Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,560 Members 52,953 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [ZOOM 2] What ROMs work with MZ616?

Tip us?

parker_dhd
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] [ZOOM 2] What ROMs work with MZ616?

I just got a Xoom 2 MZ616 (WiFi & 3G) and I'm wondering what ROMs are compatible.
I'm going to root using Dan Rosenburg's method, hopefully that works.

I'm looking at trying either ICS 2.0.0 by Team EOS or ICS 4.0.4 AOKP, but I don't understand whether I need a Wingray, Stingray, _cdma or _everest build. Can someone please help?

Vanpeebles
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Nothing will work.

You can root your xoom 2 but it's bootloader is still locked.
So you CANNOT install any roms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanpeebles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

3a4yI7aTiY
Old
Thanks Meter 1
no recovery for xyboard and xoom 2

ezekionokia
Old
(Last edited by ezekionokia; 3rd May 2012 at 12:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 34
I also have a xoom 2 and this is kind of disappointing, not to mention the fact that it shipped with honeycomb.

Brand new device, fresh out of the oven with a deprecated os. Nice move Motorola.
Guess will have to wait it out 'till Motorola ships ICS for xoom 2 in never-ever-land.
[Phones] : Orange SPV C500 (HTC Typhoon), HTC S710, HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Desire SLCD w/ runny rom, Samsung Galaxy S III I9300 w/ stock rom.
[Tablet] : Orange Motorola XOOM 2 MZ616 Eu 16GB,3G currently in use w/ stock rom ICS

joshndroid
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Unfortunately I think from now on I would by devices that already have soaked into the market and have development... Sad to say but we can't rely on manufacturers

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Otterbox case couldn't save the first one from a 3 foot fall out of pocket

lucasarran
Old
Thanks Meter 211
Yeah as they all said, custom ROM's or custom recoveries do not work at all. Maybe one day in the future when Motorola decides to be nice and unlock the bootloader. But for now hang in there with Motorola Honeycomb as its not all that bad.
Phone: RAZR I (Stock Moto)
Tablet: Nexus 7 (AOSP KitKat 4.4)

Intergalacdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke.arran View Post
Yeah as they all said, custom ROM's or custom recoveries do not work at all. Maybe one day in the future when Motorola decides to be nice and unlock the bootloader. But for now hang in there with Motorola Honeycomb as its not all that bad.
It's not all that good either lol...although mine is more bearable now I'm using ADW launcher.

As for the bootloader, there's plenty of debate/shouting/general aggression towards Motorola on the Motorola Xoom 2 forums...surely they can't ignore all these complaints? I'm sure that's what happened with the Experia X10 back in the day.

IG =]
You lost yo data?! Shoulda backed it up, fool!

Current Setup:
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

PARANOIDANDROID 4.0-BETA

Previous ROMs:
Android Revolution HD
EmotionMIUI
monxDIFIED

Previous setup:
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S
[Paranoid Android 2.+] -- [SlimBean 2.2 + Semaphore JB 2.0.0b2s kernel]
[Slim ICS] -- [Tiramisu+ I.C.E.A.G.E. V.1.9.6] -- [WeUI v1.0] -- [Team ICSSGS RC4.2]
[Cyanogenmod 7] --[ Darky's Resurrection Edition v9.2] -- [Stock Froyo] -- [Stock Eclair]

parker_dhd
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I wish I'd researched this before buying. I just took it for granted that I'd be able to root and flash a custom ROM.

Ah well, live and learn and all that I'm very happy with it as-is (rooted w/ADW Launcher) but I eagerly await ICS in some form or other.

Xalies
Old
Thanks Meter 34
What about us who bought the xoom2 through a carrier are we now not only waiting for Motorola to hurry with our ICS but also for the carriers to add their crap too?

Fieser-Kardinal
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalies View Post
What about us who bought the xoom2 through a carrier are we now not only waiting for Motorola to hurry with our ICS but also for the carriers to add their crap too?
That will be the case