5,599,478 Members 39,470 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help me to Find the Lapdock for Droid 3

Tip us?

TNSandman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Order mine from bensoutlet

Eagerly awaiting its arrival. Thanks for the good post spunker88.

TNSandman
Old
(Last edited by TNSandman; 30th April 2012 at 04:21 PM.) Reason: Spelling error...need to proof read.
Thanks Meter 2
Default My lapdick experience

I received my Atrix dock and really like it so far. I had to do quite a bit of trimming on the plastic dock to make the D3 sit properly and make a reliable connection. It works well and I really like it. Played with it for about a day now, Netflix is nice on bigger screen,texting is good, Angry Birds is good. I also like that it charges the phone battery.

All in all it took about an hour of plastic trimming and test fitting. I added one item as peace of mind for myself. Once the phone is docked I have a black Velcro cable tie a wrap around the phone and dock connector so I can move and not be to worried about the phone falling or the connectors being subjected to more stress than needed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNSandman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 332
I played around with this a title more today testing out keyboard shortcuts.

If you press Fn + F4 (4) it will shut off the screen on both the lapdock and the Droid, its basically the equivalent of pressing the power button. Ctrl + Alt + Del (Fn + Backspace) will reboot the phone. Ctrl brings up settings, Esc will work similar to the back button IIRC, and Fn + Home works as a home button.

The speakers will work even with the lid closed so the lapdock can be used like an audiodock. They aren't the best sounding since they are small, but still an improvement over the little built in speaker and since there are 2 of them on the dock you get stereo.

Remote RDP is a nice Android app that supports mouse input and works using the lapdock, meaning right click and left click work and you only see one cursor, but you'll have to configure this in the options. Unfortunately you are limited to using 960x540, even though the lapdock screen can do more you are limited to the Droid 3's resolution since its being mirrored.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

husker_fan
Old
(Last edited by husker_fan; 13th May 2012 at 05:49 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I ordered one from bens outlet too. I trimmed it and flipped connectors, but the keyboard and mouse and speakers don't work.

I see the battery indicator does not show charging when it is docked, possibly an issue with the usb?

Is there something I need to do to get it to work?

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker_fan View Post
I ordered one from bens outlet too. I trimmed it and flipped connectors, but the keyboard and mouse and speakers don't work.

I see the battery indicator does not show charging when it is docked, possibly an issue with the usb?

Is there something I need to do to get it to work?
Are you running stock 2.3.4? You may have issues with 3rd party ROMs especially ICS.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

husker_fan
Old
(Last edited by husker_fan; 14th May 2012 at 02:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Completely stock, just got the new update the other day

Probably defective unit, I will stick with Amazon next time, free shipping isn't worth the hassle of this waste of time.

p0tt5
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default steal of a deal!

Hey guys, been following this thread hoping that there will be some magic solution to enable the full real deal webtop on the D3, and came across this:

www(dot)all4cellular(dot)com/product/motorola-atrix-4g-laptop-dock-hdmi-upgrade-kit(dot)html

seems like a really reasonable price and you don't "have" to mod the dock.

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tt5 View Post
Hey guys, been following this thread hoping that there will be some magic solution to enable the full real deal webtop on the D3, and came across this:

www(dot)all4cellular(dot)com/product/motorola-atrix-4g-laptop-dock-hdmi-upgrade-kit(dot)html

seems like a really reasonable price and you don't "have" to mod the dock.
That isn't a bad price, Ive seen the cables sold by themselves before but they wanted over $20 just for the cables.

The advantage of modding the lapdock is that it can support the Droid 3 in the dock so you can pick up the lapdock and move around with it. Its actually comfortable to use as a laptop since it doesn't give off heat like a normal laptop.

The disadvantage is that modding it makes it look a bit ugly, at least my mod job, and you'd have to mod it each time you get a new phone.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

TNSandman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker_fan View Post
Completely stock, just got the new update the other day

Probably defective unit, I will stick with Amazon next time, free shipping isn't worth the hassle of this waste of time.
You may need to do a bit more trimming. Mine is still a little finicky, a little trimming would fix it up I bet.

I use a velcro strap to hold the phone nice and secure when docked.

Good luck. I use it often at work for meetings and such. On the road its great to use remote desktop over 3g.

spunker88
Old
Thanks Meter 332
Assuming the lapdock is charged or on the charger, I would try hooking up your phone while the lapdock connections are disassembled. This is what I did before modding it just to make sure it would work. The HDMI should work no matter what, but the keyboard/touchpad can be troublesome sometimes. Closing and reopening the lid usually gets it working.
Motorola Droid Bionic
Stock 4.1.2 Rooted
CM11 4.4 Safestrap

HP Touchpad
Evervolv 4.4

Toshiba Encore
Windows 8.1

Tags
lapdock