Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

External SD CWM backup?

OP Aquethys

4th May 2012, 01:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Colorado
Thanks Meter: 794

1,266 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi guys,
I have my clockwork mod folder on my external SanDisk 16gb sdhc...does anyone know how to be able to restore this way? Does the backup have to be on internal storage? I don't see a "mount ext sd" option in mounts...
While I'm asking this..
When you move apps to external do they no longer show up in your app drawer...? I'm using go launcher but it seems they disappear when I move them to external sd card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927R using xda premium
11th May 2012, 03:20 AM   |  #2  
Flag Cape Coral, Fl
Thanks Meter: 33

107 posts
More
I would like to know about using the external sd card for cwm instead of internal as well....
11th May 2012, 03:13 PM   |  #3  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 100

572 posts
More
by default from what I read CWM uses the internal SD card but I believe I heard some people mentioning on the forums that you can modify something in the kernel or a config file somewhere to change this. Unfortunately I do not know how sorry.
11th May 2012, 09:04 PM   |  #4  
Flag Cape Coral, Fl

107 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudejb

by default from what I read CWM uses the internal SD card but I believe I heard some people mentioning on the forums that you can modify something in the kernel or a config file somewhere to change this. Unfortunately I do not know how sorry.

Ive looked through every kernel thread and just about every rom thread and dont see anything about being able to switch it over to using your external sd card for backups....it sux but guess its not possible yet
11th May 2012, 09:48 PM   |  #5  
Flag Montreal

572 posts
More
There is a few posts in the CWM thread that talk about swapping the internal SD for the External SD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanr

Can you please mount external sdcard instead of internal one.
/etc/fstab:

Code:
#/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /sdcard vfat rw
/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /sdcard vfat rw

then he says he did it like this below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanr

Thanks, but not needed. I swapped my internal/external storage and this recovery now perfectly fits for me - my .android_secure is backed up by backup tool now - that's only why I asked.

How about adding

Code:
/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /sdcard/external_sd vfat rw
/dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /sd-ext ext4 rw
to the fstab ?

This may do what you want?
The Following User Says Thank You to dudejb For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th May 2012, 11:50 PM   |  #6  
Flag Cape Coral, Fl

107 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudejb

There is a few posts in the CWM thread that talk about swapping the internal SD for the External SD.

then he says he did it like this below:

This may do what you want?

Ill have to give it a try, kinda scared too cuz im a noob at that kinda stuff but i appreciate the help!
12th May 2012, 03:44 AM   |  #7  
Flag Cape Coral, Fl

107 posts
More
ok so im using root explorer, opened up the fstab file to edit and am stuck there, not really sure where to add those commands at...i think it would just be easier to leave it on internal storage lol
12th May 2012, 12:28 PM   |  #8  
Flag Montreal

572 posts
More
Yes it would be easier to leave it as it is. Lol. I have modified the fstab in Linux but not on my phone. If it is the same type of file you need to make sure you are opening it as root and there should already be a line with your current file system being mapped and simply replace it with the new line.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread