Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,957 Members 38,564 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Followed video tut for rooting, now i'm lost. What's a ROM, and where do I start?

Tip us?

Beastmode
Old
Thanks Meter 7363

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodensman View Post
Alright. Where can I get them. Ki3?
Lol currently I'm sitting in the theatre about to watch avengers so I'm mobile.....so just look in the dev thread for modems
If you love it then hit thanks or donate button :P
My Work:
Love it or leave it :P
Troll me? Go ahead i don't mind
GPL Compliant right here! haha

Wodensman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmm View Post
Lol currently I'm sitting in the theatre about to watch avengers so I'm mobile.....so just look in the dev thread for modems
Oh man, I envy you. I can't wait to see that!

Alright, after flashing this new modem, i'm starting to look into overclocking. I'm not sure if our phone can play GTA3 lag free.(or close to it) But, I would like to try. I keep seeing stuff about "Tegrak." Would that be benificial to me? I also read something about Antonx's OC/UV kernel, and where would I find that, and would it benefit me? Or should i just keep using the kernel i got with the rom?

Sorry for the Q's. Don't bother answering, Erik, until you've made it back home. And you gotta let me know how the film was! THOOOORRR!!!!!!

Wodensman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
I flash a modem the same way as roms and kernels? Just boot into recovery, install zip?

Wodensman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
New modem solved the problem. Thanks again! now about this overclocking... is it worth it for me to do it?

Wodensman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Just did the quadrant test thing, and my score is 1783. Is that good?

Total: 1783
CPU: 1441
Mem: 1849
I/O: 3402
2D: 338
3D: 1884

The lower the score, the better, or is it the higher, the better?

Wodensman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Can I OC using this guide, following it step by step?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ight=overclock

Is my rom, valblack final, compatible with drhonks bali 3.0, or 3.1? How do I find niche info like this without bugging the wise folks here? I try search a lot, but it's hard. Try it yourself sometime, it's not as easy as the veterans here think. Some things are, but other stuff is still really hard to find. I've been reading thread after thread, after thread since I joined. I love it. I think i'm finally going to get the xda app.

eollie
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 766
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1610528
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=136

Those two posts will get you setup with a stable kernel and oc/uv settings.
The Following User Says Thank You to eollie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Juls317
Old
Thanks Meter 250
Quote:
Alright. Where can I get them. Ki3?
Nevermind

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

My Contributions: My Guide on Flashing and Fixing Your SGS4G

Phone: Sprint LG G2
ROM: Nameless 4.4.2 thanks to the nameless team

Phone: Sprint Galaxy SIII(Retired)
ROM: SlimKat thanks to the Slim team

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 4G(Retired)
ROM: SlimBean thanks to Team Kick Ass

Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)
ROM: PA 4.1-Beta thanks to the PA Team

Tablet: Kindle Fire(Retired)
ROM: Jandycane

Wodensman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls317 View Post
Nevermind

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
Yeah, sorry. I got it and it's all done. It did exactly what I needed.

However, Looking through the two links above, and having been reading this forum for the past 3 hours on overclocking... i'm more confused than when I began. I will lose features by flashing that kernel, but it will let me oc? Then i just use setCPU?
Will overclocking to 1.3 show a noticible improvement in gfx-intensive games, like gta3? I already have chainfire3d, with all plugins, and that helped a little. Still not perfect, and that's why i'm looking to oc.

From what I read, you oc, and make your battery life longer at the same time? Isn't that opposite of what's supposed to happen?

Wodensman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Yeah, sorry. I got it and it's all done. It did exactly what I needed.

However, Looking through the two links above, and having been reading this forum for the past 3 hours on overclocking... i'm more confused than when I began. I will lose features by flashing that kernel, but it will let me oc? Then i just use setCPU?
Will overclocking to 1.3 show a noticible improvement in gfx-intensive games, like gta3? I already have chainfire3d, with all plugins, and that helped a little. Still not perfect, and that's why i'm looking to oc.

From what I read, you oc, and make your battery life longer at the same time? Isn't that opposite of what's supposed to happen?
Is that guide the most most recommended way to OC with my set-up? will that kernel remove features I already have?