Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,883 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] TF201 On .21 - Should I wait for Root, or Unlock it?

Tip us?

GearPrimer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Lightbulb [Q] TF201 On .21 - Should I wait for Root, or Unlock it?

I hope this doesn't upset anyone that I ask here, but it's a legit question.

I bought my TF201 used from someone online a couple weeks ago, and sadly they had updated it to .21 before they shipped it to me. I really want to root it so I can use a few apps (the Joystick2Touch addon being my biggest "want") but I'm not sure how long it will be before a root option is figured out for the .21 update.

Is it worth going the unlock path and voiding my warranty, or is there hope for a root option for .21 in a decent timespan? If everyone thinks it's going to be a long time before a root option is available, I may just unlock it, but I'd be willing to wait a month or so for a root option if it's a good possibility there will be one.

Thanks in advance!

collinsac24
Old
Thanks Meter 90
i believe i saw someone someone say just yesterday that we will be having an update soon and that we have a way of rooting so devs dont want to burn an exploit for it to just be updated soon after so might as well wait for the supposed update and then see if we have a root option other than unlocking some time after that.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

GearPrimer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
That''s cool. If that's the case, I can probably just wait for a proper root for the latest update. I don't think anything I want to do with the tablet makes unlocking it worth it unless it's going to be the only foreseeable method for rooting.

Gage_Hero
Old
Thanks Meter 189
Default Root or unlock

Given that there is another update on the way and the post here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1537260 see the post for today by Gary Keys about giving nvflash. I would say it would be highly unlikely for any root method to be forthcomng. That being said, roms will get updated with future updates i'm sure and the thing does run better on custom roms imo. But then again I've rooted every phone i have owned too so I am prone to breaking the warrenty rules.....
Telus Galaxy S4 - Stock 4.3 to
[ROM] Maple leaf iBASTiD if ya aint tried it.... you should... Go Canada... Go iBASTiD......

GearPrimer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I see...

I'm not against unlocking - I would do it if it's worth it - but I'm skittish on any problems happening because of it and not having a warranty to cover it. Is that a genuine concern to have with my Prime and unlocking it? I'm pretty tech-savvy, so I doubt I would screw up the process, I'm just not sure of the risks.

roywebs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default 15 day of use

Hi, im joining the search for a root method in .21, i think this will be usefull for people like me that just bought their primes, even i havent received the gps dongle, so losing my warranty a this time will be premature, 'cause i need be sure that my tablet works ok, thats one of the rasons we will search

Zephyrot
Old
Thanks Meter 691

DONATE TO ME
Here is what you are looking for:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1622628

Working on .21. Search general forums for more info
The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

roywebs
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up THX!!!

Thank you very much Zephyrot!!!!, YES!! that was i'm looking for...