Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,807 Members 43,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Multiplayer capabilities

Tip us?

sensboston
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
Question Multiplayer capabilities

Hello.

I have a question to developers with practical experience: what is the easiest way to add network multiplayer capabilities to the turn-based, peer to peer game. Of course I'm looking for free or cheap service; or for open source server solution what I can host on my own (paid but basic) Linux/ASP hosting.

P.S. I know how to do it yourself but trying to save my time.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2641
Well, if you want true peer-to-peer, you wouldn't be using any kind of hosting service at all. However, since most mobile operators firewall incoming connections to phones, and since the official APIs are very short on any kind of proper server socket (you can send or receive UDP broadcast, I think?) that would limit you to a mildly crippled WiFi-only network.

Even if you just want to use a central server for matchmaking and scorekeeping and such, you'll run into the same problems as above - you could find people across a larger range than WiFi, but you couldn't actually play with them. If having everybody connected to the same WiFi network is an unacceptable limitation, I'm not sure peer-to-peer is practical.

For something robust enough to handle actual multi-player gaming, I'd suggest going with a "cloud" provider (Azure, AWS, Rackspace, whatever). That doesn't cover the actual software, of course, but hopefully somebody else knows of a good solution there.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

sensboston
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 418

DONATE TO ME
GoodDayToDie, as for custom implementation (if I don't find any "ready to go" solution) I thought about very simple ASP .NET service with send and receive connectors (that solution works pretty fast, easy and stable with WP7, already tested) hosted on $10-20 ASP hosting (there are bunch of cheap ASP .NET hosting in the internet). Azure is too expensive and too big for that purpose (although I received some months/may be year for free because of my BizSpark account - if you have your own company and fit the BizSpark requirements, I recommend you to open BizSpark too)

As for "peer-to-peer" - sorry, it was incorrect sentence. I just mean that turn-by-turn game will have only two players per session/game Of course because of IP limitations I should use client-server architecture. But I'm trying to find any existing free/cheap solution (I believe Android and iPhone multiplayer games also needs that kind of service) to save my time for coding/debugging server side.

the0ne
Old
Thanks Meter 52
would this help : http://www.bestwp7games.com/exit-gam...yer-games.html
---

Windows Phone Apps || Windows Phone Games --- want to review apps and game for windows phone and get paid for it ? Get it touch

---