Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

MHL adapter i777 oriented (not other devices)

OP Edgarhighman

23rd April 2012, 05:38 AM   |  #11  
Flag Tooele, UT
Thanks Meter: 310

1,673 posts
More
I don't think it works on AOKP or CM9, without installing an extra app. I've been using it on SHOstock 2 just fine. I think the TW ROMs have the support built in. I know 2.3 MIUI does not support MHL.

It only needs the power adapter if your TV does not support MHL. If your TV is MHL compliant it will send power over the HDMI port and charge your phone. The standard is still new, almost no TVs support it yet. You can still mirror the screen over HDMI with a MHL adapter, but you have to power the adapter. MHL compliant TVs should be able to control the phone through the TV, but because those TVs are as common as unicorns I haven't tested it. With a non MHL compliant TV all it does is accept the input from your phone. You must still navigate on your phone. But, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse to control your phone wirelessly.

I got the cheapest MHL adapter on eBay that shipped free from inside the US. I think I paid ~$7. Its worked fine for me over the past 6 months.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)
3rd May 2012, 02:37 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 174

352 posts
More
Im running ICS 4.0.3 SHOstock2 v2.2.4 with 3.0.30-cherrypicker kernel on my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II i777. I purchased a MENOTEK MHL to HDMI adapter and Im trying to use it with my RCA Plasma TV. I connect the adapter to the HDMI cable then the power cable to the Adapter, and then I connect the adapter to my phone. The tv recognizes that I have the HDMI cable plugged in then the screen goes black. While I have the adapter plugged into the phone, the phone works fine, only there isn't anything being displayed on the screen. I try to launch several video apps, still nothing. The weirdest thing is when I unplug the adapter from my phone, it causes the phone to freeze and I have to pull the battery to restart. Is anyone else having a simular problem and may know of a fix. Ive done a few searches but havent been able to find anything. I appreciate any help that I can get.
4th May 2012, 04:57 AM   |  #13  
Flag Tooele, UT
Thanks Meter: 310

1,673 posts
More
I would ask in the SHOstock thread. It worked fine for me, but I switched to AOKP. The last SHOstock I tried MHL was 2.2 I think. I would guess its a kernel thing. Maybe try another kernel?

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)
The Following User Says Thank You to quarlow For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th May 2012, 05:54 AM   |  #14  

352 posts
More
Thanx! I will definitely look into a different kernal. The only problem with asking on the SHOstock thread is my account is new. I don't have enough posts to comment on that thread.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA
6th May 2012, 01:52 PM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 79

390 posts
More
it should work with shostock I've been using it with phone bricker works good. The only roms that won't work at least as of now is aosp aokp roms cause our bases are derived from Samsung bases international or otherwise which contain it. A long time ago entropy told me something along the lines of the mhl code being proprietary closed source which is why cm9 etc doesn't have it. But with ics and the huge user base if anyone is talented enough to get that working they will.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
6th May 2012, 01:58 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 79

390 posts
More
Also for the TV remote in the other post is correct at least what I'm pretty sure your talking about. Cause a friend of mine just got one of those new voice/gesture etc Sammy TVs and they have mhl,dlna etc. Honestly at that point you aren't concerned with a phone remote when you can just use gestures and voice

7th May 2012, 10:42 PM   |  #17  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 8

288 posts
I got a sharp aquos with viperdrive (2007 gaming LCD)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA
9th May 2012, 01:39 PM   |  #18  

352 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizda1

it should work with shostock I've been using it with phone bricker works good. The only roms that won't work at least as of now is aosp aokp roms cause our bases are derived from Samsung bases international or otherwise which contain it. A long time ago entropy told me something along the lines of the mhl code being proprietary closed source which is why cm9 etc doesn't have it. But with ics and the huge user base if anyone is talented enough to get that working they will.

I updated to the most recent update ShoStock 2.2.6 but I still seem to have the same problem. The television screen is blue before I Connect the phone. Once the phone is connected the screen goes black but doesnt mirror the phone screen. When I unplug the phone from the adapter it become unresponsive and I have to reboot. I starting to think the adapter may be DOA
9th May 2012, 05:37 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 11

154 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaXaPhIDeSoUl

I updated to the most recent update ShoStock 2.2.6 but I still seem to have the same problem. The television screen is blue before I Connect the phone. Once the phone is connected the screen goes black but doesnt mirror the phone screen. When I unplug the phone from the adapter it become unresponsive and I have to reboot. I starting to think the adapter may be DOA

I'm with you in the ShoStock MHL woes. Some say it works, it hasn't been working for me. The adapter is not DOA if the screen is going black and changing on the TV. My TV (Samsung) recognizes there is an MHL device connected with AnyNet+ but the screen goes black as well. The adapter worked on GB Roms, Unnamed/Unoriginal to be exact. Will try out PhoneBricker.
9th May 2012, 11:24 PM   |  #20  
MD
Thanks Meter: 36

434 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgarhighman

Check out this item I found on eBay:

iKross MHL Adapter+Wireless Keyboard For Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 i777 Nexus Note

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/iKross-MHL-A...-/270941494794

(Sent from eBay Mobile for Android)

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA

I'll vouch for that general design of the keyboard, seems like Ion knock-off.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread