XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Recommended Dialer App

Tip us?

Flexmaen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Default Recommended Dialer App

Can anyone tell me a recommended Dialer that works fine with the Chacha keyboard?

I use the SuperOSR rom and the dialer coming with that ROM is really very awkward. First of al it does not do Smart Dialing, so I either have to search in the names or in the numbers - but not in both at the same time.

I tried other dialers but most of them are not made for keyboard phones. So which dialer to use and which options to choose? All in all the stock ROM dialer was not so bad.

Also unlike the chacha stock ROM when i start typing with 0/Sym I get the % but on the main screen it would be more useful if the phone just opens a dialer and starts dialing.

ajeevlal
Old
Thanks Meter 239

DONATE TO ME
DW contacts and phone.... it has smart dialing and with some setting changes you can disable on screen dialer too.
Curr devices - Nexus 5 // HTC ChaCha S-OFF // ASUS TF300T // Minix X7
Old devices - Nexus 4, Acer ICONIA A100, HTC dual touch, ASUS P750, Moto A780, CX-01 TV box

My Work >>>>
-----------------------
[ROM] [4.2.2] [UNOFFICIAL] CyanogenMod 10.1 for ChaCha
[ROM] [S-OFF] ZaSa_4chacha
[GUIDE][S-ON] How to downgrade chacha to lower firmware version

Alex C.
Old
(Last edited by Alex C.; 4th May 2012 at 07:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexmaen View Post
...it would be more useful if the phone just opens a dialer and starts dialing.
This is the standard Android behaviour. What happens on HTC Sense ROMs is something that HTC modified for their phones/applications.

But I can see this behaviour on SuperOSR on my side:

Start typing a number.
A "Dial number" appears below.
It also works with names.

As for the wrong key mappings, check the SuperOSR/CM keymappings thread.

Flexmaen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeevlal View Post
DW contacts and phone.... it has smart dialing and with some setting changes you can disable on screen dialer too.
But it is hard to find the correct options. When typing "ROM" for some reason DW will display search results with E,O,M and D but no R. Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C. View Post
But I can see this behaviour on SuperOSR on my side:

Start typing a number.
A "Dial number" appears below.
It also works with names.
No really here.

When I start typing on the home screen I get into the Google Search wich will display letters only (but search in the contacts).

When I start typing with a zero I'll get the symbols of the symbol screen. Since all Numbers you start from a cell phone start with a zero it would also be finde if you end up in a Dial-Window then.

Alex C.
Old
Thanks Meter 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexmaen View Post
But it is hard to find the correct options. When typing "ROM" for some reason DW will display search results with E,O,M and D but no R. Why??

No really here.

When I start typing on the home screen I get into the Google Search wich will display letters only (but search in the contacts).

When I start typing with a zero I'll get the symbols of the symbol screen. Since all Numbers you start from a cell phone start with a zero it would also be finde if you end up in a Dial-Window then.
Give it a shot with Fn+0. See if that helps. That should open up Google Search but at the same time show a "Dial xxxx" beneath it." like in the screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-1336138028919.png
Views:	140
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1040398   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-1336138044655.png
Views:	109
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	1040399  
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex C. For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Flexmaen
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C. View Post
Give it a shot with Fn+0. See if that helps. That should open up Google Search but at the same time show a "Dial xxxx" beneath it." like in the screenshot attached.
Thanks I now noticed the difference:

You have to press the FN-Key to get that option. But this requires that you have to use your phone with two hands which is not very handy in most situations.

So I'l like to type without the FN-Key, so e.g. if I type "FR" the phone should suggest to either call "Franz" or Dial "63" for example.

Also the sym-key could jump into a dialer window from the homescreen since it does not make sense to enter a "%" there.