Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,000 Members 47,618 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] General questions about significance of heat, battery, sense reloading issues

Tip us?

AXIS of Reality
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Question [Q] General questions about significance of heat, battery, sense reloading issues

Hi guys,

I've been waiting for the SGSIII announcement before deciding on a new phone, and am currently torn between them. I've been reading a lot of the threads here, but naturally for some of the potential issue people are more likely to post if they've actually experienced it so it's hard to tell how significant it is.

BACKGROUND: I first had an HTC Hero and LOVED sense. Then I moved to an original Galaxy S because I love AMOLED screens (I don't care about colour accuracy, I love extreme saturation and contrast). I then moved to the SGS II last year.

However, I have always hated Touchwiz and themed and rommed the heck out of it to look more like stock ICS. I've always looked back at Sense with envy though.

So the following questions are the major things holding my back from a One X:

1) Is heat an issue? My SGS II would get hot on the front with web browsing on max brightness after a while and playing games, and I have the new iPad that gets very toasty, but I wouldn't want anything that can actually be concerning or affect my usage (eg: the need to stop playing games for a while or adjust screen brightness). Also does it warm up when doing non-game tasks like web browsing or general non-game apps?

2) I always use my phone on max brightness, how much screen-on time could I expect on a single charge? Is anyone coming from an SGS II able to comment on if the battery life feels longer or shorter than the SGSII?

3) I've heard a few people complaining of it and experienced it on an in-store demo One X, so how often does Sense like to spend a few seconds reloading after exiting an app? Is it frequent or a rarity?

4) While I'm aware that some One X have creaking / shifting glass at the top edge (an in-store demo model I tried had it), has anyone had it develop over time or should you be able to know out of the box if you have a dud?

5) Does the white model pick up marks / discolouration from sitting in pockets without a case?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.
HTC Hero -> Samsung Galaxy S -> Samsung Galaxy S II -> Samsung Galaxy S III -> Samsung Galaxy Note II -> Samsung Galaxy S4 i9505 -> HTC One M8

Nitin985
Old
Thanks Meter 123

DONATE TO ME
1)no
2) not long
3)barely ever
4)duno not had it yet
5)picks up marks but can be easily removed

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
Phone:HTC one x
Rom:Stock Jelly bean
BEST PHONE EVER

Phone: HTC desire S-OFF
Rom: ICS

twitter: @nitin985
please press thanks if i have helped you

chuck norris has an android phone !!!!

ArmedandDangerous
Old
Thanks Meter 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXIS of Reality View Post
Hi guys,

I've been waiting for the SGSIII announcement before deciding on a new phone, and am currently torn between them. I've been reading a lot of the threads here, but naturally for some of the potential issue people are more likely to post if they've actually experienced it so it's hard to tell how significant it is.

BACKGROUND: I first had an HTC Hero and LOVED sense. Then I moved to an original Galaxy S because I love AMOLED screens (I don't care about colour accuracy, I love extreme saturation and contrast). I then moved to the SGS II last year.

However, I have always hated Touchwiz and themed and rommed the heck out of it to look more like stock ICS. I've always looked back at Sense with envy though.

So the following questions are the major things holding my back from a One X:

1) Is heat an issue? My SGS II would get hot on the front with web browsing on max brightness after a while and playing games, and I have the new iPad that gets very toasty, but I wouldn't want anything that can actually be concerning or affect my usage (eg: the need to stop playing games for a while or adjust screen brightness). Also does it warm up when doing non-game tasks like web browsing or general non-game apps?

2) I always use my phone on max brightness, how much screen-on time could I expect on a single charge? Is anyone coming from an SGS II able to comment on if the battery life feels longer or shorter than the SGSII?

3) I've heard a few people complaining of it and experienced it on an in-store demo One X, so how often does Sense like to spend a few seconds reloading after exiting an app? Is it frequent or a rarity?

4) While I'm aware that some One X have creaking / shifting glass at the top edge (an in-store demo model I tried had it), has anyone had it develop over time or should you be able to know out of the box if you have a dud?

5) Does the white model pick up marks / discolouration from sitting in pockets without a case?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.
1. Heat isn't an issue unless you live in a particularly hot place. Think 36+ celcius room temp.

2. Max brightness on the HOX can really blind you. It's stupidly bright and even at 30% brightness is very very visible. I just leave the auto brightness on, it's been working very well I get an average of 3.5 hours screen time with 3g always on, and playing graphically intensive games.

3. Sense only reloads if the app you're using uses more than the system has free. So it clears Sense from RAM since it's not being used right that moment for the app you ARE using at that moment. Some ROMS have an option to keep it in RAM, which eliminates the restarts.

4. I received a good copy, and have no experience with any physical defects other than a slight yellow tint at the bottom, hardly noticeable unless you're looking for it.

5. Scuff marks would probably be hidden better on the white one, but regular wear and tear dirt would probably make the white a ....brown xD
HTC Desire Z (G2) @ meXdroidROM Ghost Chili AIO <3
HTC One X (endeavoru) @ VenomX 3.7.0 @ XMister #296
HTC One (M7) @ S-Off, Unlocked with revone, Stock rooted, ElementalX 0.11

JamesBarnes
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Heat has been a huge issue for me.

I have 2 HOXs, both UK T-Mob. Both get terribly hot.

Playing games whilst charging causes it to overheat (battery temps in excess of 55*c, uncomfortably hot to the touch).

I also use it as a wifi hotspot (again whilst charging) and it stays quite warm.

The other day I was on the phone, using it as a hotspot and charging it simultaneously it got VERY hot, to the point I couldn't comfortably hold it to my face. I happened to be topless at the time and absent misguidedly placed it on my stomach, camera side down. That physically hurt, the camera ring was painfully hot.

(To preempt any "well don't do that then" comments, none of my usage is at all unusual. My old handset (Desire HD) could manage that fine. The overheating is poor design)

These temperatures are unacceptable in my opinion, but there's not a lot to be done about it I'm afraid! At the end of the day, I still think the HOX is the best handset on the market currently, I'm not a fan of the galaxy (aesthetics + AMOLED is grainy).

The phone doesn't seem to have suffered any actual damage from the extreme heat by the way.

My honest advice is to wait. Every handset that I have purchased on launch day (Xperia x10, DHD, HOX) has had MASSIVE teething troubles amongst its user base.

The HOX will probably improve, buy one in a few months, or go for one of the other phones that may be out by then!

Above all, buy from a reputable retailer with a great customer service record (Amazon would be a good choice IMO).

Regards