XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The Recovery Battle: WCX vs Twrp vs CWM

Tip us?

dizzyraider
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconnbitz2010 View Post
just used TWRP on my Sprint Gnex and love the interface! I used CWM on my old Epic 4G and it worked great too. To me, seeing all the options on that screen is easier....seems stable.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Great point but how would the average Joe know that about a rom before a flash? I'd love to be able to know that and avoid bricking altogether (but wouldn't we all). any tips?
Never used TWRP myself and nothing really against it as it does look nice, but from what I have read is that since it is not build for the Raider/Vivid from the ground up, so it may not be as stable in its current form.

cruzin_cruzing
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 461

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyraider View Post
Never used TWRP myself and nothing really against it as it does look nice, but from what I have read is that since it is not build for the Raider/Vivid from the ground up, so it may not be as stable in its current form.
Whatever you've read is wrong. It's built from thecubed latest ICS source. I've beta tested it and even those builds were pretty stable. The latest version has almost no issues.

Nexus 4, HTC One X
ROM: AICP 2.5

Previous Devices: HTC Vivid, HTC Inspire, Sony Xperia X10, Motorola Razr

bigballa
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzin_cruzing View Post
Whatever you've read is wrong. It's built from thecubed latest ICS source. I've beta tested it and even those builds were pretty stable. The latest version has almost no issues.
TWRP hands down is great. CWM touch was my first favorite but twrp refines the UI that's was makes it the best Touch recovery there is. If you want non touch recovery then cwm hands down.

Sent from my HTC One X 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2
Current Devices:.
HTC One M8 & Google Nexus 7
Bootloader Unlocked | TWRP

Previous Devices:.
Nexus 5 | HTC One M7 | Nexus 4 | Galaxy SIII | HTC One X | Galaxy Note | Galaxy Nexus | Transformer Prime TF201 | Galaxy SII Skyrocket | iPhone 4S | HTC Vivid | Inspire 4G | Bold 9000 | Infuse 4G | Atrix 4G | Atrix | HTC Surround | iPhone 3GS | iPhone 2G | HTC HD2 | HTC G2 | Nexus One | MyTouch 4G | MyTouch Slide | Touch Pro2 | MyTouch | T-Mobile G1

ronnie498
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1785
WCX in my opinion the best choice....

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to ronnie498 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GeeLant
Old
Thanks Meter 2
CWM.. works great with me, never had issues

austin4913
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Agreed...I had issues w cwm. Wcx is what I use on my vivid...just wish the HOX development was further along...but progress takes time..

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

exynos5250x
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Theres no wcx....its AmonRA recovery with holiday recovery.rc and who ever compiled it changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to exynos5250x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thecubed
Old
Thanks Meter 3324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot30 View Post
CWM still has a lot of issues. It's been causing quite a few hard bricks. Anyone that still has it, I would highly suggest switching to WCX recovery. I have yet to try TWRP but from what I've heard from all the devs, it still has a few kinks. I wouldn't recommend anything other than WCX at the moment.

I don't really see it as whats "preferred". You don't want something on your device that can potentially cause a hard brick. A recovery is something you don't use very often, so it's best to go with the one that just works.
CWM has not hard bricked a single phone. The only 'bricks' are caused by bad ROM devs who format /cache in a strange way. To fix this, just boot to fastboot then issue "fastboot erase cache". Done. CWM does not brick phones, it CANT.

slapshot30
Old
Thanks Meter 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecubed View Post
CWM has not hard bricked a single phone. The only 'bricks' are caused by bad ROM devs who format /cache in a strange way. To fix this, just boot to fastboot then issue "fastboot erase cache". Done. CWM does not brick phones, it CANT.
I'm sorry, I should've been more specific. The majority of issues came with the ICS update with regards to rooting. I don't know all the details. All I remember is what Wildchild said and reading all those threads with people with hard bricks involving CWM and the ICS update.

Sent from my HTC Holiday using xda premium
HTC VIVID SUPERGUIDE

BOOTLOADER UNLOCK, PERM ROOT, CWM, FLASHING ROMS/KERNELS, APN SETTINGS, REVERT TO STOCK

The Following User Says Thank You to slapshot30 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theshamrockking
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Alright I have used CWM on plenty of phones and I originally started my vivid off with WCX (I loved it!) I am now on TWRP I have to say that having used CWM on so many devices and for so long that TWRD is just to fancy for me :P i plan on continuing to use TWRP untill the rom in using get its next update in wich then ill go through the time time to change back to WCX. Now dont get me wrong TWRP is amazing for a recovery. Works fast looks nice i had no issues with it but like i said i like the simple idea of a recovery.

Tags
recovery wcx cwm twrp flash