Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,383 Members 51,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Horrible battery life after 2.3.6

Tip us?

CNLiberal
Old
(Last edited by CNLiberal; 9th March 2012 at 04:22 AM.) Reason: Forgot to include my WiFi movements today. And now someone has (rightly) asked me to format better.
Thanks Meter 41
Well, I'm suffering this battery drain issue. I have done a few things to try and trace it down. I have taken several screen shots, but I've also tried a "Shark for Root" and will post the pcap here.

I was running the UKK6 baseband earlier today. I reverted back to what my phone came with, UCKH7. I thought that would clear up the issue. It did not. I was at 1% battery about 10 minutes ago. So I got about 12 hours out of the battery. That just doesn't seem right. I'm running UnNamedROM 2.2.1. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. Any help would be appreciated. Or should I post this in Entropy's battery thread?

EDIT:

I took the phone off the charger around 8:20 this morning. I have WiFi continuously active along with 3G. I put it in my truck and plugged in the car charger and a jack into my stereo and listened to music on the way to work. The screen shuts off after a minute or so.

When I get to work, the phone goes onto my company's public network. That network uses Cisco Aironet 1400 access points. The public firewall is actually a pfSense install running on an ESXi box. I do not plug my phone into AC during the day. It was actually a very light email day. I was really hoping to get more out of it. I had a few text messages, and would play Angry Birds at times. Nothing really crazy. I also checked the Market for updates. Just before lunch, I swapped basebands back down to UCKH7.

Then I went to lunch a little after noon. Hopped back in my truck, and plugged in, and listened to music again. It's about a 10 minute trip home. The phone got back on to my home wireless network. It consists of a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT v24sp1. The firewall/router is a pfSense box running on SuperMicro 1U Intel Atom processor with Intel NICs. Again, I didn't plug the phone in.

Finished lunch, and repeated procedure. I thought the battery was holding out much better when I got back to work. My office has a mini-gym/fitness room, so at 5, I went there. I traversed a few Cisco APs to get there, but all the while, stayed on the same SSID (Public). I listened to music stored on the SD card using the PlayerPro app. I left the gym around 6 and still had about 28% battery. I thought it was going very well.

I got home around 6:10 and between then and now, I got down to 1% battery. I didn't use the phone at all. When I heard the 15% warning I was skeptical. Within about 10 minutes of that, I heard the 5% warning. Then I installed Shark for Root and Shark Reader and got the pcaps. What else can I provide to troubleshoot this?

I know that looks like a wall of text, but I'm trying to provide as much detail as possible to aid in troubleshooting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120308-200446.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	938368   Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120308-200626.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	938369  
Attached Files
File Type: zip shark_dump_1331258165.zip - [Click for QR Code] (33.2 KB, 5 views)
Nexus 5, Rooted, Xposed Framework and Gravity Box

Nexus 7
USBROM FW, Rooted to add USB OTG + Charging for use in my Chevy Tahoe

PAST: Galaxy Nexus Maguro(GSM) CM10.2, Samsung Galaxy S2 (I777) CM9, iPhone 3GS, Motorola v3m wiped to Java FW.
Grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Data

seanpr123
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNLiberal View Post
EDIT:

I took the phone off the charger around 8:20 this morning....
What else can I provide to troubleshoot this?
Honestly that is a huge block of edit text, perhaps format and condense if possible?

CNLiberal
Old
Thanks Meter 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpr123 View Post
Honestly that is a huge block of edit text, perhaps format and condense if possible?
Thanks for the advice on formatting. It was a huge wall of text.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving it detailed because I thought those details would help in the troubleshooting. To show that I went on and off 2 WiFi networks all day and the times that happened.
Nexus 5, Rooted, Xposed Framework and Gravity Box

Nexus 7
USBROM FW, Rooted to add USB OTG + Charging for use in my Chevy Tahoe

PAST: Galaxy Nexus Maguro(GSM) CM10.2, Samsung Galaxy S2 (I777) CM9, iPhone 3GS, Motorola v3m wiped to Java FW.
Grandfathered AT&T Unlimited Data

DragonQ
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Haven't been in this thread for a while but I just tried connecting to a different WiFi network at work (there's two, an "open" one that requires browser login and a "secure" one that uses WPA2 Enterprise login). Turns out both of them cause major battery drain on my Galaxy S2 (2.3.4, XWKI4), around 5-10% per hour.

Just wondering if there's any more developments on this issue? I've thought about rooting my phone so if I do, what version/type of ROM would probably fix this issue?

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24236

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Haven't been in this thread for a while but I just tried connecting to a different WiFi network at work (there's two, an "open" one that requires browser login and a "secure" one that uses WPA2 Enterprise login). Turns out both of them cause major battery drain on my Galaxy S2 (2.3.4, XWKI4), around 5-10% per hour.

Just wondering if there's any more developments on this issue? I've thought about rooting my phone so if I do, what version/type of ROM would probably fix this issue?
XWKI4 is close in build time to XXKI3, which has an issue that prevents the screen-off packet filters from enabling. There's a good chance you'll see this problem go away on XWKL1 or XWLA4.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

emohawk
Old
(Last edited by emohawk; 7th May 2012 at 09:32 PM.) Reason: added wifi info and changed last line
Thanks Meter 0
Hi all,

I have been reading through this thread as i have truly horrible battery life on my SGS (i9000) since upgrading to to the Samsung stock 2.3.6 rom.

I have had all the symptoms of the previous posters such as
> Warm (well blooming hot) rear case
> Android OS using 90% of Battery

My update was installed via cable and the Kies desktop, As normal I performed a hard reset to ensure the update was fully embedded and all my apps and settings restored.

However, I have found a "work around" and potentially identified further info to track down the root cause.

After the issues I restored my phone and re-enabled all my settings and apps one by one and found that once I had entered my email settings (both exchange servers with the collection method set to hourly) the issue returned and I had a hot phone with no battery life. Removing the settings again resolved the issue.

Interestingly the GMail app does not cause the same battery drain also my WIFI is permanently enabled and connected at home/work

would be interested to hear if the email is the same cause for other people?

Phalanx7621
Old
Thanks Meter 2047
2.3.6 has known battery drain issues. And I'm putting it nicely. Most on here would probably call it.....well....you may wanna move away from that firmware version. Why not try ICS ? Or at least switch back to. 2.3.4 firmware

"Sent from my SGS2 running AOKP. Open source or GTFO."

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S II, Motorola Atrix[retired]

ilgadets
Old
Thanks Meter 5
what are the chances this problem will still exist in the offical ics release? i've been holding off in rooting and rom-ing. just wondering if i'm wasting my time waiting for the official ics release.

mattdm
Old
Thanks Meter 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgadets View Post
what are the chances this problem will still exist in the offical ics release? i've been holding off in rooting and rom-ing. just wondering if i'm wasting my time waiting for the official ics release.
I'm sure there is going to be a lot of problems with the official release, as always. It's gonna be a mess.
Phone: Galaxy S4 Mini Black Edition (GT-9195)
Firmware: SlimKat
Launcher: Google Experience Launcher

Previous phones: Samsung E317, Motorola KRZR K1, Sony Ericsson w580i, Samsung Sync (SGH-A707), Sony Ericsson F305, Blackberry Bold 9700, Blackberry Torch 9800, AT&T Galaxy SII (SGH-I777), Nexus 5, AT&T Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337)

So say we all.

nbunn
Old
Thanks Meter 183
SHOstock2!!!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
Don't forget to hit the thanks button!