5,604,367 Members 48,946 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How good is CM9 on the Artix?

Tip us?

Azurael
Old
(Last edited by Azurael; 30th April 2012 at 01:29 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 202
Uhh, I did say the Moto release will fix the prevailing bugs that currently exist mainly as a result of the hackish graphics driver implementation the Atrix CM9 devs have been forced to use.

However, I will stand behind my comment. With every Android device I've worked with and reflashed (the list is pretty long now: HTC Desire, Z, HD, One X, Moto Defy, Atrix, ZTE Blade and an Ainol Novo7 Aurora) I can quite conclusively say that there are some (I'm not saying all) community-developed ROMs that run faster, more stably and give better battery life than the manufacturer-supplied effort.

I don't think the OEMs are idiots. There are a lot of factors at play here: the OEMs have a billion other things to worry about, and limited amounts of developers given a limited amount of time to work on each device. Plus the cost of developing and testing new software for existing devices, and on top of that - the demands of the carriers. I'd say they also have some commercial incentive not to optimise builds too much when updating older hardware - if the new hardware seems much faster (even if that comes from software enhancements), you're more likely to buy it.

Most of the components in modern devices are chosen 'off the peg' and manufacturers development teams don't necessarily know evey possible optimisation for the platform - as an example: the deeper sleep state enabled in QSD8250 on the Desire by open community devs made a massive difference to battery life at the time with no detrimental effects.

Anyway, if manufacturer shipped ROMs are so perfectly stable and functional and 'the best thing out there', I assume you're running a factory ROM with no other mods - rooted at most??? :P
Current:
LG D802 - SlimKat | Asus Grouper - SlimKat-F2FS | Samsung i9100P - SlimKat/Dorimanx | HTC Vision - Flinny CM11

Past:
LG Mako (Given away!) | HTC EndeavorU (eMMC Corruption Brick) | Barnes & Noble Ovation - (LCD Stopped working) | Motorola Olympus (Cooked itself) | HTC Bravo (Sold) | HTC Dream (Retired) | Apple iPhone 2G (Retired as a music player) | HTC Hermes (Touchscreen dead)

Free RAM is wasted RAM, foo!

youliang
Old
Thanks Meter 12
just noticed u wrote there Artix instead of Atrix

MdX MaxX
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Best thing about CM9? It has completely stopped my Atrix from randomly rebooting.
Phone History:

Samsung Galaxy S III i747 [task650's AOKP]
Motorola Atrix MB860 [CM10, WiFi died...]
iPhone 3G [Jailbroken, slow as fuuuu]
Samsung A877 (Impression)
LG CU720 (Shine)
LG C2000

yeahmann
Old
Thanks Meter 381

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by againareku View Post
Unfortunately, many Android lovers tend to believe community devs can do no wrong and corporate devs are slow and retarded.

If so, then why is dev work SO much better when source code, drivers, and official builds are released?

CM9 will be absolutely beyond amazing once official Atrix ICS is out and drivers/source is out.
The source code comes from Google and unless devs are willing to fork Android, which they aren't, they aren't going to modify the source much.

The drivers are proprietary so the hardware manufacturers are in a much better position to release them, then the devs.

The official builds are only useful for the drivers. If Motorola would just release the drivers, the devs don't need the official builds.

So yes CM9 will be much improved when the official ICS is released but that's not because Motorola is better at developing. Having said that, they have completely different objectives so it's not a completely fair comparison. Motorola is much more concerned with stability and maintaining their proprietary modifications.