.7 Amp vs 1.0 Amp Charger

Search This thread

ricktat

Nov 14, 2011
So the One X comes with a 1.0 Amp charger. The charger would not fit(too long) in the spot where I have been using my Samsung charger.

I compared the two and saw the only difference is the .7 A to 1.0 A. looked up if it was ok to use. Some even reported longer battery life with the slower charger. Makes some sense just lasts longer.

Maybe I am crazy but it seems like I get better battery life from the .7 charger.

I have went back and forth a few times....But of course not enough days to really tell.

thoughts?

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
Definitely overthinking it. It will just charge slower.

Yep, what he said.

To think of it another way, you can charge your phone via a USB connection to your computer, but it's much slower. This is because USB only provides 0.5 (or maybe it's 0.2?) Amps.

However, going with an adapter that's HIGHER than 1.0A could cause damage.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
If you run your battery down, the smaller charger (and definitely the case for PC USB because they max out at 500ma) may not be able to charge at all. In normal cases, it is fine.

c5satellite2

Mar 2, 2012
Higher than 1a won't damage anything. .7 might not actually charge the battery 100% depending on if the phone thinks it is usb(500ma charging mode) or ac charger(wont charge properly).

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

cc2ee

Feb 26, 2011
Higher than 1a won't damage anything. .7 might not actually charge the battery 100% depending on if the phone thinks it is usb(500ma charging mode) or ac charger(wont charge properly).

This. The voltage is what really matters. The phone won't draw more than it can to charge. If it draws 1A while charging and you put it on a 2A charger, it will pull 1A. But if the voltages don't match up and there isn't a protection circuit for that type of problem, you could fry the electronics with a higher amperage.

Reactions: ECEXCURSION

c5satellite2

Mar 2, 2012
100% on the voltage! That is the important one. .7a shouldnt be recognized as a real ac charger resulting in the phone thinking it is USB 500ma charging mode which is the same as pc, slow. If the device thinks the .7a charger is ac charging mode, the battery probably will never charge to 100%. In fact if you were at 100%, and the phone was in ac charging mode with a .7a charger, it would drain your battery! More than 1a, the phone will only draw what it is capable of. Some aftermarket chargers will still charge in USB 500ma mode because the phone won't recognize them as ac charging 1a mode. I had an old HTC charger once that did funny things to my inspire, it would open navigation every time it was plugged in(thought it was a car dock I guess). Use real OEM chargers if possible. They will charge the fastest, and you won't have issues. The real HTC chargers at 1a are much faster than the aftermarket chargers I have tried. I have a good Kensington 1a car and wall charger, and the HTC blows them away as far as speed!

Last edited:

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
100% on the voltage! That is the important one. .7a shouldnt be recognized as a real ac charger resulting in the phone thinking it is USB 500ma charging mode which is the same as pc, slow. If the device thinks the .7a charger is ac charging mode, the battery probably will never charge to 100%.

Actually, AC charging mode or PC USB mode is not determined by amprage or volts (all use 5v). It is determined by how the data pins are terminated. Most non-Apple chargers terminate data pins the same way so they will be recognized as AC charger. Apple chargers are the ones that may not be recognized by the phone as AC chargers because Apple terminates data PINs different than everyone else. Regardless of the charging mode, they all can charge to 100% if they can initiate the charge.

LiIon battery charging circuitary is much more complicated than your normal AA chargers. It is regulated internally so that slightly variations of input voltage won't affect the charging. It has to internally control the charge process precisely so that it can terminate the process at the exact moment (overcharging results in explusion).

Last edited:

racerex

Dec 29, 2011
Input power supply being 0.7A or 1A has no bearing on the level to which the battery is filled. Even input voltage has no bearing! The only impact to the system will be the rate at which you can charge.

c5satellite2

Mar 2, 2012
Not true. Some chargers make the device think it is a real ac charger, but do not provide enough to charge to 100%. And yes it has to do with pinout. Some ac chargers aren't recognized properly and results in USB charge mode even if they have more than 500ma available. Even if your pc provides more than the USB standard of 500ma, it will only draw 500ma and charge slowly.

Don't mess with the voltage, it WILL damage your device! The previous post should be ignored, and deleted.

Alcoholic

Aug 27, 2009
I use my touchpad charger and its 5.3v instead of 5v and its definitely charging my phone faster than the HTC stock charger. No affect on battery life though.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

c5satellite2

Mar 2, 2012
5.3v or 5v is ok because there is a little leeway, and I'm sure the 5.3 isn't exactly 5.3 anyway. If it was, the extra .3v is probably within range, and is not blowing things up, just stressing them a little more, making some heat, and wearing them out slightly quicker.
Try a 12v charger, see what happens. LOL.
Seriously the 5.3v might actually be closer to 5v than a charger labeled 5v and therefore could result in better charging. Remember, input voltage varies as well. Your electricity could go under 100v or as high as 120v. Our electric grid is not very consistent. Supply is constantly being adjusted to meet demand, resulting in widely varying voltages. I have seen it dip into the low 90v range on hot summer afternoons, and rarely in the 115v-120v range where it should be. The 5.0 volt charger would result in the best performance if it was actually putting out a TRUE 5v. A high quality charger, with high quality, consistent, 115v input power that is properly rated is ideal. In reality it doesn't exist.

5.3v close enough, might actually be better. One way to tell, put the voltmeter on it!

If you have access to volt/multimeter, could you post your ac voltage at the outlet and the dc voltage coming out of the 5.3v charger. Could be interesting. How many amps is the charger also? Might have to get one.

Last edited:

racerex

Dec 29, 2011
Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Not true. Some chargers make the device think it is a real ac charger, but do not provide enough to charge to 100%.

Either an input power provides power or it doesn't. The only reason it would "stop" is if the charger in the phone runs out of headroom and I have yet to see this with any AC/DC or USB supply.

The whole issue of whether or not the phone identifies the power supply is an entirely separate discussion. But once it does identify and begin charging it will do so until completion.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

The 5.0 volt charger would result in the best performance if it was actually putting out a TRUE 5v.

This is not true. Take two AC/DC adapters...

A) 5.3V@800mA = 4.24W
B) 5V@800mA =4.00W

The HTC One X has an internal switching charger with dynamic input power limiting. So it will actually be able to draw MORE current from Adapter A than Adapter B. Also, because the charger in the One X is a switching charger there will be negligible extra heat generated and no excessive wear and tear.

Jerandroid

Oct 4, 2012
how did you know?

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Either an input power provides power or it doesn't. The only reason it would "stop" is if the charger in the phone runs out of headroom and I have yet to see this with any AC/DC or USB supply.

The whole issue of whether or not the phone identifies the power supply is an entirely separate discussion. But once it does identify and begin charging it will do so until completion.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

This is not true. Take two AC/DC adapters...

A) 5.3V@800mA = 4.24W
B) 5V@800mA =4.00W

The HTC One X has an internal switching charger with dynamic input power limiting. So it will actually be able to draw MORE current from Adapter A than Adapter B. Also, because the charger in the One X is a switching charger there will be negligible extra heat generated and no excessive wear and tear.

Htc has input power limiting? Internal switching charger? Where did you get this information?

twistedddx

Oct 23, 2010
The plugpack will be voltage regulated(to protect from overvoltage with under designed load) not ampage regulated.

The battery charges via voltage float, the higher the voltage the quicker the charge, but the voltage is regulated anyways so there is no fast and slow charge. It is charging or it's not. The charge circuit steps up and down the voltage to give fast/slow charge not the plugpack in mobile phones.

1.0a versus 0.7a just means the rated output is lower. It does not change the load. All that happens is the 0.7a will be running over its rated output which results in running hotter and potential running undervoltage.

Running 0.7a is not good if the battery charge circuit will draw 1.0a by design. Your plugpack just becomes a firerisk.

You should always match the designed specifications, eg 12v 1.0a.
The device expects a 12v(or close) input and should be able to draw 1.0a without issue.
If you over or under volt the charge circuit it could blow up, if you over draw the supply it might melt.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This. The voltage is what really matters. The phone won't draw more than it can to charge. If it draws 1A while charging and you put it on a 2A charger, it will pull 1A. But if the voltages don't match up and there isn't a protection circuit for that type of problem, you could fry the electronics with a higher amperage.