5,605,250 Members 38,882 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tmo Gtab 7.0+ WANT to keep but MUST return due to inadvertent calls to dead number

Tip us?

MrJinx
Old
(Last edited by MrJinx; 3rd May 2012 at 11:06 PM.) Reason: spelling, using my tiny phone keyboard, lol.
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Hi,

I'm [I][U]not interested[U][I] in using my tab to make calls; only to send texts via the native in-built messaging app. I don't want to use other Android apps, just the stock messaging. I am able to do this to great success on Sprint. Sprint is able to go into the backend system and apply conditional call forwarding. Not the case with Tmo.

My main purpose is to NOT miss calls from people who may decide to call via reply to text as that's what appears as my callback number when it's not.

Thanks so much to everyone for your input.

Fairy Princess
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJinx View Post
Hi,

I'm [I][U]not interested[U][I] in using my tab to make calls; only to send texts via the native in-built messaging app. I don't want to use other Android apps, just the stock messaging. I am able to do this to great success on Sprint. Sprint is able to go into the backend system and apply conditional call forwarding. Not the case with Tmo.

My main purpose is to NOT miss calls from people who may decide to call via reply to text as that's what appears as my callback number when it's not.

Thanks so much to everyone for your input.

Sorry to say, but TMO won't support this. They have silly notion that you should buy a separate phone from them if you want to make calls.

chrisrotolo
Old
Thanks Meter 452

DONATE TO ME
still not sure what device you have. this may be worth a shot, although I understand tmobile says its not possible, etc.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...all_Forwarding

what is wrong with other messaging apps?, there are usually many on the market which have many more options than stock. just asking.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrotolo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrJinx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy Princess View Post

Sorry to say, but TMO won't support this. They have silly notion that you should buy a separate phone from them if you want to make calls.
Hi,

Don't want/need to make calls. I only need for texting, however, if one of my candidate prospects (I am unknown to them at this point) attempts to call me via the link on their phone because of my text from the tablet, it'll ring to a dead number, the tablet number.

I ONLY want the calls to be conditionally call forwarded to my other Tmo cell phone which already has unlimited phone minutes.

MrJinx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrotolo View Post
still not sure what device you have. this may be worth a shot, although I understand tmobile says its not possible, etc.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...all_Forwarding

what is wrong with other messaging apps?, there are usually many on the market which have many more options than stock. just asking.
Hi Chris,

The reason I don't want to use other apps is if/when we move to ICS some of those apps may not be compatible for some time until they upgrade. I was burned using a VOIP app (Line 2) which worked very well and suited my needs on my older Gingerbread Tab (HTC EVO View) and when I upgraded to HoneyComb I learned that Line2 won't and never will support HC and I now know that the EVO View tab will not be upgraded to ICS.

I don't want to go there anymore, it severely impacts my ability to get my work done. I'd much rather use the native messaging app. Also because it doesn't use any data to use the native app, if I use an app from the Play Market, I'm likely going to have to use up my data plan and then I am prone to crashing, etc. Unless I am missing something are there any other alternatives?

V/r.

DebauchedSloth
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Two options:

(1) Sign up for GoogleVoice and port your number to that. This is very easy and will give you full control over where that phone call routes.

(2) Go get a straighttalk SIM ($15) and service ($45, for unlimited) and tell TMO they've lost your business.

Or, do both.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DebauchedSloth For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]