[Q] Keeping grandfathered unlimited data

2nd May 2012, 09:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 15

81 posts
More
So I call AT&T before ordering on amazon, and the rep tells me that I'll be able to call back and switch my data plan to the "5GB Unlimited." I inquire as to how the plan works, she says that if I go over 5GB, I get charged, because it is not unlimited. But then she confirmed that I'll be keeping the grandfathered data plan.

Is this consistent with what other people are getting? Just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself over. Thanks!
2nd May 2012, 09:12 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 198

2,506 posts
It is not called 5GB unlimited. It is LTE unlimited and you will never be charged for overage. What happens is you will be throttled (300k to 500k speed) when you use over 5GB.

You will have to call AT&T to switch back to your unlimited plan after you received your phone from Amazon.
The Following User Says Thank You to foxbat121 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2012, 09:19 PM   |  #3  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 2

22 posts
More
You will probably want to follow up with AT&T after you get your phone to make sure you are actually keeping your grandfathered unlimited plan and that you have not actually been switched over to the 5GB plan.
The Following User Says Thank You to nactownplaya For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2012, 09:34 PM   |  #4  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 4

46 posts
More
I had to convince the at&t rep when ordering over the phone that I should have unlimited grandfathered plan.

It is always worth checking to make sure they didn't take it away from you.
The Following User Says Thank You to gbrewman For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2012, 01:04 AM   |  #5  
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 110

1,689 posts
Donate to Me
More
While on the phone and on web chat, I asked this specifically with radioshack rep several times that i want to keep my grandfathered unlimited data and they say yes it will be possible. I told them why on my receipt it shows mt dataplan got switched to the 5gb+tether for $50, they said this is only for initial processing, but after approval, everything will go back to the way it was. I made sure to get them to confirm this before I purchased and after i purchased haha.

We will see if this is still the case when I finally get my phone. If not, sucks I might have to cancel and return the phone. unlimited data is pretty valuable especially when you get to go all the way up to 5GB before being throttled in LTE.
3rd May 2012, 02:58 AM   |  #6  
Flag Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 4

10 posts
More
When I placed my pre-order through AT&T, I specifically had the option to add the "LTE Unlimited Personal" data package. I was pretty tempted by RadioShack offering it at $50. But given all I read about them farqing things up for pretty much everybody they sell things to, I paid the whole $200 through AT&T. I am willing to pay extra to make sure nobody screws up my unlimited data plan. But that's just me.
3rd May 2012, 04:57 AM   |  #7  
Flag Goodyear, Az
Thanks Meter: 75

2,260 posts
More
I kept my smartphone unlimited plan. AT&T had no problem letting me keep my plan
3rd May 2012, 05:32 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

11 posts
Keeping my unlimited data plan is the sole reason I always upgrade through ATT. Sure the Radio Shack and Amazon prices are always lower but I never fully trust that ATT will put unlimited data back after I get the phone...
4th May 2012, 01:20 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 2

34 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snvyas

Keeping my unlimited data plan is the sole reason I always upgrade through ATT. Sure the Radio Shack and Amazon prices are always lower but I never fully trust that ATT will put unlimited data back after I get the phone...

Agreed. Spending more in the store is worth it to me rather than running the chance of losing the unlimited data plan.
4th May 2012, 01:44 AM   |  #10  
Flag Portland, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 443

1,161 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4

Agreed. Spending more in the store is worth it to me rather than running the chance of losing the unlimited data plan.

Even if somehow they screw your data plan up. You can always get your unlimited data plan back. As long as you can:

-Prove that you've had it
-Say that it was changed without your knowledge / consent.

I cannot add them back in the store. You will have to call 611 to get it added back to your account if it was messed up by some other retailer. It's always worth checking your account online to make sure. Or dial *3282#. That will tell you what data plan you currently have.

The type of data connection doesn't matter either. If you are just now moving to your first LTE device, the amount of data you are allowed to transfer before the throttle increases to 5gb from 3gb. The cost is the same and it is still unlimited. Meaning no overage costs.

If you have any specific questions or if customer service gives you any trouble. Please message me and I can help resolve it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread