Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,095 Members 40,791 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can I use a USB wifi adapter in my Xoom? if anyone knows a better way tell me please

Tip us?

SilverCola
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Can I use a USB wifi adapter in my Xoom? if anyone knows a better way tell me please

I want to know if I can use a wireless adapter or booster or maybe something I am unaware of to better my range of wifi so I can use wifi from far. Basically at work only half the building has wifi from a hot spot. if there is a device that I could plug into my Xoom or app or whatever it is that would be able to detect wifi from far and be able to use it that would be great. I know the Xoom already has wifi card but I would like a stronger one

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium HD app

Draxin
Old
Thanks Meter 97
You would probably be better off with a better wifi router at work, or a wifi booster antenna. Your xoom has to be in range of a wifi signal, it can't pull one

d3athsd00r
Old
Thanks Meter 279
I believe a combination of the Alfa AWUS036H adapter, the Xoom microUSB "camera kit" (male micro USB to female USB), a TeamEOS ROM, and the development overlay with the additional modules should work.

However, I may be mistaken, if someone wants to correct me.

That wireless adapter also allows for packet injection, if you know what that is.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

bigrushdog
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6011

DONATE TO ME
The problem is you need a supplicant to manage connections more complex than wep. The Android supplicant is hard coded to work on wlan0 using the netlink control stack, which none of the dongles use.