FORUMS

[FTF] Sony Xperia Z Lollipop Release

Sony rolled out a Lollipop update for Xperia Z just yesterday. If you still haven’t gotten … more

Original Moto G Receives Lollipop, OTA Captured

The original Moto G was released almost two years ago. Motorola still continues to … more

Device Review: No.1 X1 Rugged Smartphone

We are almost at the end of Q2 for 2015, and we have seen most of the flagship phones for the … more

When a Friend or Family Member Asks for a Phone Recommendation, What Do You Tell Them?

The majority of us here at XDA would consider … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] [HELP] Steps towards becoming a recognized developer

5th May 2012, 03:14 PM |#1  
-x]Trunks[x-'s Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 26
 
More
So I've done some minor things in the past but now that I have the Evo 3D all these great roms are inspiring me to take my knowledge of the android further.

when you were on the road to being a developer did you start of with mods/tweaks, themes, apps, screwing around with the contents of the rom, building/editing kernels, etc etc?

I really want to get serious about this
 
 
5th May 2012, 03:19 PM |#2  
yousefak's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks Meter: 850
 
More
Well if you want to be a developer...

First learn C++, C, then Java. Learn about the Android/linux system structure etc. etc.

From then on I assume it's just practice and editing. Maybe getting into mods/tweaks, and then actually building kernels/roms...
Last edited by yousefak; 5th May 2012 at 03:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to yousefak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2012, 03:27 PM |#3  
SoraX64's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Frederick, Maryland (Hood College)
Thanks Meter: 637
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefak

Well if you want to be a developer...

First learn C++, C, then Java. Learn about the Android/linux system structure etc. etc.

From then on I assume it's just practice and editing. Maybe getting into mods/tweaks, and then actually building kernels/roms...

I already know Java, do you think I should learn C++ anyway?

Sent from my EVO 3D S using xda premium
5th May 2012, 03:31 PM |#4  
yousefak's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks Meter: 850
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraX64

I already know Java, do you think I should learn C++ anyway?

Sent from my EVO 3D S using xda premium

If you're developing apps, all you need to know is Java.

If you want to do kernel things (not sure about ROM) then you'll def need to know C. (i dont think c++ is used in the kernels but it's nice to know anyway)
5th May 2012, 04:21 PM |#5  
SoraX64's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Frederick, Maryland (Hood College)
Thanks Meter: 637
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefak

If you're developing apps, all you need to know is Java.

If you want to do kernel things (not sure about ROM) then you'll def need to know C. (i dont think c++ is used in the kernels but it's nice to know anyway)

I'm going to have to learn C++ sooner or later anyway. I've wanted to try my hand at app development but I haven't found the time or the inspiration. I just don't know what's worth making.
5th May 2012, 04:30 PM |#6  
Vinchenzop's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Flag Hermitage, PA
Thanks Meter: 9,684
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by -x]Trunks[x-

So I've done some minor things in the past but now that I have the Evo 3D all these great roms are inspiring me to take my knowledge of the android further.

when you were on the road to being a developer did you start of with mods/tweaks, themes, apps, screwing around with the contents of the rom, building/editing kernels, etc etc?

I really want to get serious about this

Start with whatever is OUT of your comfort zone, so you're not just reinforcing what you already know. It will expand your general knowledge and increase niches where you and your efforts can be applied.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinchenzop For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th May 2012, 04:55 PM |#7  
yousefak's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks Meter: 850
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchenzop

Start with whatever is OUT of your comfort zone, so you're not just reinforcing what you already know. It will expand your general knowledge and increase niches where you and your efforts can be applied.

^^ some really good advice for almost everything software/computer related
The Following User Says Thank You to yousefak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes