Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[APP] GooManager Beta official thread

OP thereals0up

11th May 2012, 01:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 32
 
109 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
The official app of Goo.im

We have spent a lot of time getting the server side changes in place to automatically parse our developer's rom files to grab data to make a functional OTA update system without the need for editing manifest files, or other tedious tasks. This is our attempt at creating a way for Android developers to simply publish material, and distribute it to the masses without any hassle.

This app is and will always be FREE!

General Features:
  • Ability to browse and search all of the files we have on our site, and download directly to your mobile device.
  • Receive OTA style updates from your favorite rom developers that we have hosted here.
  • CyanogenMod nightly build update support
  • Incremental (differential) rom updates for sequential builds
  • Flashing roms & installing recoveries
  • Update gApps packages

If you would like to sideload the app on your phone and avoid the market, we distribute the APK by itself, and also as a prebuilt repo maintained by solarnz(github.com/solarnz)

Are you a rom developer wanting to publish your work with our updating system?

To get your rom compatible with our updating system, you should make the appropriate changes to your build.props. For more information on this system, see the link below (sorry it's not clickable but i need 8 posts!)

goo.im/howto-rom-updating-via-our-app (For developers who are curious about how to modify their build prop file for compatibility with GooManager)

GooManager download page (To download the actual app)

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • DownloadManager API is buggy on Gingerbread
  • Installing OpenRecoveryScript on devices that do not support flash_image and do not have a /cache/recovery/command supported recovery will fail

FEATURE REQUESTS
Feel free to post them in this thread, but as my time is limited and Goo.im/GooManager's code is just something I do in my free time, there are simply not enough hours in the day to address them all

SHOUT OUTS
  • Chris Solarnz (For his java advice and contributions)
  • Mike Wielgosz (For contributing to the rom reordering and listing code)
  • Dees_Troy for all of his amazing work on OpenRecoveryScript and TWRP
  • eyeballer (For countless nights of helping test stuff, and awesome suggestions)
  • Shift (For the market icon)
  • Drmacinyasha (For all the testing / anal retentive bug reporting)
  • toastcfh (For helping bounce lots of ideas around)
  • EVERYONE ELSE I PROBABLY LEFT OUT!

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Why is _________ phone/tablet not supported?

In order to offer us flexibility without compromising other software such as rom manager premium, etc we did not want to rely on /cache/recovery/extendedcommands. At the time of developing the flash automation features, extended commands were licensed to RM only and it would have been illegal to use them. Since then, the license has changed, but we still feel it is the best direction to have our own since we can change it to fit our needs.

Why does this not work with my recovery i downloaded from Rom Manager?

CWM and CWM touch builds distributed by rom manager ONLY WORK WITH ROM MANAGER SO STOP ASKING!!!! #@$#@$#

Why are incremental updates only available for some roms?

Incremental updates are enabled on a per rom-device basis. Not all builds are even capable of this, since wipe can be required. It is at the discretion of the developer to toggle this as needed.

If you are a developer and would like to sign up: goo.im/signup

If you are a recognized developer, chances are you will get approved. (Note not all buildbox applicants are approved, and you may get only hosting)
Last edited by thereals0up; 11th May 2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: I can make links now!!!!
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to thereals0up For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th May 2012, 02:29 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 4,267
 
4,744 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Awesome. Used it to put TWRP2.1.2 easily on my ATT Galaxy Note.
12th May 2012, 02:32 AM   |  #3  
eyeballer's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,362
 
1,261 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
It's Goo time! Been using this to distribute my unofficial cm9 nightlies for the touchpad and nook color for a while now and we've had nothing but positive feedback from users. Encourage your favorite rom developers to sign up
12th May 2012, 05:03 AM   |  #4  
Dees_Troy's Avatar
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag KC MO
Thanks Meter: 9,875
 
1,613 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2008
Donate to Me
More
Not only is GooManager a great app, the whole ecosystem is, I believe, second to none.
  • A fantastic, simple system for developers to upload their ROMs and specify what device that ROM is for.
  • Easy for device users to find the ROMs that work with their devices.
  • Notifications of ROM updates for the ROM that you're using.
  • Easy download and installation of ROMs for devices with a supported recovery.
  • Differential updates - only flashes the files that have changed from one version to the next - smaller download, less wear and tear on your device, and quicker updates.
15th May 2012, 04:54 PM   |  #5  
britoso's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 286
 
2,743 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
Donate to Me
More
Thanks for this free app!
People don't have to donate to automatically check if there is an update to a CM nightly now.
15th May 2012, 11:58 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
for those of us who are not update-happy (although it is addicting) is there anyway to know from either this app or from Goo notifications in general whether an update requires a full wipe and then the requisite re-setting up of one's device?

I get a notification everyday for the new Gapps and for an update of my ROM (AOKP milestone 5 for Kindle Fire). I've ignored them because I'm just too lazy to spend an hour or two getting everything back up and running.
16th May 2012, 05:24 AM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
I've tried repeatedly to download CM9 nightlies and gapps via the latest market version of the app (2.06 I believe) and I always get a "download failed" message no matter if I'm on wifi or 3g. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing cache, and clearing app data, and nothing seems to work. Is the download manager problem referenced in the OP a problem with ICS as well as GB? I have a Galaxy Nexus (toro) using BAMF Paradigm 1.25 in case that info makes a difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
17th May 2012, 04:19 AM   |  #8  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 32
 
109 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceman5000

I've tried repeatedly to download CM9 nightlies and gapps via the latest market version of the app (2.06 I believe) and I always get a "download failed" message no matter if I'm on wifi or 3g. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing cache, and clearing app data, and nothing seems to work. Is the download manager problem referenced in the OP a problem with ICS as well as GB? I have a Galaxy Nexus (toro) using BAMF Paradigm 1.25 in case that info makes a difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Please get a logcat. It will give you a reason why the download failed. If you are on linux, adb logcat | grep GOO

There seems to be issues with some people or devices that I have yet to narrow down. If you can replicate this bug consistently please contact me on freenode IRC in the #goo-inside.me channel and i'll try to look into it. My time is limited these days hunting a bug i can't reproduce so despite the needs of the community -- work and life comes first!
17th May 2012, 04:20 AM   |  #9  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 32
 
109 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by peters4n6

for those of us who are not update-happy (although it is addicting) is there anyway to know from either this app or from Goo notifications in general whether an update requires a full wipe and then the requisite re-setting up of one's device?

I get a notification everyday for the new Gapps and for an update of my ROM (AOKP milestone 5 for Kindle Fire). I've ignored them because I'm just too lazy to spend an hour or two getting everything back up and running.

It is up to the developer to state whether it requires a wipe in their changelog. Generally nightly builds will not require a full wipe though
The Following User Says Thank You to thereals0up For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th May 2012, 01:17 PM   |  #10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
64 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereals0up

Please get a logcat. It will give you a reason why the download failed. If you are on linux, adb logcat | grep GOO

There seems to be issues with some people or devices that I have yet to narrow down. If you can replicate this bug consistently please contact me on freenode IRC in the #goo-inside.me channel and i'll try to look into it. My time is limited these days hunting a bug i can't reproduce so despite the needs of the community -- work and life comes first!

I have no clue what I'm looking at, but here is the logcat of a download attempt. At least I hope this is what you meant.

http://db.tt/bpWD2LWo

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes