Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,151 Members 49,367 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Dream as second phone?

Tip us?

TrissyGE
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default HTC Dream as second phone?

Hey guys i want to bu me a cheap second phone and now i want to know if the dream with a custom rom does itīs job for this?

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2620
Best phone of its time, still best keyboard out there, lots of custom roms to choose from. Depending on what your looking for its a great first phone but a perfect backup

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

cwwilson721
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Many advantages to the G1 as either a first or second phone:
  • It is usually the most affordable Android Phone in various auction sites
  • Rugged dependibility
  • Can't discount the "chic cool" of owning the VERY FIRST Android phone
  • Even if you purchase a damaged one, most parts (LCD Screens, entire cases, keyboards, USB ports, speakers, trackball, and digitizers to name a few) are comparitively cheap, and fairly easy to replace
  • It works VERY WELL in stock form. And rooting/customizing/modding is fairly easy IF YOU READ UP FIRST (As a aside, it's also easy to "brick" if you DON'T READ AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS)
  • Running custom ROMs is real easy. I tend to have 5-6 on my SDCard at any one time, and switch between them at random times (For this, you may want it as a "backup phone", because while you're messing with it in Fastboot and Recovery, you ain't gonna get any phone calls and texts)
I use my G1 as my "main". I bought it for $30 on eBay (was an accidental purchase...lol...Forgot I even bid on it), and except for a small crack on the 'chin', and a "bulged battery, it was perfect. After buying a HUGE battery/back cover for it (about $15), I get 2+ days of use. That's with WiFi, 3G, apps running like mad, and using 4 GB of data last month.

In conclusion, you can't really go wrong with it, as long as you buy a working one. If it isn't working, you MIGHT be able to get it back to life.

Good luck

igorsway
Old
Thanks Meter 0
As an all around phone it's find. A bit sluggish on processor-intensive apps like turn-by-turn navigation, but fine otherwise.

mp_ruda
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Best phone ever

Dudeman Broguy
Old
Thanks Meter 2
A very solid backup. Mine served me well for a couple of years, although I literally had not touched it since I upgraded to my Atrix last May.

Today the Atrix battery has crapped out on me. Still not taking any charge even after being on a charger all last night, all day at work, and since I've been home. I'll probably need to replace it, but when I got home tonight, I found my good 'ole G1 in a drawer of abandoned phones.

Even after sitting idle for over a year, it still powered on immediately, and is running like a champ. As great as the Atrix has been, I still miss this phone on occasion. I'm kind of looking forward to playing around with this one again for a few days.

Shano56
Old
Thanks Meter 548
If you can get it cheap (30ish bucks) then yes it's the best backup phone that money can buy. If not you'd be better off with something like a Nexus One or similar
LG Nexus 5

xillius200
Old
Thanks Meter 101
The g1 is a great phone go for it but as for a true phone that lasts forever the old nokia with only snake and a one colour screen xD i turned it on after being in a loft for four years working perfect

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app
Phones:
HTC Magic 32B
HTC Legend
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 5

Best Devs ever spoke to: 2009-2012 (G1/MT3G)
Firerat, Ezterry, Zachattack052, Anderwebs, Meltus, Royalknight6190, Mikeyman77, Ldrifta, E334, Infinimint, roalex, yohshua, zFr3eak, spikeynick94, domenukk, pl_laszlo and Wesgarner

Roms:
Over 21+ Roms created from 2009-2012

adityo97
Old
Thanks Meter 18
its the first Android phone i owned, and its still my primary phone
its powerfull enough for the basic needs,
phonesupersonichw003recoveryamonra-smelkuslauncherstock/somethingtweaksc.o.d
phonedreamG1hw32Arecoveryamonralauncherstock/something
phoneAndromaxU/innos9chwQualcommGSM+CDMArecoveryTWRPlauncherJBstock/something

KRAZYADROIDMASTER
Old
Thanks Meter 79
I miss that phone. I wished it had a bigger screen and it was faster.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium
LG LGP999 G2X DARK ALE
MADE IN: KOREA
MANUFACTURE DATE 04/19/2011

STOCK

SANDISK: 4 GB CLASS 4 MICRO SD CARD.