OnePlus Indian Ban Lifted, Android One Expanding – XDA TV

Android 5.0.1 Lollipop is available for the Nvidia SHIELD Tablet! That and … more

Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

a100 and windows 8

OP terryok

5th May 2012, 02:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
will this be possible eventually when fully realeased ??
5th May 2012, 08:01 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 32

323 posts
More
whaaaaa? windows 8 on the a100 or being able to use mtp/mass storage with windows 8? if its the first i want to say HA good luck with that be easier to compile ubuntu 12 arm compared to any windows os. If its the second well i have no clue.

Personally if i was gonna put windows 8 on a acer tablet i'd done it with the w500 which runs windows7 natively an has a keyboard dock (that will never mount right to a a100/a500 because its a normal usb port on the bottom of the w500 >.>)
6th May 2012, 03:28 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 538

2,663 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryok

will this be possible eventually when fully realeased ??

No, not possible. No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets; guaranteed.
6th May 2012, 06:42 PM   |  #4  
Flag Kalifornia
Thanks Meter: 84

188 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingFatMan

No, not possible. No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets; guaranteed.

If you are speaking the Acer A100 tablet ONLY I would say yep you are correct. However you are saying "No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets" which is false. Yes you will be able to have an ARM device with Windows 8 and Android in a dual boot. Windows 8 is being writen for both x86 and ARM and manufacturers like Asus have already talked about releasing a dual boot.
6th May 2012, 07:01 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 538

2,663 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSudo

If you are speaking the Acer A100 tablet ONLY I would say yep you are correct. However you are saying "No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets" which is false. Yes you will be able to have an ARM device with Windows 8 and Android in a dual boot. Windows 8 is being writen for both x86 and ARM and manufacturers like Asus have already talked about releasing a dual boot.

Microsoft just aren't going to allow that... They have VERY strict requirements for the ARM version of Windows 8, one of which is a tightly locked and sealed bootloader and NO dual booting capability.

Plus, no existing tablets on the market meet the spec requirements for resolution or available RAM.
6th May 2012, 07:09 PM   |  #6  
Flag Kalifornia
Thanks Meter: 84

188 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingFatMan

Microsoft just aren't going to allow that... They have VERY strict requirements for the ARM version of Windows 8, one of which is a tightly locked and sealed bootloader and NO dual booting capability.

Plus, no existing tablets on the market meet the spec requirements for resolution or available RAM.

Thanks, and my previous point still stands true. You are too vague most of the time in your responses and it leads to miss informed people. It also causes you to give responses that may have some validity, but are wrong because you don't properly address what you wish to point out.
6th May 2012, 09:41 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 32

323 posts
More
I agree with you there is actually news about ARM based tablets having to have a secured boot loader by the manufacture no if ans or butts if its a intel/amd based machine the secure boot is optional.

Hope nobody minds but here is a link on some info on that http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...arm-hardware/1
6th December 2012, 03:54 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

30 posts
More
Hi,

Still no solution to install W8 on A100?

Tnks
6th December 2012, 06:50 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Surprise, Az
Thanks Meter: 3,652

4,568 posts
Donate to Me
More
I wont say it'll never happen, I'll say its extremely unlikely, for a few reasons i can see.

Devs needed to work on getting w8 working on a tegra2 anything, let alone an a100

W8 itself being modified to run on the a100 specifically, there is next to no dev support for this device for android let alone another os.

Did I mention devs needed to do this stuff?

IMO i wouldn't wait on this, its extremely unrealistic to expect. But I could be wrong, it happens quite often.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
19th December 2012, 05:08 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 73

298 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben13

Hi,

Still no solution to install W8 on A100?

Tnks

The Surface is held back even by Tegra 3, so I don't think its possible. And this tablet just doesn't have enough dev support.

Sent from my A100 using xda app-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread