Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,110 Members 52,479 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL/RECOVERY][ICS] Rogue *Stock FC22* (New 3/24/12)

Tip us?

Mark.J.Linskiy
Old
Thanks Meter 386

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_s View Post
Thanks Steady, I just Odin'd this and worked great.

So lots of info and mis-info floating around. I just went to ICS on my E4GT. If I am on Stock Rooted FD02 System [ ICS / OS 4.0.3 ] and now running this FD02 repack, am I able to flash a different ICS ROM (e.g. Calk's 1.4, agat's v0.1.1, etc.) right from recovery or are we still having to go back to GB and then flash forward to ICS? Also can we restore ICS backups while on another ICS ROM?

TIA
If you use Calkulin's format all ZIP before flashing a TouchWiz based leak, you should be fine. I've done it multiple times, as well as flashing a kernel and modems. Just make sure you don't try it on AOKP/CM9/etc or wipe data manually, if you do then you'll probably brick your device.

Odin is still of course the safest and recommended way, but it isn't the only way.
As for restoring backups on ICS, I believe that could cause a brick, or at least it's a no no.

DataHawg
Old
(Last edited by DataHawg; 11th April 2012 at 09:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 767
I agree with most of what you posted Mark. I only flash a GB kernel if I want to do a manual factory reset as well. Otherwise I use the format all zip. I have backed up and restored at least 25 times with an ICS recovery but I wouldn't restore a GB backup from an ICS recovery or vice versa

shawnten
Old
Thanks Meter 108
What happened to steady.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

bigpeng
Old
Thanks Meter 1147

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnten View Post
What happened to steady.

He's on NS4G

Thanks AnAm85 for the sweet banner!

RainMotorsports
Old
(Last edited by RainMotorsports; 3rd May 2012 at 08:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
What happened to steady.
He gave his Wife the E4GT he MIGHT do one more after source comes out. He hasnt even decided if he is doing the Galaxy Nexus yet.

Mean while im searching and learning and hope to be able to do some stock repacks but it likely will require some help. I have the basic idea on repacking initramfs on a compiled kernel but need to learn the recovery end of the deal.
Current Phone Nexus 5 | Black 311 | CyanogenMod 11 | T-Mobile
Old Phone Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch | CyanogenMod 11 | FI25 Modem
Desktop i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X750
MSI GTX570 TF III @ 950/1900/2300 | 2TB 5900 + 2X320GB 7200 RAID0 | Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RainMotorsports For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shawnten
Old
Thanks Meter 108
^^ ok that would be cool

RainMotorsports
Old
Thanks Meter 709
Quote:
^^ ok that would be cool
Well compiling from source, adding cwm recovery, boot animation support, init.d support etc is one thing. The leaks are another thing. After initial studying it was pretty obvious you can extract and repack the initramfs with recovery. But i don't know what Steady knows and I am sure there is going to be a missing piece of the puzzle until source is out (other than the currently missing peices). I mean you have not really notice other people doing the repacks. That could of course be just because there is no real point with the eMMC frying issue we have.
Current Phone Nexus 5 | Black 311 | CyanogenMod 11 | T-Mobile
Old Phone Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch | CyanogenMod 11 | FI25 Modem
Desktop i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X750
MSI GTX570 TF III @ 950/1900/2300 | 2TB 5900 + 2X320GB 7200 RAID0 | Zalman CNPS9900 MAX

Steady Hawkin
Old
(Last edited by Steady Hawkin; 4th May 2012 at 03:57 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 2631
Sorry its been a while guys. For those of you who missed my G+ post, here is the deal. I did get the Sprint G-Nex and gave my wife my E4GT. Once source is released we will likely release one last source built kernel as well as an updated recovery. I will likely need a few testers since I don't use the phone anymore. With that being said, test builds will be released on my G+ page when we start geting close for anyone who wants to help. Test builds will be posted there, final build will be posted here. I want to thank all of you for the support you showed us over the last few months, Android would not be what it is without you!

-Steady
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Steady Hawkin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TimidRat
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by digweed4me View Post
Same here man its the user error that gave them bricks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
I can confirm it isn't user error, it happened too me and ive been flashing roms for 10 years, it definitely wasnt user error, it's luck of the draw.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hawkin View Post
Sorry its been a while guys. For those of you who missed my G+ post, here is the deal. I did get the Sprint G-Nex and gave my wife my E4GT. Once source is released we will likely release one last source built kernel as well as an updated recovery. I will likely need a few testers since I don't use the phone anymore. With that being said, test builds will be released on my G+ page when we start geting close for anyone who wants to help. Test builds will be posted there, final build will be posted here. I want to thank all of you for the support you showed us over the last few months, Android would not be what it is without you!

-Steady
? youre gonna stop before you finish, i still don't even stand the point of rouges ics recoveries since you can do anything with them unless you wanna brick your phone... i hope too god that final update fixs the brick issue.

blackcanopy
Old
(Last edited by blackcanopy; 12th May 2012 at 05:54 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2803
Uh
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimidRat View Post
I can confirm it isn't user error, it happened too me and ive been flashing roms for 10 years, it definitely wasnt user error, it's luck of the draw.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

? youre gonna stop before you finish, i still don't even stand the point of rouges ics recoveries since you can do anything with them unless you wanna brick your phone... i hope too god that final update fixs the brick issue.
Wow... Someone has been mislead here (not me) that's an ICS recovery issue, not a rouge issue. Are you flashing anything with a GB kernel EL26, EL29? Most likely, if you are, it's repacked with rouge recovery (or your not listening to what is being recommended to flash a ROM by almost every developer right now) it is recommended to flash ROMS with GB kernel. I haven't heard of any bricking from flashing themes, kernels, modems or other zip files with ICS rouge repack kernel, so to say what you are saying is beyond rude, but also inaccurate.

I for one thank you Steady for all the effort you put into all the kernel repacks with your recovery and tweaks... I can't thank you enough and hope you didn't even read the post I quoted. If you did, I'm sorry for making you read it again by quoting it.. Lol

Thank you for getting us pumped for the latest and greatest after source, you certainly don't owe that to any of us... now I will freshen up on underclocking/ overvolting again.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackcanopy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]