Official update to ICS for Galaxy R

Search This thread
M

m.kochan10

Really good price, I sold mine for about 280 $ and today gave back S2 (got full refund ;)) So I am officially without a smartphone. I am leaning towards HTC One S but it has two-three major cons: no SD slot (just 16 gb of internal storage), locked bootloader, connectivity issues + design problem (Micro Arc Oxidation failure).

Last edited:

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
Really good price, I sold mine for about 280 $ and today gave back S2 (got full refund ;)) So I am officially without a smartphone. I am leaning towards HTC One S but it has two-three major cons: no SD slot (just 16 gb of internal storage), locked bootloader, connectivity issues + design problem (Micro Arc Oxidation failure).

So you are also checking it out ? It has Dual core A15 which certainly is much better than the A9 architecture.

Locked boot loader ? I have not used HTC before but doesn't HTC release unlocked one later on ?

About the coating HTC had said its made some changes in the manufacturing process.

Though I am sticking with my R. :D

M

m.kochan10

I gave back S2 because:

1) Heat. I tested two brand new S2 and both of them got really warm after normal and extended usage. I read that it was common for this model but I didn't feel comfortable with little heater in my pocket. To be honest, S2 is of course a great phone, it was snappier and nicer than SGR but it didn't feel equally sturdy and robust as i9103 which is important for me.

2)Price. I paid an old price (which I consider a way too high for a one-year old release)...and prices fell this week and they will continue to fall for sure. I had a possibility to give it back and get full refund (the old price) I just went for it. If I ever decide for S2 again I want simply pay much lower price ;)

3)School :) I guess new smartphone with tons of stuff to flash is not a good idea when I have a big exam within 11 days ;P

4) HTC One S. I've read some reviews about this phone and it beat S2 and even Htc One X with Tegra3 fair and square in almost every field. Quad core isn't a "must" for me. I simply don't like too big phones. But among dual-core handsets One S seems unbeatable for now. I had bad experiences with HTC Incredible S so I will have to think about switching to HTC for next year or two.
S3 is to big and too expensive.

reymysterio7

Mar 20, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
I gave back S2 because:

1) Heat. I tested two brand new S2 and both of them got really warm after normal and extended usage. I read that it was common for this model but I didn't feel comfortable with little heater in my pocket. To be honest, S2 is of course a great phone, it was snappier and nicer than SGR but it didn't feel equally sturdy and robust as i9103 which is important for me.

Did you try the S2 i9100 or the i9100g model?

By sturdy and robust you mean the build quality of SGR? Coz if you're talking bout hardware, I've had motherboards replaced thrice and a USB connector once. ;)

Reactions: vbz89

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
One S is best choice,
according to benchmarks it scores lil low than s iii (one s using sense rom which greatly effect scores)

one s have s4 chip, variant of s iii will also sport this dual core s4 chip (heard rumour)

it have samoled 4.3 inch screen which is perfect size (everyones got differ taste, i dont like phones with huge 4.5+ inch screen)

16gb is pretty enough, also have 8mpix snapper, good looks.

And as its a htc phone and its popular, no worry about dev department :D

If i were planning to buy next phone it must be one s (i m not going to leave my sgr at all :p)

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2

M

m.kochan10

Did you try the S2 i9100 or the i9100g model?

By sturdy and robust you mean the build quality of SGR? Coz if you're talking bout hardware, I've had motherboards replaced thrice and a USB connector once. ;)

Yes I meant the build quality :) ****...Thrice!!! I'm not at all surprised that you decide to sell it :)

One S is best choice,
according to benchmarks it scores lil low than s iii (one s using sense rom which greatly effect scores)

one s have s4 chip, variant of s iii will also sport this dual core s4 chip (heard rumour)

it have samoled 4.3 inch screen which is perfect size (everyones got differ taste, i dont like phones with huge 4.5+ inch screen)

16gb is pretty enough, also have 8mpix snapper, good looks.

And as its a htc phone and its popular, no worry about dev department :D

If i were planning to buy next phone it must be one s (i m not going to leave my sgr at all :p)

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with almost everything. However there are few points: the quality build (it was supposed to be as sturdy as hell but as it turned out there is a problem with shell and skin going off the aluminum body - I guess it was the first batch. Perhaps it's solved now) and locked bootloader....You can unlock it on htc-website but then you accept voiding your guarantee to some extent, I read also that data-connection dropps sometimes (but I guess it's about radio/modem update)

Last edited:

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
I forgot to mention HTC One S has a pentile screen with a 256ppi which is not the best around.

And as its AMOLED surfing websites will suck up battery very fast but will last longer in video playback. My primary use (ofcourse besides texting & making calls) is browsing where R fits pretty well with its SC-LCD.

My next handset will also have a LCD unless they improve the AMOLED screens. As I'll be sticking with R for long & I hope AMOLED improves by that time. :)

Last edited:

reymysterio7

Mar 20, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Yes I meant the build quality :) ****...Thrice!!! I'm not at all surprised that you decide to sell it :)

My SGR was with the SSC guys for the last 20 days! In this period itself they replaced the motherboard twice coz 1 of them dint detect external SD and in the process of replacing it the 2nd time they broke the back panel! They replaced it though. Guess it was jinxed for me xD

I took it straight from my SSC and sold it ;) Although I did a thorough check myself and everything seemed to be working fine except the auto-rotation and I informed that to the buyer.

As u guys must hv understood by now I've had a horrendous time with the SSC guys. So it has become a priority for me now. Can anyone who knows kindly let me know how is HTC's customer service? Plus I feel 16GB of memory with no expandable slot is a big letdown.

Top Liked Posts