5,597,647 Members 32,676 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Block ads on your Android phone (2010-04-15)

Tip us?

Coucher
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Trying to register on the website so that I can whitelist a site that by default is blocked.

Keep getting "There was a problem creating your account, please try again. If you still have problems please contact support."

Thoughts?

Megatr0n.
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Is there a reason why adfree android and adaway cripple my download speeds when running speedtest.net?

Adfree android is a little better than adaway (which really hurts my connection speeds), but I'm still seeing well over a 50% reduction in download speed when running adfree android. Now, my question is: is the speed reduction just a result of certain addresses being blocked that the speedtest.net app uses or is adfree's host changes really reducing the connection speeds? I'm debating whether blocking ads is really worth crippling my connection.

p_025
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I haven't seen any kind of slowdown of Verizon's 4G LTE on my Samsung Stratosphere.

I still see some ads though in Angry Birds Seasons. I've seen ones for some Zillow thing, a hotel booking app and, of all things, the iPhone 4S. If I wanted a damn iPhone then I wouldn't have seen the ad in the first place. Please find those domains and filter them, this is starting to piss me off.

motopig
Old
(Last edited by motopig; 15th December 2011 at 06:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_025 View Post
I still see some ads though in Angry Birds Seasons. I've seen ones for some Zillow thing, a hotel booking app and, of all things, the iPhone 4S. If I wanted a damn iPhone then I wouldn't have seen the ad in the first place. Please find those domains and filter them, this is starting to piss me off.
I am seeing that too. I also found that the 2012 seasons switched to Nexage for the ad engine and - worst of all - refuses to move between levels without an internet connection. To top it all off tcpdump bundled in AdFree have not been able to reliably capture any ad activity. I'm also seeing stray ads in AndroZip and TubeMate as well, but I do have a way to block all data in apps that otherwise should not need to go online ever.

EDIT: Looks like the Wreck the Halls update switched again to AdMob.

bobbymokie
Old
Thanks Meter 116
Question, how can I tell what line to remove from the hosts file to no longer block a server? since installing adfree I can no longer view emails or click through to see sales from newegg, my all time favorite site for buying stuff I don't really need. It hurts. I see this in logcat, but don't know how it translates into the sites blocked by the hosts file. Any help would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-1326584521919.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	857489  

StopSpazzing
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbymokie View Post
Question, how can I tell what line to remove from the hosts file to no longer block a server? since installing adfree I can no longer view emails or click through to see sales from newegg, my all time favorite site for buying stuff I don't really need. It hurts. I see this in logcat, but don't know how it translates into the sites blocked by the hosts file. Any help would be appreciated
I second this, any help would be fully appreciated!

baradharajan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
hi, i tired doing this on a Xpera arc -s , i have root acccess, when i do adb push hosts.for.mobile.txt /etc/hosts it says adb: not found, what could be the issue.
Regards,
M.Baradharajan

wyco
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I'm having trouble getting this to work on ICS. Anyone else? [SGS2]

jpinsl
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyco View Post
I'm having trouble getting this to work on ICS. Anyone else? [SGS2]
Works fine on my rooted Galaxy Nexus with ICS 4.0.4.

The app requires root. Are you stock?

jleotta
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Two Problems with AdFree

I have found two problems:

1) When I go into options and as to see the host file in just hangs.
2) nytimes/adx/bin - needs to be added to host file.

I also find that sometime the ads are blocked from the NYTimes app and then they return. I have a Motorola Photon 4G running at 1.3 GHz.

Thanks!

Tags
hosts block filter ads