Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,661 Members 45,121 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Honestly, no Verizon phone truly is worth upgrading from Thunderbolt.

Tip us?

LunaticSerenade
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs11e View Post
Do you mean "soon" as in a geological sense such as several million years?
If so, you're right.

If you mean "soon" as in a couple of months you might be mistaken, nobody has ever accused Verizon of rushing out updates too soon!
Ha ha Newt has something in the works for the Bolt. Check out his Sense 4 Rezound ROMs...the man is a beast!

I went from the DInc to the Rezound (way better, btw), but my other line is a Bolt, and having used both....eh. I fully agree that the Dual Core is over rated on GB. Don't know about ICS. But the Bolt holds it's own.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
----------------------
Current:
Motorola Droid Maxx DE || Stock 4.4.4 || Stock Kernel

----------------------
Previous:
Motorola XT926 || Carbon || arrrghhh Kernel ||
HTC Rezound || CM 10.1 || Funky Kernel ||
HTC Droid Incredible || CM 10.1 ||
----------------------
Let's go out west and bask/in the overcast/standing in the rain/we'll see the beauty in life again
-Darkest Hour

geoff5093
Old
Thanks Meter 183
I'm in the same boat as most of you. My upgrade will come late this fall and I've been trying to plan out my upgrade, but so far nothing has come out that makes me want to really upgrade yet. At one point I was upset with my TB so I went down to Verizon to play with the new flagship phones and I actually left feeling glad that I had my TB. The only phones that looked good to me so far have been the Galaxy Note, S3, and One X. But then again none of those are really game changes, although the Note's screen is very interesting.

I heard rumors of a new RAZR HD coming out this fall, which is basically a spec and screen size bump of the RAZR MAXX, and an HTC rival to the Note. The iPhone 5 will also be out, so this fall will be interesting.

R187J
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I upgraded from my Tbolt to my rezound for
more internal memory 16gb but true is 12gb after first boot with 2gb for apps

1.5GHZ dual core OCed to 1.837GHZ

Upgraded RAM

wider variety of flashable roms and newer customizations

TRUE Beats audio

Way better battery I have achieved 26 hours on 1 battery

Although I do miss my kickstand from the thunderbolt I was able to find a case with thunderbolt-like kickstand

LunaticSerenade
Old
Thanks Meter 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by R187J View Post
I upgraded from my Tbolt to my rezound for
more internal memory 16gb but true is 12gb after first boot with 2gb for apps

1.5GHZ dual core OCed to 1.837GHZ

Upgraded RAM

wider variety of flashable roms and newer customizations

TRUE Beats audio

Way better battery I have achieved 26 hours on 1 battery

Although I do miss my kickstand from the thunderbolt I was able to find a case with thunderbolt-like kickstand

How in hell did you get 26 hours? The best I've gotten is 17....

----------------------
Current:
Motorola Droid Maxx DE || Stock 4.4.4 || Stock Kernel

----------------------
Previous:
Motorola XT926 || Carbon || arrrghhh Kernel ||
HTC Rezound || CM 10.1 || Funky Kernel ||
HTC Droid Incredible || CM 10.1 ||
----------------------
Let's go out west and bask/in the overcast/standing in the rain/we'll see the beauty in life again
-Darkest Hour

santod040
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 7310

DONATE TO ME
Post HTC One X Verizon Petition

Wanna see the HTC One X come to Verizon?
Sign the petition and be heard!

RETWEET HERE To get more eyes on this

Current Devices: HTC Thunderbolt | HTC Droid DNA | HTC One | HTC One (2014)

Follow me on Twitter
ULTIMATE WALLS WVGA Wallpaper Collection
Donations always appreciated! Never required!

carycooke
Old
Thanks Meter 44
I had the Motorola razr maxx for one week and sent it back
I just couldn't see paying that much for something the bolt was close to anyways
The razr was fast but moto blur sucks and the speaker crackles and is to quite and screen was not that great too dark
My bolt has good battery life pretty fast and does what I need it to do
I'm a sense fan too
Might burn a upgrade when one of those HTC phone / tablet hybrids comes out

Sent from my HTC Mecha using XDA
ROTO ROOTED THUNDERBOLT

SubliminalME
Old
Thanks Meter 52
So, I'm sitting here reading this with my fancy new Galaxy Nexus sitting beside me.

I dropped my Tbolt on the concrete last week and spidered the screen for the 3rd time. I called Verizon, they gave me the option to upgrade early. I took it.

I was torn between Rezound and Nexus. What did it for me is this: The future is on-screen buttons. Buying a new phone that I'll be with for 2 years with capacitive buttons means that in ICS, it's already outdated (built for GB). When Jellybean comes out and I'm still rocking the phone made for GB...well, it'll be REALLY outdated.

So, I picked up the Nexus. The screen is awesome. Nice and big, easy to read on, great resolution...I even like the little curve to it.

The dev community is great...a lot of guys from TB...Droidtheory, Liquid, BAMF, Protekk. Lot of familiar faces.

Of course, 99% of the available roms (and there are dozens of them) are exactly the same, but with a few different menus in the specialized tweak dept. I'm running AOKP right now, and have found it to be my favorite. Immosyen is there with LeanKernal, and my new favorite is this whole derkernal.com business...good stuff. OC'ed to 1.42 Ghz, with AOKP, this phone is snappy...much quicker than the tbolt. I know benchmarks aren't everything, but in Antutu my wife's Tbolt (1.42 Ghz on Bamf) gets 3000ish and my Nexus gets almost 7000 at current settings.

ICS is awesome. Really good. Voice recognition...well, I put Siri to shame the other night doing voice searches. When you're dictating to the phone in voice, the words pop up as you say them and it doesn't stop until you push the stop button. Awesome.

But, I just ordered a new digitizer for my 'bolt and if that works out, the Nexus is going back to the store.

The reception is TERRIBLE. This phone, apparently, has the same radios as the Charge. My neighbor went thru about 20 of them before they sent him a Rezound and fixed his reception problems.

I'm sitting at work in a 4g area. 'bolt NEVER dropped to 3g. I just looked down and my Nexus is on 3g right now. I've tried all of the radios, leaked, OTA, stock, you name it. It must be true when they say that software just can't fix bad hardware.

So, if you live in a fantastic reception area, the Nexus is a VERY worthy upgrade. If you don't, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SubliminalME For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

watt9493
Old
Thanks Meter 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalME View Post
So, I'm sitting here reading this with my fancy new Galaxy Nexus sitting beside me.

I dropped my Tbolt on the concrete last week and spidered the screen for the 3rd time. I called Verizon, they gave me the option to upgrade early. I took it.

I was torn between Rezound and Nexus. What did it for me is this: The future is on-screen buttons. Buying a new phone that I'll be with for 2 years with capacitive buttons means that in ICS, it's already outdated (built for GB). When Jellybean comes out and I'm still rocking the phone made for GB...well, it'll be REALLY outdated.

So, I picked up the Nexus. The screen is awesome. Nice and big, easy to read on, great resolution...I even like the little curve to it.

The dev community is great...a lot of guys from TB...Droidtheory, Liquid, BAMF, Protekk. Lot of familiar faces.

Of course, 99% of the available roms (and there are dozens of them) are exactly the same, but with a few different menus in the specialized tweak dept. I'm running AOKP right now, and have found it to be my favorite. Immosyen is there with LeanKernal, and my new favorite is this whole derkernal.com business...good stuff. OC'ed to 1.42 Ghz, with AOKP, this phone is snappy...much quicker than the tbolt. I know benchmarks aren't everything, but in Antutu my wife's Tbolt (1.42 Ghz on Bamf) gets 3000ish and my Nexus gets almost 7000 at current settings.

ICS is awesome. Really good. Voice recognition...well, I put Siri to shame the other night doing voice searches. When you're dictating to the phone in voice, the words pop up as you say them and it doesn't stop until you push the stop button. Awesome.

But, I just ordered a new digitizer for my 'bolt and if that works out, the Nexus is going back to the store.

The reception is TERRIBLE. This phone, apparently, has the same radios as the Charge. My neighbor went thru about 20 of them before they sent him a Rezound and fixed his reception problems.

I'm sitting at work in a 4g area. 'bolt NEVER dropped to 3g. I just looked down and my Nexus is on 3g right now. I've tried all of the radios, leaked, OTA, stock, you name it. It must be true when they say that software just can't fix bad hardware.

So, if you live in a fantastic reception area, the Nexus is a VERY worthy upgrade. If you don't, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Just summed up the nexus and why I'm probably NOT getting it. All the same roms and terrible cell radios.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Galaxy s4
Inc

dante020
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I have a Thunderbolt and I recently upgraded to the Nexus. It's a great phone except that I got horrible reception compared to what I was getting. You would think that reception would be a priority on a phone but I guess not...so I returned it for a Rezound.

The Rezound is also a great phone except the reception still isn't quite as good and when I have a weak signal I get horrible interference through the headphone port. Anyways, I'm back on my Thunderbolt waiting for something better.
The Following User Says Thank You to dante020 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frank s
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante020 View Post
Anyways, I'm back on my Thunderbolt waiting for something better.
Exactly. This is what a lot of us mean when we say the TBolt is a "mature" phone. Mature doesn't mean "old". It means that it works.

-Frank

Sent using Tapatalk 2
+[HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
____________________ (Click on pics/links) ___________________
It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©