5,605,766 Members 48,470 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [HELP] Motorola Battery Question Mark Workaround/ Hack?

Tip us?

SuperDeform
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 11

DONATE TO ME
Will getting a new oem battery work?

seordin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
No, replacing the battery will not work if you messed up when connecting the spliced USB charger + and - to the wrong terminals in the phone.

supasoju
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have exactly same problem. I sliced the usb cable to revive my Droid X when the battery died during sbfing. Now my phone survived but Im stuck with question mark on battery icon. I flashed reflahsed and flashed again but no luck. wiped batt stat but no luck. Tried new OEM battery, no luck.. Put the batt in the freezer for 10min but no luck. I ran out of all the possible solution.

Now I just got the external stand along batt charger from ebay with 2 extra batts. I just carry extra battery since I dont know when the phone will go dead..

I would love to find out if someone can fix this issue. I still got 6 mo to go before I can upgrade.

jodaboda
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I HAVE A SOLUTION (worked for me):

When doing the "Macgyver Hack", I jammed the USB wires into the battery. This pushed the metal spring terminals out. After that, the battery terminal springs don't all touch the connectors in the phone.

Take a needle, and carefully pull the battery's metal springs toward each other.

This worked for me.

Also, try this:

Remove battery and unplug phone. Plug phone in (without battery), then turn on (some phones will turn on without a battery). After the logo comes up, insert the battery. This made my phone recognize the battery and get into the OS.

Once the battery is recognized and you can boot to the OS, root the phone and get the battery calibration app (and use it).

I have a Motorola Defy, and used the Macgyver hack, then had the question mark problem for days before figuring this out.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jodaboda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shupey
Old
(Last edited by shupey; 14th November 2011 at 02:45 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
jodaboda, Thank you a ton for that. I've been searching and trying out things to fix this and this is the closest I've come.

Although the Droid 2 doesn't boot up without a battery, I've had to the Macgyver Hack to get it to boot. The battery calibration app reads 100% charged when I am using the Macgyver Hack and is showing that the battery is charging. I'll tell you if it works once my battery is charged and I calibrate.

I wasn't able to get it to work. I think there is potential but my phone eventually died and it wasn't able to fix it. That app can measure the volts correctly tho, which means we should be able to get the battery working again somehow.

dilfatx
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodaboda View Post
I HAVE A SOLUTION (worked for me):

When doing the "Macgyver Hack", I jammed the USB wires into the battery. This pushed the metal spring terminals out. After that, the battery terminal springs don't all touch the connectors in the phone.

Take a needle, and carefully pull the battery's metal springs toward each other.

This worked for me.

Also, try this:

Remove battery and unplug phone. Plug phone in (without battery), then turn on (some phones will turn on without a battery). After the logo comes up, insert the battery. This made my phone recognize the battery and get into the OS.

Once the battery is recognized and you can boot to the OS, root the phone and get the battery calibration app (and use it).

I have a Motorola Defy, and used the Macgyver hack, then had the question mark problem for days before figuring this out.
I don't have a nan back up from recovery but have read on another thread that you can also fix this by doing a restore of a back up through the recovery from a time before you have had the battery ? issue.. several people have also mentioned that it worked for them.. in my case I don't have a back up before this issue so I cannot confirm.

coolguy71261
Old
Thanks Meter 6
my phone died noooo

notes1
Old
(Last edited by notes1; 6th May 2012 at 10:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
bumping in case anyone has a solution?
please. pretty please.

tried methods above, phone wont boot unless plugged in... i don't care i can't tell what % its at, but i do care it wont boot off battery power.

Tags
battery, developer, droid 2, hack, sbf