XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

a100 and windows 8

Tip us?

terryok
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default a100 and windows 8

will this be possible eventually when fully realeased ??

pintek
Old
Thanks Meter 31
whaaaaa? windows 8 on the a100 or being able to use mtp/mass storage with windows 8? if its the first i want to say HA good luck with that be easier to compile ubuntu 12 arm compared to any windows os. If its the second well i have no clue.

Personally if i was gonna put windows 8 on a acer tablet i'd done it with the w500 which runs windows7 natively an has a keyboard dock (that will never mount right to a a100/a500 because its a normal usb port on the bottom of the w500 >.>)
--------
Devices
-[Nexus 4 cm10.1 nightlies
-[SE X10miniPro MiniCM7.2 naa
-[Samsung Sidekick 4g RubiX Xcel v1.006
-[Note 8] CivZ-FLEX-BEAM 4.2.2

FloatingFatMan
Old
Thanks Meter 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryok View Post
will this be possible eventually when fully realeased ??
No, not possible. No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets; guaranteed.
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100), Acer Iconia Tab A511
Past Devices (too many to list, mostly Acers!)

NoSudo
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingFatMan View Post
No, not possible. No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets; guaranteed.
If you are speaking the Acer A100 tablet ONLY I would say yep you are correct. However you are saying "No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets" which is false. Yes you will be able to have an ARM device with Windows 8 and Android in a dual boot. Windows 8 is being writen for both x86 and ARM and manufacturers like Asus have already talked about releasing a dual boot.
Tablet: Acer Iconia A100 unlocked cwm FlexReaper ROM and Hulu enabled

Need help figuring out how to customize your Acer A100/101? Look here for Help

Author of Flashex 2.05 (Enables watching Hulu and others in browser by hex-editing libflashplayer.so file from AND back to WIN, then copies it back to Abobe Flash and checks Adobe Flash for updates, and will re-edit libflashplayer.so when a new version is detected. Compatible with ANY Flash version and any device that can run it )

FloatingFatMan
Old
Thanks Meter 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSudo View Post
If you are speaking the Acer A100 tablet ONLY I would say yep you are correct. However you are saying "No one will be installing W8 on their Android tablets" which is false. Yes you will be able to have an ARM device with Windows 8 and Android in a dual boot. Windows 8 is being writen for both x86 and ARM and manufacturers like Asus have already talked about releasing a dual boot.
Microsoft just aren't going to allow that... They have VERY strict requirements for the ARM version of Windows 8, one of which is a tightly locked and sealed bootloader and NO dual booting capability.

Plus, no existing tablets on the market meet the spec requirements for resolution or available RAM.
Current Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100), Acer Iconia Tab A511
Past Devices (too many to list, mostly Acers!)

NoSudo
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingFatMan View Post
Microsoft just aren't going to allow that... They have VERY strict requirements for the ARM version of Windows 8, one of which is a tightly locked and sealed bootloader and NO dual booting capability.

Plus, no existing tablets on the market meet the spec requirements for resolution or available RAM.
Thanks, and my previous point still stands true. You are too vague most of the time in your responses and it leads to miss informed people. It also causes you to give responses that may have some validity, but are wrong because you don't properly address what you wish to point out.
Tablet: Acer Iconia A100 unlocked cwm FlexReaper ROM and Hulu enabled

Need help figuring out how to customize your Acer A100/101? Look here for Help

Author of Flashex 2.05 (Enables watching Hulu and others in browser by hex-editing libflashplayer.so file from AND back to WIN, then copies it back to Abobe Flash and checks Adobe Flash for updates, and will re-edit libflashplayer.so when a new version is detected. Compatible with ANY Flash version and any device that can run it )

pintek
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I agree with you there is actually news about ARM based tablets having to have a secured boot loader by the manufacture no if ans or butts if its a intel/amd based machine the secure boot is optional.

Hope nobody minds but here is a link on some info on that http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...arm-hardware/1
--------
Devices
-[Nexus 4 cm10.1 nightlies
-[SE X10miniPro MiniCM7.2 naa
-[Samsung Sidekick 4g RubiX Xcel v1.006
-[Note 8] CivZ-FLEX-BEAM 4.2.2

Ruben13
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

Still no solution to install W8 on A100?

Tnks

pio_masaki
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3474

DONATE TO ME
I wont say it'll never happen, I'll say its extremely unlikely, for a few reasons i can see.

Devs needed to work on getting w8 working on a tegra2 anything, let alone an a100

W8 itself being modified to run on the a100 specifically, there is next to no dev support for this device for android let alone another os.

Did I mention devs needed to do this stuff?

IMO i wouldn't wait on this, its extremely unrealistic to expect. But I could be wrong, it happens quite often.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
A100
Guide: All things Iconia A100 | Jellytime Sosei | Carbon
Droid DNA
PAC-Man | Carbon | ReVolt | Chameleon OS | MoKee OS | IOAP
VZW LG G2
ReVolt | Carbon | IOAP
TF300T
Carbon
Nexus 7
Carbon
Thank you to those that donated, it's greatly appreciated!

plznote
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben13 View Post
Hi,

Still no solution to install W8 on A100?

Tnks
The Surface is held back even by Tegra 3, so I don't think its possible. And this tablet just doesn't have enough dev support.

Sent from my A100 using xda app-developers app