OP saranhai

1st September 2011, 12:11 AM   |  #31  
OP Recognized Contributor / Developer
Flag Nowhere
Thanks Meter: 3,340

4,888 posts
Donate to Me
More
won't work bud. as you see in the post before yours, once the chip is dead, there's no reviving it.
just ask tmobile for a replacement, they replaced mine.
5th September 2011, 03:37 PM   |  #32  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 486

3,141 posts
More
A related question: Suppose my eMMC goes bad at a point when I have a custom ROM installed, such that Mobilicity might hesitate to take it in for warranty.

Is there anything I can do once eMMC has failed, to SUPER-brick the device, so that you can't even tell that I once S-OFFed it because it's so screwed? Which might be better than bringing it into the store with a clear custom ROM.
5th September 2011, 05:56 PM   |  #33  
Account currently disabled
Flag FL
Thanks Meter: 5

38 posts
More
If you want to hard-brick the device so the RMA is not denied for warranty replacement. Then I suggest you do a search on our Q&A sub forum as I did put few methods few months back. Only way to fix it is to replace the motherboard.

Sent from my HTC Glacier
6th September 2011, 06:28 AM   |  #34  
OP Recognized Contributor / Developer
Flag Nowhere
Thanks Meter: 3,340

4,888 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist

A related question: Suppose my eMMC goes bad at a point when I have a custom ROM installed, such that Mobilicity might hesitate to take it in for warranty.

Is there anything I can do once eMMC has failed, to SUPER-brick the device, so that you can't even tell that I once S-OFFed it because it's so screwed? Which might be better than bringing it into the store with a clear custom ROM.

you can't hard brick it anymore, since you cannot write to the eMMC chip. you could short circuit it.
but the only way to fix this as of now is to change the motherboard like AggNA mentioned.
6th September 2011, 08:17 PM   |  #35  
Moderator Committee - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 11,834

15,332 posts
Donate to Me
More
Ok guys. Rudeness will not be tolerated in any form. I see to much of this around the forums and this will change. If it is not constructive then dont post it.

For those that know me, then you know what is next.
For those that dont. I have just come out of retirement as a mod and while Fair, I am very FIRM. I give one warning and one warning only.
6th September 2011, 08:37 PM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 7

44 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkr234

(speculation that the opening poster's method doesn't work; the post wasn't quoted as-is because it contained unnecessary flaming.)

I spoke to HTC this morning, and it took a LONG time to reach somebody who was familiar with this.

ACCORDING TO THE TECH (and I have no idea whether he was telling it to me straight or making things up), the problem is hardware-related. According to the rep, about one out of five of the suspect chips are actually defective; the other 80% are fine. Put into simple terms, the defect may cause the chip to be written to incorrectly, which may or may not corrupt things up to and including "bricking" the phone. The rest is summed up as best I can:

1) Not all defective chips will go bad. It depends on how the phone is used. Repeatedly flashing ROMS and such will definitely speed up the process.

2) If the phone gets bricked, and the chip is still usable, re-flashing may fix it. Of course, if the chip isn't usable anymore, the phone is finished.

3) The rep recommends that if you get the bricked phone messages while flashing, you should attempt to flash "stock" back to it (i.e. Froyo 2.2.1, Gingerbread 2.3.4 etc.: what HTC put on the phone in the first place or sent OTA). If this works, do not attempt to root or modify it again. If it's in warranty, get it replaced. If it isn't, leaving it on stock will give the chip the best chance to not get any worse.

Again, this is what I was told. I'm not a phone geek, so I have no idea if what he said was true or even possible.
Last edited by Tom Barrister; 6th September 2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Typos, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Barrister For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th March 2012, 06:29 PM   |  #37  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
Exclamation Available non rooted mt4g w/ failing emmc for testing!
i have a mt4g never been rooted....

hboot-0.86.0000
microp-0429
radio-26.03.02.26_m

i believe the emmc is failing but not quite dead yet....
if the battery is left out of the phone for 20 min....upon putting it back in i can boot to recovery, fastboot, hboot okay....and the phone will boot and have wifi, signal, etc......but after 5 min the phone will start slowing down quite consideradbly....and then reboot to the mt4g boot loop until the battery is removed for another 20 min...also when entering the recovery menu...command responses are few and far between....

in the past i have had emmc errors in the recovery menu upod wiping data/cache and even had the phone completly lock up during a wipe operation...the phone has nver been rooted to my knoweldge and is still s-on...

i am willing to devote this phone to testing so if anyone has any ideas and can work with me on trying to come up with a emmc fix plz pm me whenever you want to....

i will be trying this fix today to see if it has any effect...i will report back with results....hopefully it works!
4th May 2012, 02:36 AM   |  #38  
Thanks Meter: 0

34 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranhai

i'm pretty sure it the eMMC's filesystem got corrupted, but of course, i could be very wrong.
that's why we need a bricked MT4G with dead eMMC.

Can i test this for u guys ?

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread