Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 41,917 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

DIY modular mounting system

Tip us?

Cptnodegard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179
Default DIY modular mounting system

Been working on a modular mounting system for my 7.0 Plus. The basis was a headrest PMP holder I had, which I've modified in several ways.

The bottom has a connection system to connect a Wii Classic Pro controller for gaming - a bit top heavy and you need to have the main Wiimote dangling somewhere, but really not bad. This part is a plastic mounting clip glued to the controller with hot glue (colored, black). It has been reinforced with a system of metal rods to increase rigidity.

The top has a clip-on thing from a bag strap, where the matching piece is on a portable speaker. Not really happy about the 7.0 Plus' volume, so this is a nice snap-on for situations where I don't want to use headphones, like watching videos in bed. Again, black hot glue.

The back has a tripod mounting screw which is reinforced by a metal plate and held in place by, you guessed it, black hot glue. Right now I use it with a ripoff SLR gorillapod for hands-free watching in bed. Later I will be making a suction cup system that screws on to the same tripod point.

All pieces can be used together, although I'm not planning on doing so. It will mostly be tripod + speaker and gamepad alone

theundeadelvis
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Looks cool! How well is it weighted?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

Cptnodegard
Old
(Last edited by Cptnodegard; 24th December 2011 at 10:57 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179
Not 100% sure what you mean. With only the controller attached it's naturally rather top-heavy, but not worse than that I can use it as a hand-held gaming system. With a tripod it depends on the tripod - the good thing about the gorillapod design is that you can bend the legs to counter any imbalance. I've used that tripod in bed where I've been lying on my side and propped the 7.0 Plus up on its side by using two of the tripod legs on the bed itself and the last one against the wall to sort of lean the whole setup against the wall. Quite flexible that way.

The whole point here is to create a system that isn't tied down to a single setup. I already mentioned a suction cup mount, and another idea I have is for an extendable flexible arm mount to hold it. Thinking of using http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stainle...l-camera-42504 for the arm bit and then perhaps tie that in with another tripod mount solution on the other end in order to mount it on a large tripod.

Edit: found this which should be directly compatible with no further hot gluing: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/univers...r-camera-37975

theundeadelvis
Old
Thanks Meter 18
That answers my questions. I was mainly curious if it puts much stress on your wrists when you hold it upright by the controller.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

Cptnodegard
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 179
More camera tripod screw accessories arrived.

My version of the Smasung Smart Fridge:

And hopefully Juff Dunham won't sue over my absolutely not patented Galaxy Tab on a stiiiiiiick:

likenota
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Lol a TV mount for a fridge are you kidding me? Lol i would love to meet some of you fellows.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2