[Q] SIM Error / Network Unavailable, but I get voicemail notification. Confused

Search This thread

liquidburns

Jan 17, 2011
Hello guys. I bought a used dell streak which worked before I flashed streakdroid 2.4.4. I flashed the amss and dsp1 and everything matches when I check the phone information. I tried searching for mobile networks and AT&T appears but when I select it, it says "unable to connect to network please try again later" or "unable to register". Whats confusing is that I get a voicemail notification letting me know I have voicemail but when I click on it, I get "mobile network unavailable"

I rarely ask questions because when I'm stuck on something it is usually a simple fix. I've flashed every custom rom and matching baseband on the front page of the android development section and the Official PKG (351, 353, 206). I've done multiple system wipes etc. Im not sure what else I need to do. I've never worked on a phone for more than 4 hours and Im currently on my 11th on this damn dell streak

So is there a way to find out what region this dell streak came from to make this process easier, I dont want to have to try flashing every single update.pkg and baseband.

Or is there a general solution to this issue hidden in the archives of the internet?
Im soooo confused so any help would be greatly appreciated

graemeg

Dec 16, 2011
Dumfries and Galoway
Hello guys. I bought a used dell streak which worked before I flashed streakdroid 2.4.4. I flashed the amss and dsp1 and everything matches when I check the phone information. I tried searching for mobile networks and AT&T appears but when I select it, it says "unable to connect to network please try again later" or "unable to register". Whats confusing is that I get a voicemail notification letting me know I have voicemail but when I click on it, I get "mobile network unavailable"

I rarely ask questions because when I'm stuck on something it is usually a simple fix. I've flashed every custom rom and matching baseband on the front page of the android development section and the Official PKG (351, 353, 206). I've done multiple system wipes etc. Im not sure what else I need to do. I've never worked on a phone for more than 4 hours and Im currently on my 11th on this damn dell streak

So is there a way to find out what region this dell streak came from to make this process easier, I dont want to have to try flashing every single update.pkg and baseband.

Or is there a general solution to this issue hidden in the archives of the internet?

Do a cache wipe
dalvik cache wipe,
"DELL" factory reset

Re-Flash gs244, then straight away do the first 3 steps again.

This time, flash without the simcard inserted.
When it first boots up after the factory reset, turn it off, put your sim in and power on.

I had the same prob as you with a uk network sim, after doing the above, it worked fine, im pretty sure it will sort your issue.

Reactions: liquidburns

liquidburns

Jan 17, 2011
Do a cache wipe
dalvik cache wipe,
"DELL" factory reset

When it first boots up after the factory reset, turn it off, put your sim in and power on.

I had the same prob as you with a uk network sim, after doing the above, it worked fine, im pretty sure it will sort your issue.

I have tried this step 3 times to no avail. When I go into settings>Wireless & Network Settings>Mobile Networks >Network Operators then select Search Networks two networks appear related to my phone company. When I select one option it says

Your sim will not register to this network

The second options gives me this response

Unable to connect to the network at this time. Please try again later.

Isnt the error code for a bad radio blinking lights? So why am I getting this particular error code.....

Is there a deeper menu within the dell streak to access more radio settings?

Is there a way to find out what region this phone is from so I can flash the original update.pkg?

Will the packers win the superbowl.......

Thanks for the help so far, this seems to be a common problem. I searched through several pages of Google, I even resorted to using bing and yahoo but I haven't found one consistent solution. Lets make one guys.

Also after dell factory reset I get this error Default NV checked #2 which doesnt allow me to go straight into the update.zip streakdroid menu then it resets the phone.

Last edited:

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Do yourself a favor and don't install GingerStreak. Development has essentially stalled on that ROM, leaving it in a very buggy state compared to other ROMs. I recommend DSC, but with the GKernel that's available in Android Development instead of the kernel that comes with the ROM. The combination has been rock solid stable on my device, without any screens of death or problems with WiFi.

liquidburns

Jan 17, 2011
Ive flashed every single update.pkg from this list and have my Dell Streak 5 currently on 1.6 At&t retail 106 rom

http://mirror2.streakdroid.com/manii/

None of the packages work. On the Rodgers I would get a

Emergency Calls only status

Other than that I just have 4 bars with an x over them

I even erased all user data via fastboot

Ive used QDL at least 8 times

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Is there a key code via fastboot menu to get further into the mobile network settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Does your Streak still boot after using fastboot -erase? That's a big no-no. Usually results in a brick that only can be cured by disassembling the Streak and flashing an image of the internal MicroSD onto the card.

I am assuming that you flashed the recovery for the ROM you wanted to put on the Streak before trying to flash the ROM? You likely will have to search for some ancient posts, but if flashing the desired ROM's recovery image and then flashing the ROM doesn't work, you have to prepare the Streak to accept newer ROMs. Those ancient posts I mentioned detail the method to get units like yours to run newer versions of Android.

liquidburns

Jan 17, 2011
Does your Streak still boot after using fastboot -erase? That's a big no-no. Usually results in a brick that only can be cured by disassembling the Streak and flashing an image of the internal MicroSD onto the card.

I am assuming that you flashed the recovery for the ROM you wanted to put on the Streak before trying to flash the ROM? You likely will have to search for some ancient posts, but if flashing the desired ROM's recovery image and then flashing the ROM doesn't work, you have to prepare the Streak to accept newer ROMs. Those ancient posts I mentioned detail the method to get units like yours to run newer versions of Android.

I know fastboot erase is a bad idea but at this point not having a mobile signal makes this device useless to me anyways. I did that twice actually.

I am currently running official rom update package 360 or Android 2.2.2 the latest from retail. I am still having the same issue.

I have spend a good portion of my day for the past 4 days reading archives of discussions both here and on madaco. No on seems to have a consistent solution to this problem. Ive read that sticking a business card under the battery works, the order of flashing should fix it, I mean the solutions are all over the place and I tried all of them but I still have the same problems.

I haven't read every single Q&A post but I have read almost everything under the Dell Streak 5 XDA board pertaining to this issue. I've also flashed every single available update package with match recovery and baseband with no results.

I feel like I've failed at this project and I am never going to get the time or the effort I put into this device back unless I can get it to work so this is just beyond frustrating.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Have you tried using a different sim card? Every now and then there's a sim that wont work on it but will work on a different device.

graemeg

Dec 16, 2011
Dumfries and Galoway
sim

Sorry your still having this issue.

Ive googled and found nothing consistent apart from the obvious that already been mentioned.

Daft question i know but, are you absolutley 100% certain that this phone has not been blocked by your network via IMEI?

Sounds daft i know but people using phone / Tablets are reporting on consisten problems with networks and IMEI.

I would not attempt QDL anymore, if it didnt fix it the first time then that wont help your cause.

I think going back to ground zero is the place to sart, can you gain access to internal memory card, mine i can, i cut away the piece of plastic in the guide to allow easy access, i replaced the internal 2gig card with an 8gig class 10, just to note, the 2gig card was shot and was nothing more than a standard generic unbranded card, i do still have it sat around.

That would be my next step, wipe the phone, stick a diff card in and start again with STOCK 360 and matching recovery, i agree with the quote of avoiding gs, too damn buggy and problematic.

Let me know how youre getting on with it.

liquidburns

Jan 17, 2011

Ive googled and found nothing consistent apart from the obvious that already been mentioned.

Daft question i know but, are you absolutley 100% certain that this phone has not been blocked by your network via IMEI?

Sounds daft i know but people using phone / Tablets are reporting on consisten problems with networks and IMEI.

I would not attempt QDL anymore, if it didnt fix it the first time then that wont help your cause.

I think going back to ground zero is the place to sart, can you gain access to internal memory card, mine i can, i cut away the piece of plastic in the guide to allow easy access, i replaced the internal 2gig card with an 8gig class 10, just to note, the 2gig card was shot and was nothing more than a standard generic unbranded card, i do still have it sat around.

That would be my next step, wipe the phone, stick a diff card in and start again with STOCK 360 and matching recovery, i agree with the quote of avoiding gs, too damn buggy and problematic.

I ended up just liquidating the phone and cutting my losses. I dont think it was blocked from the network because I tried several SIM cards from different networks. For all I know it it could have been a bent SIM connection or something wacky. I am leaning towards the idea of it being hardware related but I gave it my best shot

tech4pk

Mar 17, 2009
Friends, I am also in the same state now. I bought the dell streak from one of our members, and it worked for few weeks. After that, I am getting that signal bar with X mark on it. I have tried all the options, but of no luck.
I spent almost my 6 months savings on this phone and it's really making me sleepless. Request your kind suggestions to address this.

anzhar

Jan 31, 2011
hi

i had same problem about a month ago, i just kept restarting phoning, pulling battery out and i gave up, then after leaving it for a couple of hours it was working......

tech4pk

Mar 17, 2009
^^ Thanks friend for your reply. I have been doing the same, doing the factory resetting and trying the various options. But, of no luck.
Any concrete solution for this problem? I appreciate all your inputs.

tech4pk

Mar 17, 2009
^^ Yeah, that's my big worry!! It seems to be a hardware related. I got this phone from one of the our members, and it has already having some hw issues like the buttons are gone inside, right side bezel is very loose, and all (unfortunately, the seller has not mentioned all these issues in his post) :(
Can the dell warranty applies internationally?

cdzo72

^^ Yeah, that's my big worry!! It seems to be a hardware related. I got this phone from one of the our members, and it has already having some hw issues like the buttons are gone inside, right side bezel is very loose, and all (unfortunately, the seller has not mentioned all these issues in his post) :(
Can the dell warranty applies internationally?

It applies only in the country it was purchased if it hasn't expired and with a valod letter of release from the original owner

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

tech4pk

Mar 17, 2009
^^ yeah, checked my local dell service guys and they are not supporting this. I think that this is now turning into an expensive brick! :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Do a cache wipe
    dalvik cache wipe,
    "DELL" factory reset

Do yourself a favor and don't install GingerStreak. Development has essentially stalled on that ROM, leaving it in a very buggy state compared to other ROMs. I recommend DSC, but with the GKernel that's available in Android Development instead of the kernel that comes with the ROM. The combination has been rock solid stable on my device, without any screens of death or problems with WiFi.

Have you tried using a different sim card? Every now and then there's a sim that wont work on it but will work on a different device.
    sim