying it forward. But if someone feels that what I've done warrants a thanks or a donation, that is up to them. If they donate, I'll put it towards my next device, if no one donates, I'll just buy my own device myself so I can continue doing what I enjoy.

But someone having or not having a donation link isn't going to change my opinion of anyone. I've seen a few people in this thread alone say "hey freeza doesn't have a donation link, he's really cool"...why? Why does him not having a donation link make him cool?

What makes freeza a cool/good guy is his willingness to help others and share whatever projects he's worked on with the community. Not because he doesn't accept donations
Well said - 100% in agreement.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kfunk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]