Ask a question

No registration required

Warning!! connect one X to pc copy files may cause SD space lost

OP mmx6688

3rd May 2012, 03:47 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 102

376 posts
More
Heres a shot of Mine using Disk Usage App. about 6gb in System Data lol...

3rd May 2012, 03:56 PM   |  #22  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,400

8,972 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdskenburg

Yeah I think you're right. Still, it's strange that seedoubleu is reporting to have more than 14GB of 'bad sectors', what would be hidden there?

I still think this has something to do with the device's memory controller, because the 3+ GB really isn't accessible.

As Paul from MoDaCo said, HTC's not using the standard ICS MTP protocol. They've created a hybrid so the phone can support mass storage. Rather than letting the OS manage storage as a single disk, they're manipulating storage behind the scenes to create the illusion of two separate disks. It would make sense (to me) that what CHKDSK is viewing as bad sectors could be a virtual drive expanding and contracting. Just a guess.

P.S. - To further support this, something strange happened when I had the phone charging via USB. I was using Astro to move some files around and I got "disk full" errors. When connected via USB, even for charging, phone storage is locked on the device and isn't reopened until it's disconnected and the phone does a media scan. So HTC's obviously doing some voodoo in the background.
Last edited by BarryH_GEG; 3rd May 2012 at 04:02 PM.
3rd May 2012, 04:02 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
Attached mine,

Funnily enough the System data has once again increased in size since I disconnected my phone (which I didn't do safely ). Coincidence?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-03 14.56.20.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1038435  
The Following User Says Thank You to seedoubleu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2012, 04:05 PM   |  #24  
Flag Spokane, Washington

8,972 posts
Try moving some apps from phone storage to SD (and vice versa) to see if that effects the size of the system file. If it does, that supports the virtual drive theory.
3rd May 2012, 04:18 PM   |  #25  

11 posts
I moved a few things backwards and forwards and System data went down from 15234 to 14855...
3rd May 2012, 04:26 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 19

49 posts
Hmm nice work HTC Not very neat

So I guess we might get in to problems when using a large amount of the supposedly available capacity
3rd May 2012, 04:35 PM   |  #27  
Flag Spokane, Washington

8,972 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdskenburg

Hmm nice work HTC Not very neat

So I guess we might get in to problems when using a large amount of the supposedly available capacity

It really shouldn't be an issue. If there's 10GB of crap on your phone and 25GB of available storage it doesn't matter which virtual drive it lives on. Using an interface like Astro you can see which virtual drive things are on and move them back and forth. Things like CHKDSK and other drive tools won't work though. I kind of like the approach HTC took vs. using MTP. It's faster for transferring files and easier when accessing the phone from a (Windows) PC.
3rd May 2012, 04:45 PM   |  #28  

11 posts
So this is a non issue really? If I were to upload a 1GB file for instance would that just reduce the size of the 'System data' folder to accommodate for that?
3rd May 2012, 06:26 PM   |  #29  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 13

58 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm also seeing the same thing, but on my phone is showing 14160 MiB taken up by system data ?

I have no music / videos on the phone, just some games and apps, which according to diskusage is taking approx 5-8 GB. I've 3.7GB free !

Something is not right here
The Following User Says Thank You to irishj For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2012, 06:31 PM   |  #30  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 30

197 posts
your sd is eaten by system like i was.

Sent from my HTC One X

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
partition, system data
Previous Thread Next Thread