Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,500 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] A few questions regarding the s-off method for Vivid

Tip us?

sugarshock
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] A few questions regarding the s-off method for Vivid

Right now I'm following the excellent guide on this forum to root my vivid.So far I my bootloader is unlocked and I'm on s-off part. The guide links me to another forum that says I need to use insulated wire to touch two certain points while running a program. It says the wire has to be a certain gauge and has a video to demonstrate the process. I have run into two problems, however.

The video that is linked has no sound. I don't know if this is a glitch or an act of YouTube or just how the video is. I'm afraid to attempt this knowing I could be missing some important info.
My second issue is that he never actually says what gauge is needed for wire. I take it this is Tue kind of thing I can get at best buy, right?

Marshmellow92
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshock View Post
Right now I'm following the excellent guide on this forum to root my vivid.So far I my bootloader is unlocked and I'm on s-off part. The guide links me to another forum that says I need to use insulated wire to touch two certain points while running a program. It says the wire has to be a certain gauge and has a video to demonstrate the process. I have run into two problems, however.

The video that is linked has no sound. I don't know if this is a glitch or an act of YouTube or just how the video is. I'm afraid to attempt this knowing I could be missing some important info.
My second issue is that he never actually says what gauge is needed for wire. I take it this is Tue kind of thing I can get at best buy, right?
The video is like that it is meant for you to visually follow the instructions. You have to just do everything the instructions tell you. And the video watch it like 2 times.

Also when doing the wire trick you need to make sure an SD card that is already formatted for your phone is inserted

Ppl think you are supposed to touch o e end to the first little dot then the other end once to the little piece of metal on top of the SD card. But its 1 end to the first part hold it and the other end you need to touch it once for a second then again for another second and it should work... If it doesn't work and you get something like soft failed with other text before it then that means you just didn't do the wire trick correctly... Just do it again it might take you many tries before you achieve s off...

Hope this was help full
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

sugarshock
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
wow, I'm glad I asked here before trying or I probably would never get it right. another question. I just bought an SD card and popped it in. How do I make sure its formatted for my phone? Just delete everything on it or is it ready to go?
Thanks for the help!

Marshmellow92
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
wow, I'm glad I asked here before trying or I probably would never get it right. another question. I just bought an SD card and popped it in. How do I make sure its formatted for my phone? Just delete everything on it or is it ready to go?
Thanks for the help!
Try to plug in your phone to the computer and turn on USB storage and if the SD card pops up then it works but I think when you do turn on USB storage it will ask you to format and before this just check I your phones storage see if it shows up there

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using XDA

sugarshock
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
cool. What about the gauge. Does it have to be really small or is it specific? Is insulated wire any kind of wire that has a plastic cover? I have some spare wire from when I hooked up my surround sound system, I wanna make sure its Tue right kind. sorry for so many questions, I just wanna make sure I don't brick my phone. I really love this thing!

Youssarian
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
cool. What about the gauge. Does it have to be really small or is it specific? Is insulated wire any kind of wire that has a plastic cover? I have some spare wire from when I hooked up my surround sound system, I wanna make sure its Tue right kind. sorry for so many questions, I just wanna make sure I don't brick my phone. I really love this thing!
I used a trash bag wire tie and it worked perfectly on the second attempt. I just peeled back just enough paper on the two sides of the metal tie. Some come with a kind of glue that you can pull off your with your nails. Look at the video carefully and watch the pace he touches the ground terminal with and try to replicate that. The first time I pushed just a little too hard to the 1st little pin and the wire bent. I placed it close to me on a table, where I could lean on and keep the phone from moving while doing it. Easy really, just don't drink a lot of coffee before hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Youssarian For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Aus_Azn
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Quote:
Does not matter at all. I did it with an uninsulated paperclip; I've heard of people doing it with twist-ties.
Goodbye XDA, you won't be missed. Never have I seen a lousier Android community unwilling to take care of its devs.

Also, give me a refund for my XDA Premium app.

sugarshock
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
ARGH! Ok, so I downloaded the program and got the wire ready, but when I try to run controlbear.exe as admin, it says no root detected and forces me to exit! If I'm supposed to do this AFTER I root, why does the superguide tell me to do it BEFORE I root?

Am I missing something?

slapshot30
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
ARGH! Ok, so I downloaded the program and got the wire ready, but when I try to run controlbear.exe as admin, it says no root detected and forces me to exit! If I'm supposed to do this AFTER I root, why does the superguide tell me to do it BEFORE I root?

Am I missing something?
Kind of. I'll break it down into simple steps for you on how it's written in the superguide.

- Bootloader unlock (not rooted)
- flash WCXrecovery (roots the phone)
- S OFF
- Update HBOOT
- flash WCXrecovery once again

The superguide does tell you to do s off AFTER root.
HTC VIVID SUPERGUIDE

BOOTLOADER UNLOCK, PERM ROOT, CWM, FLASHING ROMS/KERNELS, APN SETTINGS, REVERT TO STOCK

sugarshock
Old
(Last edited by sugarshock; 6th May 2012 at 07:50 AM.) Reason: added info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
You are talking about the command "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.img" right?

I did do that before running the program. I've tried it twice with the same results.
When I enter the command, it says it worked but something must be wrong.

EDIT

Tried a third time, still no luck. Here is a step by step of what I'm doing:
1. Power off phone and get in to fastboot. Connect to pc and in cmd I enter fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.img, the command is executed successfully.
2.Right click ControlBear.exe and run as Admin.
3. Program auto-reboots my phone. When it's fully rebooted it says something like:
Backing up.....
No root detected in backup!
Secondary backup FAILED!!
press ENTER to exit.......