received this question by PM:
I really really need help with this Whatsapp xtractor;
I have tried so hard to understand and follow this;
1. Root your android phone or use any other method to get access to the folder
2. copy the files "msgstore.db" and "wa.db" to a certain folder of your computer
BUT I don't know what the hell I am doing. I am not a technophobe, nor am I a developer, or similar. I just really need to get the chats downloaded off a Samsung Galaxy Ace (GT-S5830) as they contain critical info I need to download to my PC. Can you tell me what I have to do in practical terms please?
The HowTo that you have quoted refers to an older version. The new version is able to decrypt the msgstore.db.crypt file that you can find on the SD card of your Samsung Galaxy Ace. I guess you know how to connect your Samsung to your Computer and copy files from the SD card?
- in Whatsapp, go to settings - more - Backup Chats and hit Backup
- then connect the mobile to your computer, copy the whole folder /WhatsApp to your computer to e.g. C:\WhatsApp
- on your computer in folder C:\WhatsApp, copy the file C:\WhatsApp\Databases\msgstore.db.crypt to C:\WhatsApp
- download and extract the newest version of Whatsapp Xtract (download link in first post
) and extract the .zip file also to e.g. C:\WhatsApp
- Now msgstore.db.crypt and the new files, e.g. !README.txt should be in the same folder, e.g. C:\WhatsApp
- Now download and install Activepython (see Howto in first post
- Now run "install pyCrypto.bat"
- Now everything should be prepared. Now you can run "whatsapp_xtract_android_crypted.bat"