Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,962 Members 39,372 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ques re: MHL adapter

Tip us?

KT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Question Ques re: MHL adapter

Hi all...

So I have a 3 part question -

a) Will any MHL adapter work with the HTC One S or do I have to wait for them to release one specific to this device?

b) Does the phone need to be rooter for the device to throw image onto a TV screen?

c) Assuming any MHL will work, does anybody have any recommendations on which are the good ones? Is it like HDMI cables where the build and quality of product matters and potentially could be a bottleneck or they're all the same? Links are welcome.

Thank you!

suhailtheboss
Old
(Last edited by suhailtheboss; 7th May 2012 at 06:42 AM.) Reason: Wrong info.
Thanks Meter 75
MHL does not work on our devices.unfortunately. HTC is releasing a wireless solution soon but from what I've seen its a ridiculous battery hog and its going to.be around

Edit - Sorry for the false information! The HTC representative had told me that there was no MHL capabilities of this device. I assumed he was knowlefavle and didn't think to try it out myself. Seems to definitely work, I have the same MHL adapter someone pictured from expansys later in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to suhailtheboss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhailtheboss View Post
MHL does not work on our devices.unfortunately. HTC is releasing a wireless solution soon but from what I've seen its a ridiculous battery hog and its going to.be around 80USD
Thanks for letting me know... Saved me $15 coz I was almost sure MHL would work give it's still microUSB port and was gonna buy on Amazon.

That's a shame.. Hope they come up with a solution soon... I'd love to be able to play temple run on my flat screen

Terminator19
Old
Thanks Meter 245
This supposedly works with the one S..............

http://www.expansys.com/expansys-mhl...-black-218572/

I should be getting mine tomorrow hopefully and will post a video and thoughts on it in a few days time.

KT
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator19 View Post
This supposedly works with the one S..............

http://www.expansys.com/expansys-mhl...-black-218572/

I should be getting mine tomorrow hopefully and will post a video and thoughts on it in a few days time.
Thanks! Look forward to hearing your results...

Terminator19
Old
Thanks Meter 245
Well it didn't arrive today either

If it doesn't arrive tomorrow, I should definitely get it on Monday then..........

DownloaderZ
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator19 View Post
Well it didn't arrive today either

If it doesn't arrive tomorrow, I should definitely get it on Monday then..........
in for results
1) HTC HOS TMOUS

2)Phone: Google Nexus One T-MO
ROM: Evervolv-Perdo-2.1.0p13
Kernel: Tiamat_Mahimahi-v031412
Recovery: RA-passion-v2.2.1
Partition: Blackrose System 220MB Cache 16MB Data 200MB (old layout)

dc211
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT View Post
Hi all...

So I have a 3 part question -

a) Will any MHL adapter work with the HTC One S or do I have to wait for them to release one specific to this device?

b) Does the phone need to be rooter for the device to throw image onto a TV screen?

c) Assuming any MHL will work, does anybody have any recommendations on which are the good ones? Is it like HDMI cables where the build and quality of product matters and potentially could be a bottleneck or they're all the same? Links are welcome.

Thank you!
I have an MHL adapter so I can answer your question.

a) Yes any MHL adapter will work on our phone. It's a spec like usb and they are pretty much interchanable.

b) No the phone doesn't need to be rooted. HDMI/mhl mirroring is a feature included by HTC with the stock rom. The phone auto detects when an MHL devices is connected and begins to mirror the phone.

c) Here is the one I bought. http://www.amazon.com/Menotek-Adapte...6154297&sr=8-1

Also, while it's pretty cool to do the phone to TV thing. It drains the battery super quickly. It's something like 1% of power every 2 minutes maybe faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dc211 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GumboChief
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc211 View Post
It drains the battery super quickly. It's something like 1% of power every 2 minutes maybe faster.
You are meant to plug the adapter into a power outlet.

dc211
Old
Thanks Meter 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumboChief View Post
You are meant to plug the adapter into a power outlet.
That's why I was shocked, it did have the power plugged in. It actually doesn't even work if the power isn't plugged it

Tags
htc, mhl adapter, one s