Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,429 Members 54,904 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Solved] HTC HD2 Touchscreen not working, not responding, frozen, malfunctioning

Tip us?

detroja
Old
(Last edited by detroja; 26th February 2011 at 11:34 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thumbs up [Solved] HTC HD2 Touchscreen not working, not responding, frozen, malfunctioning

The Problem: My HTC HD2 touchscreen has progressively gotten worst over 2 months. At first, the keyboard was typing up wrong alphabets, then major function keys begun to malfunction, and later the whole screen. From XDA reviews, I found that changing Radio, WM, or Android ROM do not help.

Solution:
This instruction may apply to Tmobile USA users. In my search for a Do-It-Yourself fix, I searched internet for several days to no avail. Amazon.com sells Touchscreen and Digitizer but their results were inconsistent; the replacement also required time, skills & instruments that I do not have.

Tmobile: Tmobile (800 number) asked me to restore OS, but it did not work. They asked me to take it in the Tmobile store. The store associate looked at the phone, but they did not want to do anything with the phone as I did not buy my phone from Tmobile - they directed me to HTC or a local repair shop. Local repair shop was going to charge $100 for a repair and turn around time of 15 days.

HTC : I called HTC (888 356 2375). As the phone was still under warranty, they offered to take a look at it & repair it. HTC also mentioned that if the warranty is void for any reason, they would charge $39.00 for a triage fee and call me to confirm the repairing cost (in addition to triage fee). HTC mentioned that any illegal softwares found on the device would void the warranty.

Restore to OEM:
I had to restore my softwares to OEM as I installed a newer radio, HSPL, MAGLDR, and a custom windows ROM. To do so, following ROM was flashed :
RUU_Leo_1_5_TMOUS_2.10.531.0_Radio_Signed_15.34.50 .07U_2.08.50.08_2_Ship

Flashing above ROM restored ORIGINAL OEM radio, SPL, and Windows ROM. It also removed MAGLDR.

After restoring softwares to OEM, I sent the phone in. The repair was done by HTC without any charge. After sending the phone in, I had my phone back in 1 week - fairly quick service compared to all the other options I had at hand.

In the process, HTC kept me informed via email regularly. I talked to several HTC reps and they were very accommodating and courteous. I mentioned to HTC that my battery drains very easily. Promptly (in 2 days), HTC sent me a replacement battery for free. They mentioned that as long as the phone is under warranty, they will replace accessories ONCE for free. I will buy HTC again despite the touchscreen problem.

Immediately after receiving the phone, I installed newest Radio, HSPL, MAGDLR & my first Android NAND [HD2_Core_Droid_Desire_HD_V1.4_NAND_ONLY_LEO1024_TO US]. The android ROM is rocking even harder straight out of box.

Enjoy.

Azerox
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Had the same, perfect service from HTC.

Got it back in a box that said "im back" .. Took 4 weeks though.

This made my decision to stay with HTC in the future.

Bashy29
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation Same problem, possible not yet solved

My UK T-Mobile HD2 started this in December 2010, I found that 3 or 4 hard resets got it going, but the next day it did it again so sent to T-Mobile repair center, they stripped it put it back together. No Fault Found. Updated the firmware (well re-installed it as there was no newer version avaialble at the time and sent it back to me.

It worked a treat for 5 weeks then the problem was back. Sent away again, Firmware update. No Fault Found (T-Mobile had now released the 3.14 ROM) so I did get an update this time, again came back working. Even better this time as the new radio version allowed me to run an SD Android Build.

You know where this is going, lasted 3 or 4 weeks, same again, Back to T-Mobile Store, this time I did not try a hard reset prior to taking it in, so they could see the fault, I did one reset in store and the fault persisted as it always did after the first two or three, and then off to the repair centre again.

Its due back in the next day or two, No Fault Found!!! Firmware updated

I guess it will be going back again a 3 to 5 weeks.

Perhaps I should drop an e-mail to HTC to see if they can help.

Do you know what they did to yours, did they replace anything?

Cheers Bashy...

Azerox
Old
Thanks Meter 34
My display was soo broken that an firmware upgrade didnt help, not even for a second.

On the repair note (0eu) it said that my screen was replaced.

I had the same problems as in the OP.

Running beter then ever now.

detroja
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy29 View Post
My UK T-Mobile HD2 started this in December 2010, I found that 3 or 4 hard resets got it going, but the next day it did it again so sent to T-Mobile repair center, they stripped it put it back together. No Fault Found. Updated the firmware (well re-installed it as there was no newer version avaialble at the time and sent it back to me.

It worked a treat for 5 weeks then the problem was back. Sent away again, Firmware update. No Fault Found (T-Mobile had now released the 3.14 ROM) so I did get an update this time, again came back working. Even better this time as the new radio version allowed me to run an SD Android Build.

You know where this is going, lasted 3 or 4 weeks, same again, Back to T-Mobile Store, this time I did not try a hard reset prior to taking it in, so they could see the fault, I did one reset in store and the fault persisted as it always did after the first two or three, and then off to the repair centre again.

Its due back in the next day or two, No Fault Found!!! Firmware updated

I guess it will be going back again a 3 to 5 weeks.

Perhaps I should drop an e-mail to HTC to see if they can help.

Do you know what they did to yours, did they replace anything?

Cheers Bashy...

No doubt, Tmobile attempts to be helpful. But, I consider HTC, as a manufacturer, to be well-prepared to deal with their own product's issues. If you have these problems repeatedly, I recommend you contact HTC directly. They may send you a new replacement instrument altogether. I had several positive surprises from HTC.
The Following User Says Thank You to detroja For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wakedude
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Exclamation HTC No Longer Repairs HD2

I know this is an old thread, but I have an HD2 with a digitizer that quit working that I wanted fixed. I just called HTC and was told that they have not been able to find a proper way to fix the phone and that they would not be able to repair it even if I paid them. This came from the customer service manager. Both the service rep and I were left without words. He couldn't believe that this was the response as he has never heard of such a thing. HTC has taken the HD2 out of their repair database. Seems pretty sketchy to me. Obviously they know about the problem and it sounds like they should issue a recall on the product if it consistently breaks on people with normal use and they have no way of repairing it.

detroja
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default HD2 screen not working

They fixed mine on Feb 22, 2011 for free under a warranty. I suggest you do not give them the diagnosis of digitizer is not working. Instead, just tell them the problems you have and let them tell you what is wrong with the phone.

If is going to cost an arm and a leg to fix the phone or a 1 month of outage from cellphone, I recommend you get a new phone from Craigslist or eBay. HD2 are dirt cheap now. Good luck.

d34thw4lk3r
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default hd2 is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedude View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I have an HD2 with a digitizer that quit working that I wanted fixed. I just called HTC and was told that they have not been able to find a proper way to fix the phone and that they would not be able to repair it even if I paid them. This came from the customer service manager. Both the service rep and I were left without words. He couldn't believe that this was the response as he has never heard of such a thing. HTC has taken the HD2 out of their repair database. Seems pretty sketchy to me. Obviously they know about the problem and it sounds like they should issue a recall on the product if it consistently breaks on people with normal use and they have no way of repairing it.
Yep - i'm not surprised. I purposely bought the HD2 to get dual boot setup. Lasted two months and then screen stopped responding when screen locked. Eventually could not unlock at all. I stripped the phone, put in new screen and digitiser and new keypad buttons and then flashed back to original rom too.

GUESS WHAT??? STILL BUSTED.

So you can try many fixes found online, but I reckon once it busted don't waste your money just bin it.

SAD

hengsheng120
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedude View Post
From what i've seen too, it is very difficult to actually repair the digitizer without causing new secondary problems. I paid my repair shop over 155 usd to repair an hd2 with usb and touchscreen problems and they just replaced the virtually the entire hd2 (mainboard+LCD+digitizer). And it still had problems in the end!
Current Phone:
HTC First

Others:
SGH-I9100G

HTC HD2 TMOUS
BlackLK 1.5.0.4-build-130412@kotokas
AOKP M5 ICS se+Dorimanx v6.9 HWA
cLK Dual Boot: Hyperdroid 6.0.1 SuperRAM

History: HD2 EU- Artemis WM6.5/AmericanAndroid SD> Typhoon CM7(MAGLDR)> Nexus HD2> Frankenstein Droid Lite 1.2~3(CLK)> CYMLXGO DHD> Typhoon CM7> Dorimanx 2.8~3.1> Exchanged | TMOUK - Dorimanx 3.1.2> Pdaimatejam/AmericanAndroid SD>MyMIUIv10+Dorimanx v6.3

bib*oops
Old
Thanks Meter 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by d34thw4lk3r View Post
Yep - i'm not surprised. I purposely bought the HD2 to get dual boot setup. Lasted two months and then screen stopped responding when screen locked. Eventually could not unlock at all. I stripped the phone, put in new screen and digitiser and new keypad buttons and then flashed back to original rom too.

GUESS WHAT??? STILL BUSTED.

So you can try many fixes found online, but I reckon once it busted don't waste your money just bin it.

SAD
Interested in selling it?
If I've ever helped you, don't miss THANKS button
TG01powered by Cedesmith-retired
TMobile HD2/Leo(sim-free)-powered by TBD
Sensation(sim-free)-powered by Android Revolution
I91000(sim-free)-powered by Siyah
SHV-E120S(sim-free)-powered by davidcsv
A kick in the butts is always a step forward...

Tags
frozen, hd2, responding, touchscreen, working