Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,852 Members 40,153 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][ICS][7/9] Android Open Kang Project Fascinate Milestone 6 (4.0.4)

Tip us?

JoeDat
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageDieu View Post
60% of the time, CM7 fixes it every time.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
So is that why my phone smells like pure gasoline?

Sent from my brain...

Phones: Synergized Samsung Galaxy SIII
Motorola Droid Razr, Stock (I know...don't laugh)
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running CM 10.1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeDat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ssewk2x
Old
Thanks Meter 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobchef View Post
Its up to the software, not the song. I am using an mp3 for my boot_audio that's just over 1 minute. On a fresh flash it might finish, but normally gets cut off before a minute is up.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, lol. If the song is short, tho, it will obviously finish before the software does - no looping or anything like that.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by djk21108 View Post
So is CDMA split a necessary option? Can CDMA phones not send multi-page texts to each other?
Yes, that's correct. If you're on a CDMA network, you have a 140 character limit per sms message, and its on your application to either break them up or convert them to mms (which has a several-thousand character limit, btw) - the network will either truncate the message to 140 characters or refuse to send it at all.
--
ssewk2x aka Efpophis

Verizon Fascinate (retired)
AT&T Note II - PAC-man (whatever nightly I managed to flash last), Devil kernel (latest, possibly my own custom build)

djk21108
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Yes, that's correct. If you're on a CDMA network, you have a 140 character limit per sms message, and its on your application to either break them up or convert them to mms (which has a several-thousand character limit, btw) - the network will either truncate the message to 140 characters or refuse to send it at all.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Is there any reason why it sometimes work and sometimes doesn't?
Can I tell the stock messaging app to turn every multi-page SMS into an MMS?

ssewk2x
Old
Thanks Meter 1359
Quote:
Interesting. Is there any reason why it sometimes work and sometimes doesn't?
I'm only theorizing here. A network as big as verizon's is probably a hybrid network at this point since they've acquired many different cellular service providers using many different technologies (CDMA, PCS, maybe even GSM, etc). So it might vary depending on which cell tower you're currently using and what specific band / technology it is utilizing.

That's really just a wild-ass guess, though. Truth is, I don't know.

Quote:
Can I tell the stock messaging app to turn every multi-page SMS into an MMS?
I think so. I don't use the stock app myself. You can always look at the settings and see. If it's there, then give it a shot.

I personally prefer the split option just because MMS messages take a bit longer and are subject to all that wacky network / wifi wonkiness that sometimes happens. Granted it is a LOT better on AOKP, but I still have the occasional MMS that won't send until I shut wifi off now and then.

Personally, I blame Verizon for insisting that MMS apps can't access their MMS servers over wifi. I understand they do it to make sure ppl who are sending mms messages are properly authenticated, but there are other and better ways of doing that which would be a lot less intrusive .. in my opinion anyway.
--
ssewk2x aka Efpophis

AT&T Note II - PAC-man (whatever nightly I managed to flash last), Devil kernel (latest, possibly my own custom build)
The Following User Says Thank You to ssewk2x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bobloblaw1
Old
Thanks Meter 413
Yes there is a split at 160 chars option in the messaging app on m5

Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda premium

djk21108
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssewk2x View Post
I'm only theorizing here. A network as big as verizon's is probably a hybrid network at this point since they've acquired many different cellular service providers using many different technologies (CDMA, PCS, maybe even GSM, etc). So it might vary depending on which cell tower you're currently using and what specific band / technology it is utilizing.

I think so. I don't use the stock app myself. You can always look at the settings and see. If it's there, then give it a shot.

I personally prefer the split option just because MMS messages take a bit longer and are subject to all that wacky network / wifi wonkiness that sometimes happens. Granted it is a LOT better on AOKP, but I still have the occasional MMS that won't send until I shut wifi off now and then.

Personally, I blame Verizon for insisting that MMS apps can't access their MMS servers over wifi. I understand they do it to make sure ppl who are sending mms messages are properly authenticated, but there are other and better ways of doing that which would be a lot less intrusive .. in my opinion anyway.
Awesome, I really appreciate your effort in answering my question. Another thing that comes up with SMS is delivery reports. I request them from my SMS app, but I never get a response. It stays pending forever, even if the other person is also on Verizon.

Any insight?

Edit: What's the point of the Strip unicode setting. What characters am I sending that aren't unicode?

dsrhokie
Old
Thanks Meter 29
And it explains the bits of real panther... So you know it's good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDat View Post
So is that why my phone smells like pure gasoline?

The Following User Says Thank You to dsrhokie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kallell
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssewk2x View Post

If you need, use go SMS pro, that's what i use (i'm on Uscellular, so cmda). You can auto convert to mms or auto split. I prefer auto split because there are still those who can't recieve mms messages, so all they see is gibberish letters and symbols.
Battery like a bawss

ssewk2x
Old
Thanks Meter 1359
Quote:
Awesome, I really appreciate your effort in answering my question. Another thing that comes up with SMS is delivery reports. I request them from my SMS app, but I never get a response. It stays pending forever, even if the other person is also on Verizon.

Any insight?

Edit: What's the point of the Strip unicode setting. What characters am I sending that aren't unicode?
Yeah, I've noticed that delivery confirmations never work on AOSP roms. No idea why or if it is even possible to fix. Maybe someday ....

About unicode, I think some of those emoji icons are implemented under the sheets as unicode characters, but I'm once again wild-guessing.
--
ssewk2x aka Efpophis

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ssewk2x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

scarfman4
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfman4 View Post
I must not be having much luck with battery life as you are. I charge it at night and at 7am my battery is already at 89%, and during the day when I'm not using it it's dropping 2-3% every half hour. With GeeWiz and KGB it would drop 1% every 30-45min of non use.

I'm going to try calibrating the battery and see if I have any better luck.

An update on this: I did a battery calibration and ran my phone all the way down to dead. After charging it last night I'm still at 89% at 1:45pm with low use, whereas before I would be in the low 70s or high 60s.

Only issue I had was last night when I only had about 5% battery my data was stuck on uploading. I turned on Airplane mode to fix it but the option in my power menu was greyed out so I couldn't turn it off without rebooting.

Problems flashing? Be sure to follow droidstyle's guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1238070