Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,872 Members 53,238 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung optical drive

Tip us?

simonr43
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Samsung optical drive

Has anyone else seen the press release about Samsungs new android compatible optical drive. It looks like it could be the thing that allows me to ditch the laptop once and for all but one thing concerns me. The press release says:
" Through its AV connectivity mode, the drive is also ideal for Tablet PC users that want to view or hear content from a disc."
It looks to me like it won't be a fully functioning r/w DVD drive. Calling it AV mode implies it will only allow you to view media files, and not actually use it looked a proper drive.
Any views?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Goatshocker
Old
Thanks Meter 407
Sounds extremely old-fashioned and unnecessary. I havnt used optical drives for... I think its 5 years now.
Flashdrives is far superior in every. single. way.
Quick ADB Pusher v0.5 (discontinued)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone(ancient junk): ZTE Blade some CM11 build
Tablet 7": Novo 7 Basic running stock HC 3.2.1
Tablet 10": ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB running Team EOS nightly (build 26)

Phone(new): HTC One S S4 running Dark Jelly S CM10 build23
Phone(junk): Xperia P running resurrection remix or Honami MW
Phone(Newest): Galaxy S4 Mini running slimKat
-----
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U NO THANK ME? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

simonr43
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
But you can't rip a CD or DVD with a flash drive. When I buy music I still want a physical medium because I don't like being beholden to music sites. Also, living in a rural area my broadband is too slow for streaming video, so DVD is still format of choice for buying films.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Goatshocker
Old
Thanks Meter 407
I always download a copy of whatever I buy. If, for some very strange reason, I need to rip something, I got 3 laptops that can do that just fine :d

I cant stand the sound of a DVD reader, the constant disc-swapping, the bulkiness of the dvd discs, the risk of getting scratches on it rendering the dvd unusable (not that I have ever scratched a single dvd/cd though, but I know a lot of people who have lol).

Ok so some people (like you) still uses cd/dvd discs but... I really cant see why you would want that on a tablet? It kinda defeats half the purpose of a tablet - mobility.
Ever tried to move a cd/dvd reader while its working (not talking portable ones here)? It will most certainly lose focus on what it was reading. And even portables will lose focus if you give them a slight tap, or move them too fast...

A flashdrive, on the other hand, can be thrown into a wall while working, without losing focus (If we ignore the chance of it coming lose and just focus on the impact force).

Aaaanyyyyywayyyyy... This wasnt ment to be a rant-post, even though it turned out like that... Sorry, I'll leave this thread now and leave it to people who are interested in old-fashioned media :d
Quick ADB Pusher v0.5 (discontinued)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone(ancient junk): ZTE Blade some CM11 build
Tablet 7": Novo 7 Basic running stock HC 3.2.1
Tablet 10": ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB running Team EOS nightly (build 26)

Phone(new): HTC One S S4 running Dark Jelly S CM10 build23
Phone(junk): Xperia P running resurrection remix or Honami MW
Phone(Newest): Galaxy S4 Mini running slimKat
-----
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U NO THANK ME? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

simonr43
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
I refer back to the fact that rural broadband is useless for downloading copies of anything, I wouldn't use it on the move (I would want it just to rip copies of things).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

farsight73
Old
Thanks Meter 155
I can't remember when was the last time I actually use the DVD-drive.. I have PC running windows 7 with the latest super multi DVD drive...but... I haven't really use it these days.. Everything these days uses USB memory stick, I use it in my car, use it for my TV, use it for my PC and use it for my TF101..

BUT.... still it's a great news if our TF101 can run this external DVD-drive somehow.. it added the feature and functionality to this already awesome TF101.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium HD app
=======================================
Nexus 5: 312K: Running stock deodexed 4.4.4 with ElementalX kernel

Transformer TF101(B60): Kitkat-Katkiss 4.4.4
System Speed: Overclock Dual Core 1400Ghz

VeeDubb65
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I agree about not using optical disks as much anymore. There are only two things left that I use my DVD drive for. Ripping my movies when I buy a new disk so I can keep them all on my NAS, and burning photo DVDs for my clients (wedding photography).

Unfortunately, neither of those things will be changing until something better than current media formats comes around. Movies still come on disk (unless you want to by choked by excessive DRM) and optical discs are still more stable for long term storage than flash drives. Given that, I can understand why some folks might still want an optical drive option. I could hook the drive up to my tablet and demo the images direct from the DVD I'm about to give a client.

goodintentions
Old
Thanks Meter 732

DONATE TO ME
Pffffft...

Feeling overwhelmed by all these instructions meant for smarties? Well, you're in luck because I've made a Viewsonic G-Tablet For Dummies where all the instructions are dumbed down for dummies.

zedorda
Old
(Last edited by zedorda; 6th May 2012 at 08:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 26
mispost plz del