FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more

Cyngn Explained: Who’s Cyanogen, What’s Cyanogen OS?

While Cyanogen, Inc has been the source of many headlines lately, there … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

otg cable

27th April 2012, 06:19 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 137
 
More
Is this true thing or just a scam?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-OTG-Mic...item4cfef29303
P.S I dont know this dealer and i m not promoting him either
 
 
30th April 2012, 03:09 PM |#2  
bob8x's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Lodi
Thanks Meter: 27
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasantha

Is this true thing or just a scam?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10cm-OTG-Mic...item4cfef29303
P.S I dont know this dealer and i m not promoting him either


I think that is only an adaptor, so you should patch kernel to enable host mode; but afaik that patched-kernel works only on froyo rom..
The Following User Says Thank You to bob8x For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2012, 12:22 PM |#3  
Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 19
 
Donate to Me
More
That cable works BUT, you need a power source to actually have the OTG working. Look for some Y cable. The Y cable should look like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-MALE-TO-...#ht_500wt_1413
Except instead of mini usb end, you need female usb end.
you plug one end of the usb to phone and the other one to any usb power source.

You need the Y cable since Incredible S doesn't provide any power out from its microusb port, unlike the sgs2.

Of course you need to have a ROM that have the OTG capable kernel, I think those ICS should work, since OTG should be enabled on all ICS kernels.
The Following User Says Thank You to wpra3 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2012, 07:20 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 137
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpra3

That cable works BUT, you need a power source to actually have the OTG working. Look for some Y cable. The Y cable should look like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-MALE-TO-...#ht_500wt_1413
Except instead of mini usb end, you need female usb end.
you plug one end of the usb to phone and the other one to any usb power source.

You need the Y cable since Incredible S doesn't provide any power out from its microusb port, unlike the sgs2.

Of course you need to have a ROM that have the OTG capable kernel, I think those ICS should work, since OTG should be enabled on all ICS kernels.

If external power needed i dont see a use sadly .It would be nice to plug ur frnds pen drive and copy something in the move...
Last edited by Lasantha; 2nd May 2012 at 07:22 PM.
3rd May 2012, 01:24 PM |#5  
Member
Flag salem
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
i actually tried it. Nothing happens. Don't waste your money. Your phone will not be able to detect the pen drive.
4th May 2012, 09:12 AM |#6  
Member
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 19
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasantha

If external power needed i dont see a use sadly .It would be nice to plug ur frnds pen drive and copy something in the move...

Well, most people doesn't use flash drives these days, you can always use some online storage like dropbox etc, or email it to you.
The limitation of the system is the fat32, fat32 will not allow any file to be bigger than 4gb in 1 chunk, so you can't copy a whole hd movie out of someone's flash drive. And most flash drive now is 16gb+ and formatted in NTFS out of the box. All 3.5 external hdd is self powered, which makes it possible for you to read it from your device, but the chances of that drive is formatted in fat32 is really slim.

So yea, its a good thing to have but I think think its that usable though.
9th May 2012, 05:58 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Can someone tells me which rom has OTG function?
Thx
1st June 2012, 12:09 PM |#8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
there is a kernel support IS otg

but it's for android 2.2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1097756

i have never seen otg support in any IS gb or ics rom
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
otg incredible s usb
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes