MX Player Ready to Rock on Lollipop

A good video player should be reliable and free. One of the XDA Community Apps, MX Player, meets both of … more

How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Recommended Dialer App

OP Flexmaen

4th May 2012, 12:40 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32

174 posts
Can anyone tell me a recommended Dialer that works fine with the Chacha keyboard?

I use the SuperOSR rom and the dialer coming with that ROM is really very awkward. First of al it does not do Smart Dialing, so I either have to search in the names or in the numbers - but not in both at the same time.

I tried other dialers but most of them are not made for keyboard phones. So which dialer to use and which options to choose? All in all the stock ROM dialer was not so bad.

Also unlike the chacha stock ROM when i start typing with 0/Sym I get the % but on the main screen it would be more useful if the phone just opens a dialer and starts dialing.
4th May 2012, 05:07 AM   |  #2  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 255

341 posts
Donate to Me
More
DW contacts and phone.... it has smart dialing and with some setting changes you can disable on screen dialer too.
4th May 2012, 08:31 AM   |  #3  
Flag Bochum
Thanks Meter: 494

1,033 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexmaen

...it would be more useful if the phone just opens a dialer and starts dialing.

This is the standard Android behaviour. What happens on HTC Sense ROMs is something that HTC modified for their phones/applications.

But I can see this behaviour on SuperOSR on my side:

Start typing a number.
A "Dial number" appears below.
It also works with names.

As for the wrong key mappings, check the SuperOSR/CM keymappings thread.
Last edited by Alex C.; 4th May 2012 at 08:34 AM.
4th May 2012, 11:54 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

174 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeevlal

DW contacts and phone.... it has smart dialing and with some setting changes you can disable on screen dialer too.

But it is hard to find the correct options. When typing "ROM" for some reason DW will display search results with E,O,M and D but no R. Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C.

But I can see this behaviour on SuperOSR on my side:

Start typing a number.
A "Dial number" appears below.
It also works with names.

No really here.

When I start typing on the home screen I get into the Google Search wich will display letters only (but search in the contacts).

When I start typing with a zero I'll get the symbols of the symbol screen. Since all Numbers you start from a cell phone start with a zero it would also be finde if you end up in a Dial-Window then.
4th May 2012, 02:29 PM   |  #5  
Flag Bochum
Thanks Meter: 494

1,033 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexmaen

But it is hard to find the correct options. When typing "ROM" for some reason DW will display search results with E,O,M and D but no R. Why??

No really here.

When I start typing on the home screen I get into the Google Search wich will display letters only (but search in the contacts).

When I start typing with a zero I'll get the symbols of the symbol screen. Since all Numbers you start from a cell phone start with a zero it would also be finde if you end up in a Dial-Window then.

Give it a shot with Fn+0. See if that helps. That should open up Google Search but at the same time show a "Dial xxxx" beneath it." like in the screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-1336138028919.png
Views:	144
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1040398   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-1336138044655.png
Views:	110
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	1040399  
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex C. For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2012, 02:49 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

174 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex C.

Give it a shot with Fn+0. See if that helps. That should open up Google Search but at the same time show a "Dial xxxx" beneath it." like in the screenshot attached.

Thanks I now noticed the difference:

You have to press the FN-Key to get that option. But this requires that you have to use your phone with two hands which is not very handy in most situations.

So I'l like to type without the FN-Key, so e.g. if I type "FR" the phone should suggest to either call "Franz" or Dial "63" for example.

Also the sym-key could jump into a dialer window from the homescreen since it does not make sense to enter a "%" there.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread